Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Whole lot of “I’s” in that post. Proud of yourself? It’s funny that you say people are acting like 2” are 2’ when you’re the one going off the deep end about how much of a difference those 2” will make in performance.

Those 2” won’t matter in the big picture. The OP will shoot either just fine. But, the fact that you’re holding on to something as irrefutable as a shorter weapon is more maneuverable in thick brush does more to show how proud you are of your own opinion and how important it is to you to be “right” about something than how willing you are to admit something like a simple fact that a shorter item is easier to manipulate in tighter quarters. It’s not really a question of your experience, it’s a question of geometry and you can’t argue it. I wonder why modern war fighting weaponry has moved to shorter (read: more maneuverable) platforms? Wait, no I don’t. They’re easier to manipulate in tight quarters.

But I get it, trap ranges and sporting clays facilities are full of folks like you. The guy who will go blue in the face defending the logic behind owning what he owns rather than admitting it isn’t perfect in every way and some other options might come with better performance in certain areas.

Fortunately, I learned at a very young age that people who so adamantly defend their own decisions are usually incapable of considering alternatives, anyways, and to take their vigor with a grain of salt and move on. If you honestly think 2” on the skinny end of a dedicated autoloading duck gun is in any way stacking the odds in the favor of (or against) the every day waterfowler, perhaps all of those shells you claim to have fired have shaken a few screws loose.

What is funny is that I have seen a lot of guys struggle with short barrels and lengthening them has almost always helped with both their swing and sight picture. Those very few that didn't were always mounting issues. This has zero to do with sporting clays or Trap. The fact is 28" over a 26" is never a handicap. Except for you getting it in your case. Well done!!!!!

Except when it is.

Undeniably a 28” barrel helps with swing. Got it. Marginal (yet unnoticeable) improvement in ballistics. What else? It’s heavier and therefore slower (again, marginally). Less maneuverable (marginally). Perhaps you can use it as a push pole in 2” deeper of water?

But, again, you just won’t let it go. Like I said, I have shot a 28” bbl for years. I’m just not willing to say that it’s never a handicap when it most certainly is in some situations.

Look who can't let it go.

I really feel for you that 2 to even 4 inches baffles you with a case.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not baffled at all. Was your “look who can’t let it go” comment directed at yourself? Thread hadn’t been touched in a day and a half and along comes Tom Knapp to get it going again.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by killerv
Due to the receiver length on a 3 1/2in gun....sight plane is gonna be about the same length with a 26in 3 1/2 compared to a 28in on a 3in receiver. If a dedicated waterfowl gun, I'd still go with the 28.

My 870 3.5" receiver is damn near same length as my 3".

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
OOps and I prefer 30 inches on my autos and o/u's and 28 on sxs's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Barrel length helps determine balance. I prefer a 26 on a shotgun. If you like weight forward, you might want a 28 or more.

I agree, but depends on the action type. I have a 26" 870 SP that handles very well and a SxS with 28s for grouse. I would not have a 26" SxS again.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Barrel length helps determine balance. I prefer a 26 on a shotgun. If you like weight forward, you might want a 28 or more.

Just because barrels are longer doesn’t mean the shotgun will be weight forward. Depends on how they are made. There are makers whose 28 inch barrels can weigh less than their 26’s. They will pretty much make want you want within limits..

USA manufacturers are famous for fat barrels..the Brits and Italians not so much.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If you hunt quail or anything like ruffed grouse you need a balanced gun (26”)

Pheasant & Duck where you “should” not have to jump shoot = 28”

IMHO anyway

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have a Parker Reproduction two barrel set...20 gauge 26 inch and 16 gauge 28 inch...on a 20 gauge frame..

The 28 inch16 gauge barrels are lighter and balance better because they are lighter...balance has to do with what they weigh and not necessarily how short or long they are. As mentioned, we have been feed a long time diet of fat barrels....with the only difference being where they cut them off.

Last edited by battue; 11/01/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ShootAI, I have no comment on barrel lengths but you are going to love the A400. It comes with tons of options but it is thoughtfully configured with the most common options already configured. My very first shot from it I killed a greenhead that I jumped on the Rio Grande on my way to my spot to toss some decoys. My gun store said every option is not available quickly but I got the 28", optifade, w/ kickoff. I didn't know what the kickoff was but I like it now. You can change the stock length, chokes, magazine plug, stock angle. I changed nothing and it is great.

W
W
In my blind, low, close, and fast flying teal and woodies show up out of nowhere. A 26" 390 with appropriate loads awaits them. But I also see a lot of high, circling mallards that sometimes don't fully commit. There's a 28" 390 with different loads waiting for them.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a wonderful little Bernardelli that is a clone of a Greener XXV with 25" barrel, it has a tapered rib and the barrels appear much longer when mounted

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Churchill XXV barrel lengths perceived advantage, was built on the move-mount-shoot style of shooting...a quick from of snap shooting based on complete trust in eye hand coordination. At the time, short barrels were thought to be more advantageous to this style..how the barrels looked under the eye had little to do with it. The game was also most exclusively driven high overhead Birds.

Looking at the barrels when shooting pure move-mount-shoot is almost a guarantee to miss.

The Churchill rib required a higher comb. Which some top shots of today are using with great success. However, none use 25 inch barrels.

https://shootingsportsman.com/the-churchill-xxv/

Last edited by battue; 12/26/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What ever the reason the little Bernardelli is the most instinctive shooting shotgun I've handled, nearly impossible to miss flushing birds.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What ever the reason the little Bernardelli is the most instinctive shooting shotgun I've handled, nearly impossible to miss flushing birds.

Make mine a Minaska

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
i like the swing of a 28, but for fast birds like shooting g my 20guage with a 26 inch. just swings faster for me

J
JV3 Offline
J
Years ago I was offered a deal on a new Extrema2 28 inch barrels. I was looking for a 26 but the deal on the 28 was too good to pass up. I purchased it. On a Saskatchewan guided goose hunt. After the first day the guide came to me and said " sure am glad you have a 28 rather than 26 its only 2 inches but it makes a lot of difference shooting next to one. Tomorrow I'm placing you next to me." The entire hunting party was shooting 3.5 hulls.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Nope, you are all wrong. What you need is a shotgun with an ultra-long seven-foot barrel. It is effective and quiet:

https://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=445

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like a 26 over a 28 inch barrel for duck hunting and have used a 23" and liked it better than either one of them. In a brushed out duck blind, it is easier to get the shorter barrel out and into play without getting hung up in all the brush, at least for me it is.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the things I’ve learned hunting and fishing. No matter what equipment you choose. It’s all a compromise.
For example. My 22 foot Boston Whaler Outrage was perfect for Galveston bay. To big for upper bays, to small for 30 miles offshore. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootAI
I am thinking I want a new duck gun this year and have decided on an A400 extreme plus but can’t decide on 26 or 28” barrel on this one. Ever since switching to a 3.5” Capable receiver I have been shooting a 26” barrel. My older guns were beretta 301 and 303’s were 28”. Been shooting 26” in my M2, SBE 2 and sx3. Yes I know my M2 is not a 3.5” gun. I have always thought I prefer the shorter barrel for faster swings but I have time and figured I would see others opinions on it before ordering. My hunting partners are about 50/50 26 vs 28. I shoot 3.5 very rarely but have decided on this model anyways. I sold one to my main hunting partner earlier this year and liked it so I decided to go back to beretta. His was a 28” and felt good which is were this question stems from. Thanks for the input

I’m very happy with my 26” Rem V3 per Randy Wakeman’s advice.
28” might be a little smoother swinging, but I’m happy with the 26”
I notice most of their Waterfowl Pro models are 28” though

In O/Us I like 28” or 30” for the swing momentum and smoothness.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.