Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I picked up this rifle recently. Its been considerably modified with a 26" Shilen barrel in a varmint profile, Timney trigger, and in what may be a Bishop or Fajen stock. When I got it the stock was painted black and looked terrible. I spent three long days and nights stripping paint, sanding then applying about eight coats of Tru-oil to the nicely figured walnut stock. All the metal has a nice gloss finish which was already done previously along with a reshaped bolt handle. It also came with Leupold rings and bases. Along with the rifle I got RCBS dies, 93 pieces of fire formed brass and a sack of new Winchester brass. Almost forgot, caliber is 6MM Ackley. Out of pocket cash was $365. I don't know much about the Firearms International actions so anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They were built on Commercial FN 98 actions. Sounds like you got a great deal!

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Sometimes you regret repeating what you read but I read they were FN actions and one of the best to build off of. I thought it was a good deal especially if you deduct the cost of the dies and the brass. Now just need to find a load it likes.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Do you see the FN logo on the left rail? May say FAB.NAT.D'Armes DE GUERRE Herstal-Belgique.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Do you see the FN logo on the left rail? May say FAB.NAT.D'Armes DE GUERRE Herstal-Belgique.

No Sir, just Firearms International Corp.Under the stock on the right side,front of the action there was what looked like an FN stamp and 1948.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sounds like like FN for sure. The action is probably worth pretty much what you paid for the whole deal. Good pick-up.

Last edited by LEADMINER; 07/23/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One of my .270s is a F.I., also a 1948. Check the breech. You may have lucked into a rare C-ring like I did. Those were only made in 1948 AFIK. Adds a bit to your score if there.

Mine has a pretty heavy barrel. The complete rig with an M8 6x in regular Talleys and a B&C Medalist is 9lbs 4.9oz. Just switched out the standard trigger for a Timney set at 2.5lbs.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'm a little uninformed (dumb) about Mausers even though I've had a couple. Whats the C-ring?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Original Mauser design only had one raceway cut thru the barrel abutment ring, hence a "C". Much later to ease machining I think two cuts were made. Maybe it's a point with purists, but I doubt either is stronger or better, it's all about ease of manufacture. I think...maybe...probably...perhaps. Where the hell is gnoaaaah?

Last edited by flintlocke; 07/23/20.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Had one that I never used in a 300 Win and traded off. A well assembled and good looking rifle that I wished I could recover when I moved out west.

1Minute
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
In my opinion, anything 98 is a pretty good deal at that price. Of course I'm a Yugo lover and there's much smoother 98 styles than a yugo.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pyscodog
I'm a little uninformed (dumb) about Mausers even though I've had a couple. Whats the C-ring?

flintlock described it well. A search will provide a good image on a barreless action. Not a strength issue so much as a gas-handling one. In the event of a case failure, the extra cut on the left allows escaping gas to go down the left raceway straight towards one's pretty face. With the original bolt shroud in place, it may be deflected. Also, military actions, in addition to the c-ring, have the thumb cut for stripper clip loading which gives gas another place to go. I've seen comments that declare that thumb cut to be a deliberate gas-handling feature, but I'm inclined to think that benefit was a happy accident.

Not a big deal if one's Mauser lacks the c-ring, but a nice bonus if it's there. I've owned a number of FNs and a couple of Mark Xs. Only my 1948 has had it. Case failures are less common than they once were, and there's always that shroud flange.

Open your bolt and look at the chamber area. If it looks like a "C", you've got one. If there's a cut at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, it's an "H" ring. Don't fret in either case, you made a good score.

BTW, we want pics! It's almost a rule here, dontcha know.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/24/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I looked and mines not a c-ring. But I think its going to make a nice rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Without question.

Now, about those pictures......

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Sorry but I don't know how to post pics.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I looked again today in better light and my action is a c-ring action. I guess thats a good thing??????

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I looked again today in better light and my action is a c-ring action. I guess thats a good thing??????
Meh, not in today's market and only if you plan on selling the rifle to someone who just wants the action to build on. Won't make it shoot any better currently!

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Around here Mauser's aren't hot items. There are still some that like them. I bought it knowing it will take someone special if it ever goes up for sale. I bought it more as a project and I liked the caliber. The Mauser action doesn't bother me. I have a Ruger 77 and a Beretta Mato. Not a lot of difference in them. Its going to be fun to shoot and thats the main objective.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You got a fine deal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Well it certainly doesn't hurt!

Just another raisin in your good-deal cookie. Some prefer them (and also the thumb-cut) to the extent they'll go to the considerable extra trouble of using a military action for builds, or so I've read. I wouldn't go that far.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.