S
Is that a 22" barrel? I think that would look nice on my 22" 9.3x62

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smallfry
This is a great thread. I am stuck at a crossroad with my win 70 338 24". Hunters edge, compact edge, Brown Precision...?

I like the Hunters Edge/compact on a smaller sporter with a 22" (have one on a Rem Seven 7mm SAUM and love it on that rifle). I put one on a M70 270WSM with a 24" barrel and didn't like it at all on that rifle - way too slim/short for a 24" full sporter barrel. I have several of the M70 Supergrades, and short of the Echols Legend, I like it better than any others I've seen for a hunting sporter. The forearm is squarish, but it honestly works much better than it looks (great off just about any kind of rest, backpack, etc.).

Shameless plug - I have a couple listed in the classifieds, just trying to slim down the herd of extra stocks some.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I have had a Brown Precision on a 22" barreled 270, a couple different mcmillan fwt stocks (two on fwts, one on a std barreled 7 mag), one edge compact on a fwt 280, a supergrade (edge) on a stainless 7 mag and a slimmed down std barreled 270.
Killed a pile of game with that Brown stocked 270 and liked it, a lot. I am currently using a fwt stocked 270 (winlite) that I really like, it will stick around!
I was not crazy about the compact stock or the supergrade, neither was all that comfortable for me and the supergrade felt a bit clubby.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
a 'this is too much great information to lose' bump :-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How would you guys compare the Mcmillan Compact and the Bridges? Both seem to have very similar open grips, wondering if the comb on the bridges is a bit higher?

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Comb on Bridges is significantly higher. The Compact has a rather low comb actually.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where does one go to find a Bridges pattern stock?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Comb on Bridges is significantly higher. The Compact has a rather low comb actually.

True. But, I found the biggest difference between these two is the grip area. The Compact is slim, yet comfortable and a relatively common shape, while the Bridges (which I really liked as well) is VERY slim from side to side and has a very high top, sloping to the comb. (Hope that makes sense) It definitely has a unique shape to it.

I believe you can still order them from J. Earl Bridges himself or though Hill Country Rifles.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by TDN

True. But, I found the biggest difference between these two is the grip area. The Compact is slim, yet comfortable and a relatively common shape, while the Bridges (which I really liked as well) is VERY slim from side to side and has a very high top, sloping to the comb. (Hope that makes sense) It definitely has a unique shape to it.

I believe you can still order them from J. Earl Bridges himself or though Hill Country Rifles.

I did not like the Bridges pattern for the same reason. Think of the typical grip shape as resembling the radius of the big end of a chicken egg. The Bridges is more like the pointy end, or even tighter. Just didn't feel right in the web of my hand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I talked to someone who has one, said the Bridges is tough to shoot well - open grip takes bottom three fingers out of the equation and the top of the bridges is narrow and hard to get the thumb really set firmly on the stock.

Don't know if I explained well but that was his feedback.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, that is about right. It is not quite the right shape in the grip area.

I wish they simply made the Compact pattern with a higher comb and a small cheekpiece. Basically a KS pattern only slightly slimmer dimensions.

The Compact is great if you want to run a stock pack on it.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

I wish they simply made the Compact pattern with a higher comb and a small cheekpiece. Basically a KS pattern only slightly slimmer dimensions.

I am with you on the Compact/KS pattern!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by patbrennan

I am with you on the Compact/KS pattern!

+2

Some of McMillan's stock patterns seem like they come from the Middle Ages. The Compact is only a 10 year old design, but has a fair bit of drop in the comb for a "modern" design.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted on McMillans Facebook page suggesting from all the input s higher comb is needed in the compact stock.

Reply was - no plans for that at this time.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10generation
I talked to someone who has one, said the Bridges is tough to shoot well - open grip takes bottom three fingers out of the equation and the top of the bridges is narrow and hard to get the thumb really set firmly on the stock.

Don't know if I explained well but that was his feedback.

I think they are right about the top being tough on your thumb/web area, but I certainly would not call it "tough to shoot." For me it was a great stock for off-hand shooting and even worked well prone.

Here is a link for a few pics and a prone shot story.
Bridges Stock Hunting Story Link

Last edited by TDN; 09/29/16.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
TTT. Why isn't this a sticky yet???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
TTT. Why isn't this a sticky yet???

Agreed. This here is a GREAT thread. Full of useful intel!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey, its a sticky now. Excellent!! Great info here. You guys should make a stock template like utah outlined in the op. I did and started another thread a long time ago. That template works for all kinds of stocks. If your template is the same, you can post pics of the stocks you have and use that as a comparison to others. Its a great visual aide.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm glad Rick made this a sticky finally. It deserves to be one. Now I need to add my pictures, since photobucket sucks the big one....
One of my favorite hunting rifles. m1917 sporter with custom left hand stock:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BACO 300wsm in a hunters compact micky:

Pre 64 model 70 270 fwt in hunters compact:

Winchester model 70 classic 30-06 tupperware:

Pre 64 model 70 30-06 feathweight in pre 64 montecarlo pattern. Swirly is old coyote bomber color:

Pre 64 model 70 308 fwt in hunters compact swirly:

If you guys thing the hunters compact is low at the comb, take a gander at the factory low comb stock:

I say, quit your fn sniveling..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
BSA,

Thanks for resurrecting this great thread and adding your pictures since the switch from photosuckit. My featherweight stock resembles your pre-64 Monte Carlo pattern. I found it interesting that your original featherweight stock has a straight comb and all the drop. Did the featherweights come with different stock options, or were the stocks changed at some point during their production?

Based on what I’m seeing here, I’m thinking a Hunter Compact might be a good choice for my needs. If only there was a good place to try before you buy! Thanks again.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 2,883 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.