Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Classified.

Several servers.

NSA approved.

Mind your own business

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Concrete slab

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just found a YouTube where the reviewer shows some very good on-screen looks at five Linux distros - including the ones I described above. He rates MX as his favorite, but only for those who are NOT new to Linux, and I second that. His comments about Zorin and Mint are spot on. Zorin Core is something anybody can use, and Mint is just about the perfect Linux distro for 90+% of people switching from Windows. Watch this vid. Here it is:

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Running Firefox on an old Dell Vista machine that's been updated to Win 7
4 Gb
64 bt
AMD Phenom 9650 Quad Core processor 2.30 GHZ
I've been thinking about trying Linux, just not sure I'm up to the challange these days.

Would Mint allow use of Open Office for my spreadsheets and other apps?

Last edited by Ole_270; 07/23/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It comes with Libre Office, which will read the same files. You could, if you desired, change to Open Office instead, just by remove and install.

The hardest part of switching is the process of copying all your data files to outside media first. NOT by using "backup" but by directly moving them to USB sticks, an external drive, or even DVDs. Documents, photos, videos, music, etc. If you use a password cache program like RoboForm, you want to export those as well.

After that, it's pretty simple to make a bootable USB stick with the Mint iso on it, and boot to that USB.

IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It comes with Libre Office, which will read the same files. You could, if you desired, change to Open Office instead, just by remove and install.

The hardest part of switching is the process of copying all your data files to outside media first. NOT by using "backup" but by directly moving them to USB sticks, an external drive, or even DVDs. Documents, photos, videos, music, etc. If you use a password cache program like RoboForm, you want to export those as well.

After that, it's pretty simple to make a bootable USB stick with the Mint iso on it, and boot to that USB.

Rocky, why screw around with all this crap? 24HCF runs just fine with whatever came with my laptop.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Atari 64

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Commodore VIC-20

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Chromebook to type and ipad to surf...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using the 24 hr Campfire Apple APP on my Samsung galaxy note

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Indy, that's all well and good for you. Others may not be having such good luck. Or their Windows 7 machines are now unsupported by Microsoft and thus are more and more insecure every day.

OR, they're simply fed up to here with the tracking, the mandatory changes to their system that can't be undone, and the frustrating updates that lock them out for the duration - and may not work ever again when they reboot. They realize that if you run Windows, you don't own your machine, Microsoft does.

And they want that ownership back.

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by hanco
I don’t have a clue, always on my iPhone.

I'm always on my phone too, but the site isn't the most mobile friendly.

Originally Posted by tedthorn
I'm using the 24 hr Campfire Apple APP on my Samsung galaxy note

Is there an app? I don't have an Android, but just looked in Apple's app store and didn't see anything. An app would be ideal so that I'm always logged in and can easily browse posts and reply. I find myself using the desktop most often for this site simply because its easier. However if there was a more mobile friendly solution, I'd likely be on this forum 5X more.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just stand on my deck. It's only 2' high but it's enough of a platform for the crowds that I'm likely to draw.

Best answer!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folding table from WalMart...

With laptop, lamp, and printer

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Windows 7 machines are now unsupported by Microsoft

Many of us use Microsoft, but not everyone in the world relies on them for virus protection.

1Minute
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I just set my laptop on my desk, it works great for a platform.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was a devoted Windows user since the days of DOS and Windows 3.1. It was great up through Windows 7 - which was the most widely used operating system ever. Then came Vista, Win 8, and finally 10. Today, Windows is no longer an operating system for us, it's a system for them to operate us. It has become a "their way or the highway" monster. And I at last had enough of staring at blue screens while "they" changed my computer in ways I neither asked for or wanted, only to discover that the changes allowed them to watch everything I did online.

And so I left Windows behind.

Like many converts, either religion or computers, I have become vocal about my new belief. Some would say a zealot. I'd rank myself somewhere in the middle of the "proponent, enthusiast, fanatic, zealot" scale. Not yet a fanatic but certainly an enthusiast. Bear with me if I seem too much a missionary for Linux.

I would, however, love to know that I have converted one or two others.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I must say, I have really never had an issue with my PC's both professionally and personally for decades. A couple of years ago I swapped a well used MS based laptop for an Apple MacBook as some of the keys would intermittently respond. I use ESET security and they all just worked. I am enjoying the lightweight Apple in my travels.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Laptop, Windows 10, Chrome.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.