Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just off the phone with a Canadian friend. He went to see a friend that lives in a shack, not cabin, shack on an island on a lake way away from town. No hydro, no well, no propane, just a wood cooking stove.

This fellow, and his cat, and a lot of books. He takes his canoe to a landing, then rides his bicycle to town. He sometimes plays his banjo, and folks might pitch a little money in his hat.

Another thing I'd like to do some day. meet this interesting gentleman.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd guess there's a sad story therein Wabi. Probably has to do with a woman!

LOL
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I asked if he'd been married, yes, and daughter some where.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a friend that lived in a wall tent above McCall Idaho for years on State ground..He lived off of fish and mushrooms ..He dried all the fish,mostly sqawfish..He just gave up on how things are..Not a hippy,just a normal guy that did not like the way things are/were..

It was interesting to see how he did everything in a place that got at least six feet of snow in the winter and only awall tent and a true sheep hearders stove..He bought a place in N Idaho and cut his own tree's to build his house..Haven't been up there yet but am planning to..The guy is knowledgeable about survival and the primitive way.

There is another guy down by Riggins Idaho that does the same,travels the backcountry on foot and living there..He has different stashes and food buried..Cool guy..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There's a island for sale in Red Lake, hopes it's not the one he lives on.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Trap Lake, south of Dryden.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was an old man who lived in my Community in BC about 45 years ago. He lived in a Cabin in the bush, we always wondered what had happened to him because he was obviously challenged mentally, he wore literally rags and ran everywhere he went. He was out everyday running the roads and would go down to the school and run around the track, a real head scratcher, lol. He was known as "the hermit" or "nature boy".

I felt sorry for the fellow as I watched other kids tease him and make fun of him. He would come into the school and play the Piano, he was awesome on the Piano and we found out he was a Music Professor at a large University here in BC.
As it turned out his wife and kids were killed in an auto accident previously, proving to be too much for him.

When I was about 10 years old I asked him what was on the other side of that mountain. I pointed, he said, another Mountain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How does he keep himself in wood, especially in winter?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't know, good question. I'd like to boat to his place, take some books to him.

If he would let me, and if I could learn how, video him playing banjo.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Use to be lots of old Geezers locally who lived out in the bush—some of them were downright anti-social and some were pretty friendly—some lived pretty rough and some had some fairly nice cabins set up. Most of the ones I dealt with were Finns from the old country—some of them expected the Russians to invade and were prepared for that. One was a Pole and another was Ukrainian—they hated Russians too.
I never met any Russians.
The Pole told me he could never trust me—I have a German name.
There was a guy named Bechwirth—lived on an island North of Armstrong. Story I heard was he was American and after having invented the ball-point pen—or sumsuch he removed himself from society.
Richard you must be familiar with the Hermit of White Otter Lake—Scotsman who built a 3 story log castle. That’s kinda a hard place to get to.
I have running water and electricity but I know a lotta local people think I’m a little strange

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks Karl, always good to hear from you. Yes I've heard of the White Otter Castle, I've never seen it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The picture are a bad fit, just listen please.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I hate when I run out of hydro

$15 a gram

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting book (kids' book actually), Onion John, about what happens when well-intentioned people interfere with a happy hermit.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have to mention nobodys favorite hermit.
The mathematical prodigy who entered Harvard at 16 and graduated in two years.
You probably heard of him, guy by the name of Ted Kaczynski grin

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, we have heard of him.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You don't have to be a hermit to live in a shack. I have known a few Ranchers with a gob of money, land and livestock, one was a racehorse man.
This guy became quite a good friend and superb horseman, everthing was done horseback or with a team. The way it should be today, imo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wabigoon,

Quite a story.
That last one and your friend's.

Reminds me of a retired teacher who lived at one of the prettiest places in a nearby county. We would take the teen boys and their Dads to see the waterfalls, rapids, wildlife on a campout there.

We would be greeted by Rosy who lived in a shack like that. At first, she was defensive because she was used to being harassed by strangers. Then she'd warm up and talk a while. She's now richer than anyone would ever imagine.

We sat down on the bridge next to her home and talked about the Lord. She quoted verses when I would mention the references, before I had a chance to even read them. She memorized them for her Sunday School teacher as a little girl. Somehow, those seeds that were planted way back around 70 years earlier came to mind. That day they brought forth fruit.
She decided to trust Christ as her Savior on that old bridge. Now she's in heaven and has a mansion!

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/John-14-3/

As I wrote this, a video tract came to mind that I just came across yesterday. It's the video above the pastor's picture, most of the way down the page. What a blessing! It's the first time that I saw that connection.

https://mountainviewbaptistcuster.com/5-facts-you-must-face/

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
There are different kinds of, rich.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the late 60's my parents bought a home in a little town called Yarnell. Across the street lived Mr. Trumpy. He was an old sourdough from Alaska. Lived in a little place about 20' x 20' square. Bathroom was partioned off but the rest was one room. Had a twin bed, a recliner, an end table and wood stove. Always neat and clean. He told us you kids can come over before noon but not after. My dad said he started drinking at noon and didn't want anyone coming around. My mom still owns the house but Mr. Trumpy died many years ago.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.