As a shut in I have been doing a bunch of projects to stay moderately sane during the stay home spell. I am refinishing several rifles and have found that Alkanet root stain works even over commercial finishes. It is amazing in that it increases grain and figure contrast but also chatoyance. For the factory finishes I rub them down with 400 grit and then 600 grit wet or dry, if they are really scratched up start with 220. This can be used while applying the finish. After the orange peel look and scratches go away then you can use a grey scotch bright pad or OOOO steel wool to wipe on the stain/finish. The steel wool won't embed if the wood is already sealed.

I alternate the alkanet with a harder finish usually an oil varnish mix with driers added to make the finish harder, plain old linspeed/Tru Oil would work too. After about ten or so applications I rub with rotten stone and then wax with Oxblood shoe polish. I am really pleased with the results.

You can get alkanet here: https://mountainroseherbs.com/ I prefer the powdered form as I also make a filler with it. I mix it with food grade Flax oil as this dries extremely slowly and allows the stain to soak in better. I add a lot of turpentine for a very thin solution about 3/4 to 1/4 oil.

If you like the Winchester Red or some of the English firearms color you will like Alkanet root.

A couple of rifles I was going to re-stock but with the re-finish I don't feel the need to so much anymore.

Sorry I don't do photographs but the effect is so subtle it probably wouldn't show up anyway.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli