Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I am with SamOlson, If i can't get a bad cow or bull moved or doctored, our in a trailer, they turn into hambuger, I can only think of 2 or 3 over the years, the one i remember the best killed the horse i was riding, missed my left leg by about 6" a ran a horn into my horses flank and gutted him. I shot both of them. lost a damn good horse, and and a nasty bull. Rio7

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
if you can get a rope on him tie up to a tractor and drag him to the corral

next time , if its foot rot just dart him in the pasture

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My bull, a four year old Angus, was acting like he was lame last week. Laid up under a tree for two days, and on the day I was going to get him up and call the vet, he got up and started moving around like nothing was wrong. Been fine ever since. He is pretty gentle as far as bulls go, but I don’t trust ANY of them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 45_100
This post made me feel much better about my day today. I spent four hours treating two cows. One has pinkeye and the other had stepped on a T-post clip which was embedded in her hoof. Had a hard time getting them caught, moved to the house, loaded in the squeeze chute and treated. Have to treat the eye again tomorrow. Guy helping me got thrown from his horse.
At least I am not the only one.

I fooled with a cow's foot problem for weeks .got her up and inspected her hoof and did not see anything abnormal . two rounds of Antibiotics and light duty pulled her through . I really stopped being concerned when she calved about a month ago . their reproductive system shuts down if they have major health issues .

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 07/23/20.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Better treat that bull nice. As we all know now, Black Lives Matter.

Buncha protesters will be in your front yard in a jiffy with signs.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
After half jumping a fence, Ferdinand is now on the adjoining state land.

It'd be as easy to lead Bade the Blue Ox west on Highway 2 to Sam's ranch at Wolf point as to drive the bull 200 yards to the corral.

I would be pizzed too if I got named Ferdinand

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 07/23/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
In the last 7 months I have gotten so pissed at two old cows that I shot them. One out in a pasture(after she blew out of a little trap 3 times) and one right in our main corral(after she chased my old man around a bale feeder and wouldn't let us even enter the pen to sort her out).

Bang flops both.

We have one more crazy bitch(#403) who is going to town right after we wean this fall. She's fine out in the pasture but gets flat ringy in a corral. Dangerous and hard on stuff, a guy doesn't need to put up with that kind of behavior.

I like your attitude.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
The bulls, or the people ?

The bulls.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the most docile of stock turn into demons when injured. Do be careful.

Anyone in the herd I help with gets culled if they get the least bit rowdy. Another large ranch south of us likes aggressive cattle as they run pairs in huge pastures and want stock willing to fight for their calves. If one head/heels them for treatment, he better be well out of the way, as they come up with an attitude.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/23/20.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cowman to ask about Fescue ergot poisoning

A neighbor lost a couple hundred head a few winters back when he shipped in tons of cheap fescue straw from the Williamette Valley grass seed fields. He was warned to cut with local grass hay, but thought he could get by. Feet started freezing when we dipped into our typical winter cold snap. Not a pretty sight, and thankfully the press did not become aware and take pictures.

1Minute
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Dad had 2 comments concerning bulls - both true.

"The cow business would be EASY, if not for bulls."

And - "Remember, any time you're messing with bulls - you're messing with dynamite - bulls are continuously primed, though."

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 1minute
cowman to ask about Fescue ergot poisoning

A neighbor lost a couple hundred head a few winters back when he shipped in tons of cheap fescue straw from the Williamette Valley grass seed fields. He was warned to cut with local grass hay, but thought he could get by. Feet started freezing when we dipped into our typical winter cold snap. Not a pretty sight, and thankfully the press did not become aware and take pictures.

Fescue can be a mother for cattle not accustomed to it. I bought 59 head off the University of Arkansas last year. By Fall 24 pregged open. Hard lesson learned. Never even thought to ask as they are so close to me. But they run on a bermuda and bluestem forage base in the summer. I had a bull break his leg 4 days into season last year and had to buy a bull in a hurry. I have his turnout picture and 90ish day later picture. Looked like he was starving with grass in abundance. Had 2 of them melt like that last year. The cows raised here just keep chugging along though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, this is what a real bull looks like;

This one was named Caesar.

Registered Simetal

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
In the last 7 months I have gotten so pissed at two old cows that I shot them. One out in a pasture(after she blew out of a little trap 3 times) and one right in our main corral(after she chased my old man around a bale feeder and wouldn't let us even enter the pen to sort her out).

Bang flops both.

We have one more crazy bitch(#403) who is going to town right after we wean this fall. She's fine out in the pasture but gets flat ringy in a corral. Dangerous and hard on stuff, a guy doesn't need to put up with that kind of behavior.

Exactly, 98% of the population has never been in this situation and had to make hard choices. That's why they're ignorant as a box of rocks, softer than baby sh*t. Some critters are just not going to work with others and need to be put down. That goes for 2 legged critters also. But as a nation of city folks that don't understand reality, we start protecting the outliers. In two years you will have a granola group standing outside your arena chanting " CRAZY COW LIVES MATTER !! " YOu can't tell her what to do!! hahaha. BOOM! Problem solved. " Booms" solve lots of problems.

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No way is H*LL that Angus bull weigh 2,800 lbs.

1,800 maybe..

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

A Hoss for sure.

He looks like a Santa Gertrudis.

But that would be more likely in TX or OK.

Up in your colder country, big red bull would more likely be a Limousin or such, but the ears aren't right,

This bull shows Brahman influence with droopy ears and some hump.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
To AI, instead of catching 1 bull, you have to catch a couple dozen cows.
I haven't messed with AI in many years. Is it still the rule that you can't register AI calves?
Don't think that's right. We registered AI and embryo transfer calves. You just gotta have the right paper work, have legal access to the semen from the source if you don't own the bull. Bull owner issues an AI certificate that you turn in with the registration application.DF
I bought a registered Hereford bull 6 years ago that was AI sired. Sire must have been from a northern state. He had a good coat of hair a suffered on hot days.

So true.

You gotta watch for that, breed for the climate using genetics acclimated to your area.

Another thing, breed for the pasture you have. A 1,600 pound cow from CO, where the grass has high protein, low moisture content, won't do well in LA where the grass is bulkier with more moisture. A 1,600 # cow on 1,200 # pasture won't keep very well, will need to be fed. Breed for 1,200 # cows if your pasture will maintain a 1,200 # cow without supplemental feed. Feeding'em is not cost effective. They gotta make it on grass.

Local cattlemen like to buy "long tail" heifers from FL and the SE USA, bring them to LA. They'll fatten and keep well on our delta pastures. "Long tail", means they're older. They don't like to buy CO bred, big frame cows for LA, they'll not keep well. Same deal for bull selection.

My Dad always said, keep'em headed west, not the other way around.

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I know I give the Holstein bulls a very wide birth on the dairy farm in NE WI, they're huge beasts!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

A Hoss for sure.

He looks like a Santa Gertrudis.

But that would be more likely in TX or OK.

Up in your colder country, big red bull would more likely be a Limousin or such, but the ears aren't right,

This bull shows Brahman influence with droopy ears and some hump.

DF

Dirt, it's a droughmaster, from back in my old home land, sub tropical Australia !!

http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/86/droughtmaster/

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.