Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Leanwolf. were all those skits of Festus, and Doc written for fillers to be used when needed?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Did you write the episode where Festus travels to the big city to deliver money to a woman who moved there and asked him to sell her dead father's property? When he gets there, he finds she started work as a prostitute and was making that amount of money in a day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We got our first TV around 1953, when I was maybe seven?. I was used to going down the street a bit and listening to the Gunsmoke radio show (William Conrad as Dillon), with one of our neighbors whose daughters were my best buddies at the time..Their old man worked on the Pennsylvania RR. Forget now what night Gunsmoke came on, but if he was home, I was down there listening to the radio show.

I think the TV version with Arness came on a couple years later? When Gunsmoke came on TV, I still bopped on down the street to listen to the radio show. My dad was pizzed he'd finally got a TV, my favorite show was on and I preferred the radio version.

Friends of ours had a TV long before we did. Squinky little round screen. Dad waited until Zenith came out with a 17" rectangular screen, before he'd buy a TV. He said looking at their TV was like sitting there watching a damn snow globe. wink

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dubePA
We got our first TV around 1953, when I was maybe seven?. I was used to going down the street a bit and listening to the Gunsmoke radio show (William Conrad as Dillon), with one of our neighbors whose daughters were my best buddies at the time..Their old man worked on the Pennsylvania RR. Forget now what night Gunsmoke came on, but if he was home, I was down there listening to the radio show.

I think the TV version with Arness came on a couple years later? When Gunsmoke came on TV, I still bopped on down the street to listen to the radio show. My dad was pizzed he'd finally got a TV, my favorite show was on and I preferred the radio version.

Friends of ours had a TV long before we did. Squinky little round screen. Dad waited until Zenith came out with a 17" rectangular screen, before he'd buy a TV. He said looking at their TV was like sitting there watching a damn snow globe. wink

My grandparents bought a round screen tv.

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
In the early 1960s, we had one something like this.

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

We had a Curtis Mathis that looked just like that. Parents bought it New in 1966, when I was 6, I think. First Color TV. And it had a turntable and radio inside the cabinet. Think they threw it out in 1978, the year I graduated HS, because the TV finally quit.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/22/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RJY66
Nah, Kidding! Its sort of messes with your mind to hear the sound coming out of his mouth while dressed up like Festus after watching a million Gunsmokes. Man was talented!

He was heck of a singer. I remember him singing and playing the guitar in my favorite movie, “The Searchers”

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have autographed pictures of Ken Curtis, Milburn Stone, Dan Blocker and Fess Parker. Don't remember the exact circumstance but it was at some kind of event in Lubbock, Texas in about '66. I was 8.

Last edited by Fugawe; 07/22/20.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I considered Ken Curtiss the most talented actor on Gunsmoke. I wasn't the only Gunsmoke writer who thought this.

L.W.

Were you seriously a writer for Gunsmoke?

Yes. Plus a number of other shows. I am retired now.

L.W.

That’s really cool. Mainly Westerns??

Gunsmoke had some really strong writing. Easily 80-90% of the episodes are strong. I watch Bonanza from time to time, and while some of it is great, there’s lots of corny fluff, too. How many “Gypsy” episodes did they do???

About the only Gunsmoke I turn off, is when it’s a “Kitty gets Kidnapped” episode...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There are quite a few actors with surprising talents.

This one amazed me when I 1st came across it. I'd have never imagined the funnyman could play a banjo!

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always look for Leanwolf's comment on threads like this.

Legendary.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gentlemen, thank you for "congratulations." I'm glad you enjoyed Gunsmoke.

TRH, no, I did not write that episode.

Wabigoon, those were not fillers with Doc and Festus. They were written into the scripts.

I wrote mainly for cops-'n-robbers shows, from the old West, private eye shows, modern cops, and future "cops" (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century). I never wrote for any comedy shows ... unless you call The Dukes of Hazzard comedy. I wrote for Little House On The Prairie, but I'm not sure what genre that would fit in, other than "human Interest" where Mike Landon got to cry a lot. Mike was a good crier.

As an aside, each year at Christmas time the production company of Gunsmoke would throw a big Christmas party on the Dodge City sound stage at CBS Studio City. They'd invite G.S. writers, directors, some production people, etc. Kinda fun to saunter up to the bar of the Long Branch and swill down some good Scotch free gratis for nuthin'. None of that "bust head" whiskey (tea) served to the "cowboys" on the various shows. Food was good, too. No beans, sowbelly, nor biscuits. All catered. That Dodge City set was a standing set at CBS where all the Dodge City scenes were filmed over the years.

As the old adage goes, "Long ago and far away."

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

one side was a record player, the other side was a bar.

I can appreciate that.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/22/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by KFWA

I can appreciate that.

Weren't they called entertainment centers? grin

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Wabigoon, those were not fillers with Doc and Festus. They were written into the scripts.

I wrote mainly for cops-'n-robbers shows, from the old West, private eye shows, modern cops, and future "cops" (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century). I never wrote for any comedy shows ... unless you call The Dukes of Hazzard comedy. I wrote for Little House On The Prairie, but I'm not sure what genre that would fit in, other than "human Interest" where Mike Landon got to cry a lot. Mike was a good crier.

As an aside, each year at Christmas time the production company of Gunsmoke would throw a big Christmas party on the Dodge City sound stage at CBS Studio City. They'd invite G.S. writers, directors, some production people, etc. Kinda fun to saunter up to the bar of the Long Branch and swill down some good Scotch free gratis for nuthin'. None of that "bust head" whiskey (tea) served to the "cowboys" on the various shows. Food was good, too. No beans, sowbelly, nor biscuits. All catered. That Dodge City set was a standing set at CBS where all the Dodge City scenes were filmed over the years.

L.W.

My daughter loves Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - and Gunsmoke too!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There are quite a few actors with surprising talents.

This one amazed me when I 1st came across it. I'd have never imagined the funnyman could play a banjo!

That's the best picking thats ever been on that stage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

L.W.

Thanks for contributing to all those fond memories with families around the tv over the years......the good ol days of wholesome entertainment. They really don't write em like that anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken is in The Quiet Man too......dad was a can. Always pointed him out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken and many others, were part of the John Ford stock company, through the 40s, 50s and 60s. Not many of Ford's films that some or all of them, didn't appear in.

TVs. My dad held off on getting a color TV until the early 1960s. Neighbors had RCAs, but he didn't like them. So we got our first Zenith color TV just in time for the Beatles to appear on Ed Sullivan. Had quite a crowd of my neighborhood friends in for that one. The old man was not amused to have so much company in his living room, just to watch "a bunch of Limey's that couldn't sing and needed haircuts".The old boy was a WWII ETO vet, had dim views of the French and the British.

He was a big fan of the latest/greatest antennas and had to replace whatever we had, with something new and better.We finally put up a three-sided tower on one end of the house, just to gain another ten feet of elevation. Alliance Ten-A-Rotor to adjust the antenna. Then the Zenith Space Command "clicker", for a remote. Used to drive us nuts clicking that damn thing.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by KFWA

I can appreciate that.

Weren't they called entertainment centers? grin

Yes, but our mid-1950's RCA entertainment center looked the same but with darker wood. No bar.Three or four channels.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.