Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Is the Compassion that one feels in support of a friend, family member or colleague that has lost a loved one to death... scalable?

If a young girl dies of a brain tumor there will be a measure of compassion for her family by most.

If a great great grandfather of 107 years of age passes away from liver failure is there the same level of compassion for his family or loved ones?

If a drug dealer in Chicago is killed at the hands of a rival drug dealer... is there the same level of empathy for him as there would be for a similar total stranger dying from a lightning strike in Macon Georgia?

If my coworker at the factory dies of Coronavirus is his death somehow more noble or more special or more noteworthy then the other co-worker that died of a heart attack?

Is dying by a headline news illness more Vogue... more significant... more deserving of gushing empathy then someone that dies in a simple car accident?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Is CV19 the 2020 sequel to Stephen Crane's "Red Badge of Courage"?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Is the Compassion that one feels in support of a friend, family member or colleague that has lost a loved one to death... scalable?

If a young girl dies of a brain tumor there will be a measure of compassion for her family by most.

If a great great grandfather of 107 years of age passes away from liver failure is there the same level of compassion for his family or loved ones?

Yes to this part. It’s scalable.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Compassion or how much we care is directly related to how close something is to us personally. A isosceles triangle is the perfect representation of this.

The length of a horizontal segment between any two points of the legs represents how much you care, the height is how far away from you something is. The base is you and everything that affects your day to day life. The further away from that you go, the less you care.

A tsunami in Southeast Asia kills thousands and thousands of people and leaves many more homeless. Most people will think, "oh, that's terrible, those poor people. Hmm, what's on TV tonight?" The effect on your personal life is way up near the vertex.

If your beloved pet dies that's very close to the base and many people will go into genuine grief lasting days or weeks.

In your examples of a young girl, an old man, a drug dealer or a co-worker, how close those people (or perhaps their families) are to you personally is the determinant of your compassion. That drug dealer was some Momma's sweet boy and the old man was someone's father or some kid's beloved Pop Pop.

[Linked Image from dj1hlxw0wr920.cloudfront.net]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sympathy means that you understand what the other person is feeling without feeling it yourself.

Empathy means that you feel what another person is feeling (sadness, for example).

Compassion means your feelings have motivated you to take action to relieve the suffering of another person.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Thank you Jim and Antlers... very much appreciate your thoughts.

If a lateral load from a Cat 4 hurricane can be calculated on a building...

Or a bearing capacity calculated on a highway surface...

My question was how can compassion be measured.

Compassion IS an action... thus a measurable "load".

When a "Karen" DEMANDS compassion because a piece of lettuce in her salad is slightly wilted...

When BLM DEMANDS compassion from me... but abhores Sympathy or Empathy because ONLY "BLACK" lives matter... my fugh you meter goes off.

Someone demanding control over how I might respond to an event. Forcing me to navigate their maze of rules as to what they will possibly accept as my condolences... my compassion...

Same is true when .GOV "LEGISLATES" that I must BY FORCE OF LAW show compassion to all people by wearing a yellow ribbon... or a filthy maxipad across my face.

When my fellow man DEMANDS that I must care about the boil on their azz... or the health risk they fear (regardless of fact or logic). i.e. If you are in really [bleep] health... stay the fugh home... My compassion is spent without my permission... it is stolen and consumed like a thief would take my horse and lift my wallet.

With my now bankrupt compassion capacity... I have less to give my wife... my family... my friends... even my dog.

If Compassion is therein a measurable currency... like money... to demand and steal it with impunity is theft.

STOP PLAYING VICTIM...

And the boil on you azz... lance it your damn self puzzy.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Thank you Jim and Antlers... very much appreciate your thoughts.

If a lateral load from a Cat 4 hurricane can be calculated on a building...

Or a bearing capacity calculated on a highway surface...

My question was how can compassion be measured.

Compassion IS an action... thus a measurable "load".

When a "Karen" DEMANDS compassion because a piece of lettuce in her salad is slightly wilted...

When BLM DEMANDS compassion from me... but abhores Sympathy or Empathy because ONLY "BLACK" lives matter... my fugh you meter goes off.

Someone demanding control over how I might respond to an event. Forcing me to navigate their maze of rules as to what they will possibly accept as my condolences... my compassion...

Same is true when .GOV "LEGISLATES" that I must BY FORCE OF LAW show compassion to all people by wearing a yellow ribbon... or a filthy maxipad across my face.

When my fellow man DEMANDS that I must care about the boil on their azz... or the health risk they fear (regardless of fact or logic). i.e. If you are in really [bleep] health... stay the fugh home... My compassion is spent without my permission... it is stolen and consumed like a thief would take my horse and lift my wallet.

With my now bankrupt compassion capacity... I have less to give my wife... my family... my friends... even my dog.

If Compassion is therein a measurable currency... like money... to demand and steal it with impunity is theft.

STOP PLAYING VICTIM...

And the boil on you azz... lance it your damn self puzzy.

CK,

Compassion can be measured.

There's been several experiments, so are done via surveys, other based on how much money people give as an example, at the funeral of a loved one, or a member of their community, to say victim relief efforts for a natural disaster in a foreign country.

Here's an interesting result of these studies. Conservatives have more compassion for people close to them. Far left liberals demonstrate more compassion victims they do not personally know.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Yes to this part. It’s scalable.

P

Agreed.

Ever lose a great dog?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is not scalable. One might assemble what would be considered "evidence" and a variety of comparative examples - but one cannot measure the nature and degree of the thoughts and feelings of another person - ever. Just look at him/her - is he/she feeling genuine compassion? Good luck.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If a drug dealer in Chicago is killed at the hands of a rival drug dealer... is there the same level of empathy for him as there would be for a similar total stranger dying from a lightning strike in Macon Georgia?

If my coworker at the factory dies of Coronavirus is his death somehow more noble or more special or more noteworthy then the other co-worker that died of a heart attack?

Is dying by a headline news illness more Vogue... more significant... more deserving of gushing empathy then someone that dies in a simple car accident?

Simply put, those closest to us have more impact.

I will grant that some wear their feelings on their shirt sleeve to put on a shew, but it means nothing and just pegs them as posers.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Contemplated my original premise further overnight.

If compassion can be defined as the outward physical expression of love or caring... and it is measurable in capacity. For example, regardless of how much you care for someone... after 4 days your your compassion fuel tank is completely empty and you must sleep.

Vince Lombardi said... fatigue makes cowards of us all.

‐---------------

Similar... if a dollar is a measure of stored labor... effort/labor is also scalable... a fiscal fuel tank can be filled by labor.

Honor/valor is also earned and stored. Noble efforts are also scalable.

For a "Karen"... or a politician... or an antifa to demand or take by force of law any of the above it's tantamount to theft.

With great fervor... reject all that would claim victim status falsely in an action to steal from you.

If you are sitting naked on the sofa in your parents basement eating a wedge of cheese and watching Netflix and suddenly you decide to run with scissors and sever your penis... you are not a victim.

When Madison put pen-to-paper in 1787 it is my belief that all of the above was clearly self-evident.

Last edited by CashisKing; 07/24/20. Reason: Typos... I am a victim of typos.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,716 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.