Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am thinking I want a new duck gun this year and have decided on an A400 extreme plus but can’t decide on 26 or 28” barrel on this one. Ever since switching to a 3.5” Capable receiver I have been shooting a 26” barrel. My older guns were beretta 301 and 303’s were 28”. Been shooting 26” in my M2, SBE 2 and sx3. Yes I know my M2 is not a 3.5” gun. I have always thought I prefer the shorter barrel for faster swings but I have time and figured I would see others opinions on it before ordering. My hunting partners are about 50/50 26 vs 28. I shoot 3.5 very rarely but have decided on this model anyways. I sold one to my main hunting partner earlier this year and liked it so I decided to go back to beretta. His was a 28” and felt good which is were this question stems from. Thanks for the input

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Do you want to handicap yourself, or do you want all the advantages you can get? If you want to handicap yourself buy the 26, if you want all the advantages buy the 28.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
In my opinion the way the gun feels and handles is the key and not all guns are the same. I settled on a Benelli M-1 years ago and haven't felt the need to upgrade to the M-2. I don't need or want 3 1/2" shells. In fact I have two M-1's, one with a 24" and the other 26" barrel. I bought them used and liked them well enough that I sold everything else but an 870 which is the HD gun with a shorter barrel on it.

Compared to the 11-87's and 1100's I'd owned previously the receiver on the Benelli is longer and the LOP on the stock is a bit longer. The barrel length on the Benelli's is actually 26" and 24". If you measure a Remington barrel they are all a bit shorter than advertised. At the end of the day my 26" Benelli is within a fraction of an inch of the same OAL of a 28" Remington and with similar handling qualities. My 24" Benelli compares more closely to a 26" Remington.

If I were still using Remington then I might go 28". But with the Benelli, especially where and how I hunt 26" is as long as I want. The 24" gun gets used more. It is for turkey, upland game, and quick shots while duck hunting on beaver ponds. Shots tend to be close and a quicker gun is more important than a longer barrel to me.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever your comfortable with, I've killed ducks with everything from 21" to 30". How the gun fits and how well you shoot it is far more important than barrel length.

21" barreled 870 here is the third refinish on the stock, salt water is tuff on the Rem and a 26" barreled SKB 100 my two favorites for a long time.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My current favorite for the past 10yrs Husqvarna 51 with 29 1/2" barrels 2 1/2" chambers and use 7/8th oz of ITX shot in it.

Then every once in awhile you need to take something else out 28" Manufrance Robust.

Like I said there is no perfect barrel length, how it shoots for YOU is more important.

Last edited by erich; 07/27/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barrel length helps determine balance. I prefer a 26 on a shotgun. If you like weight forward, you might want a 28 or more.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Like a few others have said, it comes down to how the gun feels for you. I have a Win SX2 with a 28" barrel, Rem 1100 and 870 with a 26" and have used my dad's 1100 with a 30" barrel quite a bit. I've killed ducks with all of them, but prefer the 28" on a dedicated duck gun. If it were going to serve purposes (ducks, rabbits, upland) as my 870 does I'd go 26" for a bit more versatility.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
On that specific shotgun, I definitely like the feel of the 28”. Hard to make definitive statements in generalities, at least for me, as it’s a question of feel - that difficult to quantify quality that combines balance and dynamics. On a Benelli Montefeltro, for example, the 26” barrel feels best by far to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On my Benelli Montefeltro, I definitely prefer a 24” barrel.

I’ve cut several of my Remington’s to a 23” barrel. Only have one shotgun left with a 28” barrel. Only reason I haven’t cut it down is because it’s a pristine like new model 1950’s era 870 in 16 gauge.

My advice is to buy which ever barrel length swings and points the best for YOU. Everybody is different. Fit and point ability is my more important than barrel length in being able to hit any flying target, IMHO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As stated already, individual firearms are different.

I find with semiautos that the receiver is sometimes so long, the 26" closely resembles a 28" in balance.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just read the whole thread. JMR said exactly what I said. Listen to him.

IC B3

S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Appreciate the responses guys. I was thinking along those lines. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything. The 28 felt good in my buddies gun so that’s why I am asking. I didn’t have a 26 next to it to compare though. It might of felt good or better as well.

MCH pm coming

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
PM answered

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shootAI
I am thinking I want a new duck gun this year and have decided on an A400 extreme plus but can’t decide on 26 or 28” barrel on this one. Ever since switching to a 3.5” Capable receiver I have been shooting a 26” barrel. My older guns were beretta 301 and 303’s were 28”. Been shooting 26” in my M2, SBE 2 and sx3. Yes I know my M2 is not a 3.5” gun. I have always thought I prefer the shorter barrel for faster swings but I have time and figured I would see others opinions on it before ordering. My hunting partners are about 50/50 26 vs 28. I shoot 3.5 very rarely but have decided on this model anyways. I sold one to my main hunting partner earlier this year and liked it so I decided to go back to beretta. His was a 28” and felt good which is were this question stems from. Thanks for the input

Try some of each and see what you like, but personally i would go 28....Highly doubtful a 26inch in the A400 will give you any advantage in swing speed.... Also personally, 3.5 inch shells are for those who like a little self-abuse....and the recoil does nothing for most in getting back on the stock for additional shots....

Last edited by battue; 07/29/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How much velocity will one lose in 2"s?

How fast do you think my 870, 18.5" deer barrel will shoot 3" Black Cloud BB rated 1450 fps?

Get close and wack em hard!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
2inches? None you will ever notice. And the Ducks won’t either.

Last edited by battue; 07/30/20.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BS2

How fast do you think my 870, 18.5" deer barrel will shoot 3" Black Cloud BB rated 1450 fps?

None but you are losing a smooth swinging gun and a long friendly sight plane. shell speed matters very little but your sight picture and swing mean the world.

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by BS2

None but you are losing a smooth swinging gun and a long friendly sight plane. shell speed matters very little but your sight picture and swing mean the world.

The 18.5" barrel is 30 fps slower than the 28". Just fired them thru the Oehler chronograph.

Smooth swing and long sight plane don't mean crap, when you have a large pattern with a lot of shot in it!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BS2
Originally Posted by BS2

The 18.5" barrel is 30 fps slower than the 28". Just fired them thru the Oehler chronograph.

Smooth swing and long sight plane don't mean crap, when you have a large pattern with a lot of shot in it!

Easy to decipher who shoots and who doesn't on here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
MCH,
Relax and stay off that knee..the poster probably has pointing down to an exact science..they just place a finger real close to their nose and point..natural move, with a little practice..

Then you line up those bumps on the barrel; take a fine aim on the target and hit the trigger. You have this big pattern and a lot of shot taking care of the hitting....

This crap isn’t hard. 😉

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BS2
Originally Posted by BS2

Easy to decipher who shoots and who doesn't on here.

This gun has shot little Teal buzzing across the sky! It doesn't have bumps, it has rifled sights. You don't have to have a long barrel to have a good swing!

When you are a kid and only have one gun, you learn to make it work!

Last edited by BS2; 08/02/20.

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Back to the 26" or 28".

With an auto loader, they are about 3"s longer than an O/U same barrel length.

Two years ago, I borrowed an O/U to hunt ducks in MO. It felt short, and swung fast for me.[felt short, 28" bbls] It could have used longer barrels for balance.

Auto loader, you loose no speed in 2"s less barrels, kind of depends on fit and balance, and range shooting.

Depends on how old your eyes are and how they focus, the longer sight plane may help.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You don’t loose FPS with an O/U or SxS either with 2 inch less barrel.

For conversation: The young Bucks who shoot for money and have great eyes also use the longer barrels. Almost exclusively. In fact I know if none that go below 32’s in SC. Must be a reason?????

Last edited by battue; 08/02/20.

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by battue
You don’t loose FPS with an O/U or SxS either with 2 inch less barrel.

For conversation: The young Bucks who shoot for money and have great eyes also use the longer barrels. Almost exclusively. In fact I know if none that go below 32’s in SC. Must be a reason?????

Almost 40 years ago, I remember watching 30" go to 32" then to 34" in trap shooting.

Not sure that you need that length for shooting over decoys.

But what ever works for you, use it!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Reason being what was mentioned.

Over decoys, you don’t. Pass shooting out a way, there are advantages.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It is never a handicap! Decoys, Grouse woods, range, it is an advantage period.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have always used a 28” barrel for waterfowl. The last 15 years or so has been with a SBE2. I like to use extended chokes now as well. With That platform and my LOP; it was a long shotgun...

When I decided I no longer shoot wanted to shoot 3.5” shells, I opted for a 26” M2 with the extended Carlson chokes. I find it to be the better combination as I still have a good balance of speed and follow thru.

I am also hunting in tighter cover for ducks and less field hunting for geese FWIW.

Semper Fi

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
2” difference on a repeating shotgun with a long 3.5” capable receiver makes no difference in swing from 28-26”. The 26” is gonna be 2” less to hang on crap or fit in a case or such, but on semis and pumps, it’d be hard to tell any other difference over 2”. For ducks and geese, I’ve gone as short as 24” and not noticed much (if any) difference in swing or balance. 24 vs 30/32, sure. Doubles are a different animal.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
2” difference on a repeating shotgun with a long 3.5” capable receiver makes no difference in swing from 28-26”. The 26” is gonna be 2” less to hang on crap or fit in a case or such, but on semis and pumps, it’d be hard to tell any other difference over 2”. For ducks and geese, I’ve gone as short as 24” and not noticed much (if any) difference in swing or balance. 24 vs 30/32, sure. Doubles are a different animal.

Maybe you can't, but many can! I have never had my barrel hung up in the duck blinds, goose pits, duck boats, layout boats, in the grouse woods, or anywhere else for that matter. I have never found it hard to put a gun no matter the length of the barrel "hard to put in a case".

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
First, the point was: there’s not enough difference to matter in 2” of barrel on a 3.5” hunting repeater,
You’re not getting a 50” gun in a 48” case, easily.
2” wont make much difference on maneuverability, but 4-6” could.
A shorter barrel is far easier to deal with in timber, buck brush, and other places. Shooting vs carrying....but I grew up quail and rabbit hunting in briar patches and grow up cut overs, while duck hunting in everything and everywhere. In layouts, nice box blinds, or boats, you don’t have anything to contend with.

If you’re noticing a huge difference in wing shooting with a 3.5” repeater in a 26 vs 28” barrel (in the same gun), then there are a ton of more prescient excuses for misses, such as fit/POA VS POI, head, LOP, overall balance, etc,.,,,that’ll be having far more influence than 2” of thin metal at the farthest end of the equation. Shooting professional clays is a different conversation.....and I’ve never shot a clays tournament with a 3.5” goose gun, either. wink

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/06/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The only shotgun I've really done a bunch of bbl length attempts is the 12ga 303 Beretta I bought circa 1990ish. I've shot 22, 24, 26, 28, and 30" bbls on that same action/stock. I shoot the 26" the best of the bunch.

I have 2 30" 12 and 2 30" 20ga Beretta 391's. In both gauges, the 30" bbls make me lazy over time. I swing less with my body, more with my arms and fall behind. When that happens, I move back to my Franchi 26" AL 48 28ga that's so light it forces me to get back in the habit of swinging with my whole body. A few years ago I picked up a 26" Beretta 626 20Ga who's "shortness" of OAL also snaps back my "whole body swing" form almost as good as the ultralight Franchi.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It is the opposite for me. The mount is initiated with the hands and arms, and short barrels have me mounting with less control..and usually faster and out of sync with the clay or Bird. Crossers need a lot of hip involvement..not so much with quartering or straightaway.

Addition:

I’ll take longer everyday, as long as the balance is there.

Last edited by battue; 08/08/20.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For conversation...

In the thick, timber or brush, two inches shorter is no advantage as far as maneuverability. Your shotgun is most likely to hit anywhere along its length as at the end..

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Neither is shorter necessarily an advantage in the open...Based only on its length....And trying to fit a shotgun longer than the case will naturally be a problem..Boots have much the same issue...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This is a really personal decision, but if you like shorter barrels, go with the 26". If I were buying an A400 and had a choice, I would pick 28". If I found a good deal a better deal on a 26", I would buy that and not worry about the missing two inches.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It is the opposite for me. The mount is initiated with the hands and arms, and short barrels have me mounting with less control..and usually faster and out of sync with the clay or Bird. Crossers need a lot of hip involvement..not so much with quartering or straightaway.

Addition:

I’ll take longer everyday, as long as the balance is there.

Let me correct that for you.

The mount is initiated with the front hand and arm. The trigger hand/arm is just along for the ride.

If anyone cares to argue that take it up with one of the greatest shotgun coaches ever Jack Mitchell.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And more than a few others also.

I was only making the observation that for myself short barrels don’t point as well and the hands initiate the mount or point. The core may or may not do all that much, depending on what the target is doing.

When it comes to SxS or O/U field shotguns, if the barrels are going to be long, then they best be lean also. They most often come out of places like Scotland, Germany and England and unfortunately cost more than a new Landcruiser. Even the good Spanish examples cost more than most are willing to give.

Very few American made double guns make the cut and very few Americans have the opportunity to handle shotguns that do. Thus long to them becomes the pig on a shovel and they move to shorter.

A shotgun shooting acquaintance says, “A swordsman chooses his sword from experience and with care.”

And to quote Stick, “Spent primers are the ultimate tutorial.” Most come up short on experience..

Old friend carried his Rem 1100 12 gauge last year Pheasant hunting and then picked up my Ithaca 37 28 gauge and the light came on. I just set him up with a A400 20 gauge and he is "Smiling like the butcher's Dog." (To quote Mike Lang)

Addition: I also saw Duffy take a short barreled 20 gauge NID he just won, and up at a place you are familiar with, and quickly tune himself into consistently breaking 40 yard crossers. Spent primers?????

Last edited by battue; 08/11/20.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
6 pounds 1 ounce of the way they should be made....I'd even wear a kilt and leggings....proudly laugh Double triggers, wonder if I could make them work wink
The wee Cocker or Springer would have to be happy in their birthday suit....

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ide-by-side-shotgun.cfm?gun_id=101409265

It only costs that much because he has a rep for handmade shotguns, only makes 30 or so a year and they function correctly out of the box....America could do the same for much less....and the Spanish do....Watchout for the Turks.....

They still won't sell here....It's mostly semi-auto and the I just can't shoot a SxS excuse...Of course most never shot more than a couple boxes of shells out of one, if that...Spent primers again...

Last edited by battue; 08/11/20.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
6 pounds 1 ounce of the way they should be made....I'd even wear a kilt and leggings....proudly laugh Double triggers, wonder if I could make them work wink
The wee Cocker or Springer would have to be happy in their birthday suit....

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ide-by-side-shotgun.cfm?gun_id=101409265

It only costs that much because he has a rep for handmade shotguns, only makes 30 or so a year and they function correctly out of the box....America could do the same for much less....and the Spanish do....Watchout for the Turks.....

They still won't sell here....It's mostly semi-auto and the I just can't shoot a SxS excuse...Of course most never shot more than a couple boxes of shells out of one, if that...Spent primers again...

I would wear whatever the hell anyone wanted me to wear for a DMB.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Damn, we would have them howling!!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Addition: I also saw Duffy take a short barreled 20 gauge NID he just won, and up at a place you are familiar with, and quickly tune himself into consistently breaking 40 yard crossers. Spent primers?????

Duffy??? Who Dat? smile

I might have seen him break a target or two.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Damn, we would have them howling!!!!

Get your camera's, cell phones out now. Cause once she is in my hands that's all she wrote folks!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Barrel length helps determine balance. I prefer a 26 on a shotgun. If you like weight forward, you might want a 28 or more.

I like 26" on my 870SP duck gun and 28" on my 20ga SxS upland gun.

I did recently buy a used 21" RemChoke VR turkey bbl for my 870. I think I could use that for upland if needed.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For conversation...

In the thick, timber or brush, two inches shorter is no advantage as far as maneuverability. Your shotgun is most likely to hit anywhere along its length as at the end..

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Neither is shorter necessarily an advantage in the open...Based only on its length....And trying to fit a shotgun longer than the case will naturally be a problem..Boots have much the same issue...

Actually, that’s more what some consider open woods around here. I don’t think we’re so much disagreeing about SHOOTING a shotgun vs barrel length, as much as I’m just referring to carrying ease growing up in the quail edges and rabbit briars with side by sides around here. I also made a point that SxS and O/Us are a different conversation than a repeater, with regard to swing, balance, etc.....two barrels are different, and a receiver adds length, period. While 2” either way (for shooting) is noticeable for most in a double, I’ve just never found it noticeable outside of handling, in a repeater......until it was more than 2” either way. Doesn’t matter if it’s an SC tourney, rabbits, woodcock, dove, or geese in Canada....a 26” repeater has always swung/shot as good as a 28, but maybe not as good on long crossers as a 30 or 32, for me. Not getting into who’s what in SC or upland/waterfowl circles......we all have preferences that can differ, whether it’s after mere boxes or 40+ years of flats and cases.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/17/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can find a lot to agree with this post....Especially when it comes to autoloaders vs two barrel shotguns. For hunting with an auto-loader 26 or 28 would be fine...For clays I prefer the longer.

As far a Quail, I'm not about to come off as having any expertise on the varied habitat they may be found in.. However, I had the privilege to hunt down in Georgia on one the the premier private Wild Quail plantations. 15,000 acres of ground literally cultivated for Quail.. It was for the most part wide open shooting as long as a Pine didn't get in the way and there were not all that many..

That tried for years to keep the predators down by various means, which was greatly limiting their success....Finally they came on to the idea to thin out the trees and you cut down on the the places they lived and would sit to wait..Last I was there they figured they had 7-8 Quail per acre.

Last edited by battue; 08/17/20.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Neither is sho whether it’s after mere boxes or 40+ years of flats and cases.

40 years that would put Battue starting shooting a shotgun when he was 60! smile

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Due to the receiver length on a 3 1/2in gun....sight plane is gonna be about the same length with a 26in 3 1/2 compared to a 28in on a 3in receiver. If a dedicated waterfowl gun, I'd still go with the 28.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The ‘managed’ quail country of the last 20 years is quite different from the overgrown clear cuts and briar thickets we used to run dogs in while foot hunting the hill country of AL/TN/KY. And you’re correct: managed pine/quail plantations of southern AL/GA are wide open, comparatively. My favorite semi I ever carried for ‘rough’ quail and rabbit thickets was a Superlight Auto 5 20ga with a 24” skeet barrel. I’ve still done it more with a Fox 20ga SxS and 26” tubes, cuz that’s all I had when I was starting out as a kid. Guns have purposes. Swinging often wasn’t too important when we had to spot shoot through a hole, when the birds or rabbits were in it. LOL

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/18/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

40 years that would put Battue starting shooting a shotgun when he was 60! smile

Ya, after a certain point you say to yourself there has to have been a mistake on my certificate.👀

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Ya, after a certain point you say to yourself there has to have been a mistake on my certificate.👀

I couldn't resist buddy! smile

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL.... I got lucky when 8-9 years old back in the 70s.....yeah, I guess I’m a pup comparatively. wink. My dad didn’t hunt much, but he’d drop me off with my football coach who had a skeet and trap range next door, fill with old clays and quail curmudgeons. They’d all tell me something different, one day to the next, but I had all the clays and shells I could shoot, and all the surrounding land was a quail, rabbit, and dove paradise at the time. I figured a few things out a little over 8-10 years of hanging around with Wally’s skeet club gang and trailing dogs. Those days are gone, but I was glad to nibble the tail end of that culture, at least.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I couldn't resist buddy! smile

👍

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone who says 2” of bbl isn’t noticeable in the brush hasn’t hunted brush. Remember, not every part of hunting is like pulling up to the trap range to just shoot. You’ve gotta get to where you’re hunting, ride in a boat sometimes, maneuver through some thick stuff to get to where the birds/bunnies are, etc. Sure, when it’s time to take the shot, having an extra 2” might be better for swinging on long crossers. However, for all the rest of the schit involved, it being 2” shorter can be nice. I’ve hunted with a 28” bbl for nearly 20 years and have recently switched to a 26” bbl for the above mentioned reasons. I’ve got a crisp $20 that says after this season I won’t have a preference either way. Therefore, at the end of the day, buy the one you feel best about because the rest of this schit is hot air for folks that aren’t burning up thousands and thousands of shells shooting clays or hunting the most premier of anything. For the dude who’s out hunting, the difference will mostly be noticed when closing the soft-sided gun case getting in and out of the boat/truck because 26” will fit in one much better than a 28” bbl, especially if you opt for extended chokes. If one is in stock or you can get a deal on one or the other, that’s the one to get.

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 09/20/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What Brush are we talking about that is so difficult???? The Maine Northwoods for Grouse and Woodcock? Flooded Timbers of Arkansas? Southeast Alaska in Rain Forest loaded with Devils Club? The UP chasing Grouse? Woodcock in Louisiana? Hmmm I hunt with 28" and 30" barrels and never once have had a problem. As far as a gun case buy the right size case and you will never have a problem putting your gun away.

I have hunted Upland Birds and Waterfowl my entire life from Southern Georgia to Texas in the south. Maine to Alaska and a few states in-between. I have not hunted the Central Midwest or the southern Western states. I have shot more flats of ammo hunting than the average weekend clays shooter. I have guided for both Upland Birds and waterfowl. I have never seen a case where the barrel was too long and caused a problem. Funny I have seen many shooters and hunters put away their shotguns in case both hard and soft with zero issues. I have been in and out of Layout boats in Long Island Sound, Boston Harbor, the Atlantic Ocean, and the Pacific Ocean. The length of the barrel has never been a problem. I have crawled in sloughs on my hands and knees again without problems! You guys act like two inches is two feet!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Whole lot of “I’s” in that post. Proud of yourself? It’s funny that you say people are acting like 2” are 2’ when you’re the one going off the deep end about how much of a difference those 2” will make in performance.

Those 2” won’t matter in the big picture. The OP will shoot either just fine. But, the fact that you’re holding on to something as irrefutable as a shorter weapon is more maneuverable in thick brush does more to show how proud you are of your own opinion and how important it is to you to be “right” about something than how willing you are to admit something like a simple fact that a shorter item is easier to manipulate in tighter quarters. It’s not really a question of your experience, it’s a question of geometry and you can’t argue it. I wonder why modern war fighting weaponry has moved to shorter (read: more maneuverable) platforms? Wait, no I don’t. They’re easier to manipulate in tight quarters.

But I get it, trap ranges and sporting clays facilities are full of folks like you. The guy who will go blue in the face defending the logic behind owning what he owns rather than admitting it isn’t perfect in every way and some other options might come with better performance in certain areas.

Fortunately, I learned at a very young age that people who so adamantly defend their own decisions are usually incapable of considering alternatives, anyways, and to take their vigor with a grain of salt and move on. If you honestly think 2” on the skinny end of a dedicated autoloading duck gun is in any way stacking the odds in the favor of (or against) the every day waterfowler, perhaps all of those shells you claim to have fired have shaken a few screws loose.

S
shootAI Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up going 28 but would of been just as happy with a 26”. Appreciate everyone’s opinion. Different strokes for different folks. Decided to switch it up this time. Couple weeks and I can enjoy the thing.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Anyone who says 2” of bbl isn’t noticeable in the brush hasn’t hunted brush. Remember, not every part of hunting is like pulling up to the trap range to just shoot. You’ve gotta get to where you’re hunting, ride in a boat sometimes, maneuver through some thick stuff to get to where the birds/bunnies are, etc. Sure, when it’s time to take the shot, having an extra 2” might be better for swinging on long crossers. However, for all the rest of the schit involved, it being 2” shorter can be nice. I’ve hunted with a 28” bbl for nearly 20 years and have recently switched to a 26” bbl for the above mentioned reasons. I’ve got a crisp $20 that says after this season I won’t have a preference either way. Therefore, at the end of the day, buy the one you feel best about because the rest of this schit is hot air for folks that aren’t burning up thousands and thousands of shells shooting clays or hunting the most premier of anything. For the dude who’s out hunting, the difference will mostly be noticed when closing the soft-sided gun case getting in and out of the boat/truck because 26” will fit in one much better than a 28” bbl, especially if you opt for extended chokes. If one is in stock or you can get a deal on one or the other, that’s the one to get.

Ooh crisp $20 dollar bill..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 79S

Ooh crisp $20 dollar bill..

Yep. A down payment for a layaway plan on my next gun.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geez, you guys. Haven't you ever read the 2-3 highly authoritative Internet posts where 27" barrels (whether on doubles or repeaters) are the very best? That's because 27" is very close to 68.5 centimeters, one of those magical metric lengths.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Whole lot of “I’s” in that post. Proud of yourself? It’s funny that you say people are acting like 2” are 2’ when you’re the one going off the deep end about how much of a difference those 2” will make in performance.

Those 2” won’t matter in the big picture. The OP will shoot either just fine. But, the fact that you’re holding on to something as irrefutable as a shorter weapon is more maneuverable in thick brush does more to show how proud you are of your own opinion and how important it is to you to be “right” about something than how willing you are to admit something like a simple fact that a shorter item is easier to manipulate in tighter quarters. It’s not really a question of your experience, it’s a question of geometry and you can’t argue it. I wonder why modern war fighting weaponry has moved to shorter (read: more maneuverable) platforms? Wait, no I don’t. They’re easier to manipulate in tight quarters.

But I get it, trap ranges and sporting clays facilities are full of folks like you. The guy who will go blue in the face defending the logic behind owning what he owns rather than admitting it isn’t perfect in every way and some other options might come with better performance in certain areas.

Fortunately, I learned at a very young age that people who so adamantly defend their own decisions are usually incapable of considering alternatives, anyways, and to take their vigor with a grain of salt and move on. If you honestly think 2” on the skinny end of a dedicated autoloading duck gun is in any way stacking the odds in the favor of (or against) the every day waterfowler, perhaps all of those shells you claim to have fired have shaken a few screws loose.

What is funny is that I have seen a lot of guys struggle with short barrels and lengthening them has almost always helped with both their swing and sight picture. Those very few that didn't were always mounting issues. This has zero to do with sporting clays or Trap. The fact is 28" over a 26" is never a handicap. Except for you getting it in your case. Well done!!!!!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

What is funny is that I have seen a lot of guys struggle with short barrels and lengthening them has almost always helped with both their swing and sight picture. Those very few that didn't were always mounting issues. This has zero to do with sporting clays or Trap. The fact is 28" over a 26" is never a handicap. Except for you getting it in your case. Well done!!!!!

Except when it is.

Undeniably a 28” barrel helps with swing. Got it. Marginal (yet unnoticeable) improvement in ballistics. What else? It’s heavier and therefore slower (again, marginally). Less maneuverable (marginally). Perhaps you can use it as a push pole in 2” deeper of water?

But, again, you just won’t let it go. Like I said, I have shot a 28” bbl for years. I’m just not willing to say that it’s never a handicap when it most certainly is in some situations.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a 26" steel shot bbl on my 1100 mag.
Wish it was 28".

My 870 supermag is 23" turkey model. I've run it on doves and limited out at 50%.
Its usable.

But if I shoot steel for honkers, I'll put a 28" bbl on it.
Or just buy a whole nuther supermag.

30" bbl on 1100 magnum was my fave goose rig.
And it was wicked on dove as well (back when we could run lead on state ground).

Last edited by hookeye; 09/21/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Except when it is.

Undeniably a 28” barrel helps with swing. Got it. Marginal (yet unnoticeable) improvement in ballistics. What else? It’s heavier and therefore slower (again, marginally). Less maneuverable (marginally). Perhaps you can use it as a push pole in 2” deeper of water?

But, again, you just won’t let it go. Like I said, I have shot a 28” bbl for years. I’m just not willing to say that it’s never a handicap when it most certainly is in some situations.

Look who can't let it go.

I really feel for you that 2 to even 4 inches baffles you with a case.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not baffled at all. Was your “look who can’t let it go” comment directed at yourself? Thread hadn’t been touched in a day and a half and along comes Tom Knapp to get it going again.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by killerv
Due to the receiver length on a 3 1/2in gun....sight plane is gonna be about the same length with a 26in 3 1/2 compared to a 28in on a 3in receiver. If a dedicated waterfowl gun, I'd still go with the 28.

My 870 3.5" receiver is damn near same length as my 3".

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
OOps and I prefer 30 inches on my autos and o/u's and 28 on sxs's

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I agree, but depends on the action type. I have a 26" 870 SP that handles very well and a SxS with 28s for grouse. I would not have a 26" SxS again.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Just because barrels are longer doesn’t mean the shotgun will be weight forward. Depends on how they are made. There are makers whose 28 inch barrels can weigh less than their 26’s. They will pretty much make want you want within limits..

USA manufacturers are famous for fat barrels..the Brits and Italians not so much.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If you hunt quail or anything like ruffed grouse you need a balanced gun (26”)

Pheasant & Duck where you “should” not have to jump shoot = 28”

IMHO anyway

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have a Parker Reproduction two barrel set...20 gauge 26 inch and 16 gauge 28 inch...on a 20 gauge frame..

The 28 inch16 gauge barrels are lighter and balance better because they are lighter...balance has to do with what they weigh and not necessarily how short or long they are. As mentioned, we have been feed a long time diet of fat barrels....with the only difference being where they cut them off.

Last edited by battue; 11/01/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ShootAI, I have no comment on barrel lengths but you are going to love the A400. It comes with tons of options but it is thoughtfully configured with the most common options already configured. My very first shot from it I killed a greenhead that I jumped on the Rio Grande on my way to my spot to toss some decoys. My gun store said every option is not available quickly but I got the 28", optifade, w/ kickoff. I didn't know what the kickoff was but I like it now. You can change the stock length, chokes, magazine plug, stock angle. I changed nothing and it is great.

W
W
In my blind, low, close, and fast flying teal and woodies show up out of nowhere. A 26" 390 with appropriate loads awaits them. But I also see a lot of high, circling mallards that sometimes don't fully commit. There's a 28" 390 with different loads waiting for them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a wonderful little Bernardelli that is a clone of a Greener XXV with 25" barrel, it has a tapered rib and the barrels appear much longer when mounted

Make mine a Minaska

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Churchill XXV barrel lengths perceived advantage, was built on the move-mount-shoot style of shooting...a quick from of snap shooting based on complete trust in eye hand coordination. At the time, short barrels were thought to be more advantageous to this style..how the barrels looked under the eye had little to do with it. The game was also most exclusively driven high overhead Birds.

Looking at the barrels when shooting pure move-mount-shoot is almost a guarantee to miss.

The Churchill rib required a higher comb. Which some top shots of today are using with great success. However, none use 25 inch barrels.

https://shootingsportsman.com/the-churchill-xxv/

Last edited by battue; 12/26/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What ever the reason the little Bernardelli is the most instinctive shooting shotgun I've handled, nearly impossible to miss flushing birds.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What ever the reason the little Bernardelli is the most instinctive shooting shotgun I've handled, nearly impossible to miss flushing birds.

Make mine a Minaska

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
i like the swing of a 28, but for fast birds like shooting g my 20guage with a 26 inch. just swings faster for me

J
JV3 Offline
J
Years ago I was offered a deal on a new Extrema2 28 inch barrels. I was looking for a 26 but the deal on the 28 was too good to pass up. I purchased it. On a Saskatchewan guided goose hunt. After the first day the guide came to me and said " sure am glad you have a 28 rather than 26 its only 2 inches but it makes a lot of difference shooting next to one. Tomorrow I'm placing you next to me." The entire hunting party was shooting 3.5 hulls.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Nope, you are all wrong. What you need is a shotgun with an ultra-long seven-foot barrel. It is effective and quiet:

https://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=445

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like a 26 over a 28 inch barrel for duck hunting and have used a 23" and liked it better than either one of them. In a brushed out duck blind, it is easier to get the shorter barrel out and into play without getting hung up in all the brush, at least for me it is.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the things I’ve learned hunting and fishing. No matter what equipment you choose. It’s all a compromise.
For example. My 22 foot Boston Whaler Outrage was perfect for Galveston bay. To big for upper bays, to small for 30 miles offshore. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootAI

I’m very happy with my 26” Rem V3 per Randy Wakeman’s advice.
28” might be a little smoother swinging, but I’m happy with the 26”
I notice most of their Waterfowl Pro models are 28” though

In O/Us I like 28” or 30” for the swing momentum and smoothness.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If it matters....the A400's are very light out front and also feel so with the trim forearm and grip. The barrel is light and the rib very delicate. My Son had one in 28" for a bit and was a very good shotgun that felt lively in the hands.We are 2-3/4" shooters and that's all he ran in this shotgun for all birds - along with about 20,000 AA Skeet loads. I have never believed in the 3 or 3.5" loads and never will...... This is based upon field time experience.

RAVENS & WOLVES
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mauserfan
I have never believed in the 3 or 3.5" loads and never will...... This is based upon field time experience.

Why no 3” or 3 1/2” loads?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I handload 2-3/4" 1-1/8 oz loads at 1480 FPS. Anything else is overkill. Actually, I still use a 20 ga most of the fall and really only use the 12 ga in the late season. I am a 35 yard shooter and have always been. I also shoot up front with a tight choke. We shoot #6 and #3 shot.

RAVENS & WOLVES
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I handload 2-3/4" 1-1/8 oz loads at 1480 FPS. Anything else is overkill. Actually, I still use a 20 ga most of the fall and really only use the 12 ga in the late season. I am a 35 yard shooter and have always been. I also shoot up front with a tight choke. We shoot #6 and #3 shot.

Ah, I gotcha. So no 3” or 3 1/2” for your specific scenario, in spite of their value for other situations. Thanks for clearing that up.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No spite here.

RAVENS & WOLVES
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No spite here.

None implied. Good luck this season! I’m up to 14 so far this year. Hoping for a 100 duck year.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.