Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Nice, Bristoe. I've got several Model 10s (M&Ps), too, to include a couple of early 1950s specimens ("five screws"), one four inch and one six inch. Great classic lines.

I snatched up a bunch of them from various manufacturing periods back when really nice ones still filled up the used gun cases in gun stores for very reasonable prices (between $350 and $450.00, depending on date of manufacture).

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I must say, however, that these guns shoot MUCH better for me with a set of Tyler T-Grip Adapters installed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Speaking of .38 Spl., I ordered yet another Model 10 from an out of state gunshop today. I think I'm going to get a IWB rig and make it my CCW.

I've been through a *few* Model 10's in my life. To the extent that no other handgun feels right to me. So I just decided to quit fighting it.

This one will make 5 that I own.

Hickok45 likes 'em too.

Hickok says "You probably wouldn't want to make it your carry gun." I don't know about that. A two or three inch barrel (round butt) Model 10 makes a fantastic concealed carry gun in a good IWB holster.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but the Model 10 (then called the Hand Ejector Model) in .38 Special was first introduced as a black powder cartridge revolver. It was almost immediately, however, transitioned to a smokeless powder loading.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Speaking of .38 Spl., I ordered yet another Model 10 from an out of state gunshop today. I think I'm going to get a IWB rig and make it my CCW.

I've been through a *few* Model 10's in my life. To the extent that no other handgun feels right to me. So I just decided to quit fighting it.

This one will make 5 that I own.

Hickok45 likes 'em too.

Hickok says "You probably wouldn't want to make it your carry gun." I don't know about that. A two or three inch barrel (round butt) Model 10 makes a fantastic concealed carry gun in a good IWB holster.

As mentioned, I'm going to use a 4" pencil barrel as a carry gun. It's the handgun that I'm the most familiar with. So I stopped trying to "make" something else work and bought one specifically for that purpose.

These holsters seem as if they would make a Model 10 easy enough to carry and conceal.

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/DblClip.htm

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I must say, however, that these guns shoot MUCH better for me with a set of Tyler T-Grip Adapters installed.

I put some of these boot grips on my 4" round butt. I like them very well. I have a pair on order for a square butt K frame. They're not as compact as the boot grips but they're very slim in profile,..which makes them good for concealed carry.

https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Grip-Supply-Rosewood-Checkered/dp/B019YJUQJ2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but the Model 10 (then called the Hand Ejector Model) in .38 Special was first introduced as a black powder cartridge revolver. It was almost immediately, however, transitioned to a smokeless powder loading.
My Father-in-Law has one that has been re-blued and had replacement (S&W) grips. Very nice gun. I haven't seen that gun in so long that I'd forgotten. Somebody had put a rear sight on it too.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 07/23/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd really like to get a Model 10, mostly just because, and you can still find them for reasonable at least not outrageous prices.

But being left handed I rarely have good luck with fixed sighted handguns and especially those with a groove rear sight, they shoot to the right for me. Elevation differences are not too bothersome since one needs to allow for some range of trajectory anyway but holding off for windage is a lot more trouble.

Oh well, I can still vicariously enjoy all of y'all's fine pieces. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I'd really like to get a Model 10, mostly just because, and you can still find them for reasonable at least not outrageous prices.

But being left handed I rarely have good luck with fixed sighted handguns and especially those with a groove rear sight, they shoot to the right for me. Elevation differences are not too bothersome since one needs to allow for some range of trajectory anyway but holding off for windage is a lot more trouble.

Oh well, I can still vicariously enjoy all of y'all's fine pieces. wink

When left handed people consistently shoot right regardless of which fixed sighted handguns they try, it often means it's your technique, likely the placement of your finger on the trigger or a failure to pull the trigger straight back.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

I'm embarrassed to say what I paid for my most recent Model 10. And it probably *will* be my last one. The prices for nice examples really started climbing a few years ago.

I'll still scoop a nice one if I ever sneak up on one at a good price. But it's gotten very unusual to sneak up on a nice older S&W revolver.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was watching a Model 35 (6" J-frame .22) on gunbroker all week where it sat at $599 until about one hour before the auction ended, then it was bid up to $720 and that's with $50-60 in shipping on top of that.

Kept telling myself all week "I don't need it (but I want it), I don't need it (but I want it)..." and was willing to pay any price with a 6 as the first digit but just had to set a limit on "want" stuff. Unless some radical change occurs S&W's are the new Colt Snakes and have been for a while. The old Colts have been priced up out of most folks' reach so now they're looking at Smiths as the new collectibles and pretty much any pre-lock Smith qualifies.

I know, I know, they're only going to get more expensive but my fun budget rate of increase isn't keeping pace with the rising intersection of supply and demand these days and a fellow just has to get picky and set limits.

This week I have to talk myself out of this one for reasons previously given plus the fact that I've bought another Smith .38, a Ruger SP101 and getting a Model 14 reblued all within the last month.

5" thin barrel, post 1980 but still a beauty. $600 buy it now.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

If anyone wants it, here's the link.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I was watching a Model 35 (6" J-frame .22) on gunbroker all week where it sat at $599 until about one hour before the auction ended, then it was bid up to $720 and that's with $50-60 in shipping on top of that.

Kept telling myself all week "I don't need it (but I want it), I don't need it (but I want it)..." and was willing to pay any price with a 6 as the first digit but just had to set a limit on "want" stuff. Unless some radical change occurs S&W's are the new Colt Snakes and have been for a while. The old Colts have been priced up out of most folks' reach so now they're looking at Smiths as the new collectibles and pretty much any pre-lock Smith qualifies.

I know, I know, they're only going to get more expensive but my fun budget rate of increase isn't keeping pace with the rising intersection of supply and demand these days and a fellow just has to get picky and set limits.

This week I have to talk myself out of this one for reasons previously given plus the fact that I've bought another Smith .38, a Ruger SP101 and getting a Model 14 reblued all within the last month.

That's a nice one because it has the six inch pencil barrel, no key lock, and still has the firing pin on the hammer and forged steel trigger, hammer, and sear. Not to mention being in pristine condition. All despite not being pre-82 (so no pinned barrel).

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You don't see many of these around, that's why I grabbed it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

I've got one of those just like that in virtually 100% condition that was made in '63. I bought it off of gunbroker about 10 years ago for $240. Even at the time I knew it was a good price to pay for it. But considering what's going on with them, I wouldn't take $600 for it today.

They're not making any more of them. Once it's gone, it's gone. And if I ever want another one it'll cost more than I sold the last one for.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Yep, a pre-82 Model 64. Not that common. I think I have a two inch, round butt, one of those. I seem to remember owning it. Might have sold it, but think it's still in the safe somewhere.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

They're not making any more of them. Once it's gone, it's gone. And if I ever want another one it'll cost more than I sold the last one for.

Yep. Exactly.

PS Hey, I just hit 100,000 posts. That's a record. Does that make me the first Campfire Demigod?

Damn, I'm still just a Campfire Oracle. What's up, Rick?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Stainless/walnut is a terrific combination we don’t see enough of.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep. Exactly.

PS Hey, I just hit 100,000 posts. That's a record. Does that make me the first Campfire Demigod?

You have transcended titles...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Yep. Exactly.

You have transcended titles...

LOL. grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Yep, a pre-82 Model 64. Not that common. I think I have a two inch, round butt, one of those. I seem to remember owning it. Might have sold it, but think it's still in the safe somewhere.

Pre-82? Yes, but it's the no dash 64, the only 64 with a pencil barrel. Made for 2 years.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,262
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.