Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 79S
Shot them today, with 20.0gr 20.5 and 21.0 of 2400. 20.0gr produced a pattern lol, 20.5 was a little Better. 21.0 was a tad better. I was using WLR primers. Do you all have any powder recommendations?

Try 16 grains of 2400 instead. That's a load mine loves for accurate soft shooting at about 1600 fps.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
GB1

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I found a load of 24.5 gr of 5744

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Picked up a Rem. 770 bolt gun in 30-06 first of last year and loaded up some test loads for it awhile back. I was using mixed brass by Win. Rem. and Fed. along with CCI LR primers and I use three different powders Alliant 2400, H-4198 and Unique. The two bullets I used were the Lee 170 gr. FP and the Lee 160 gr. TL RN both powder coated, gas checked and sized to .311". Targets were shot at 50 yds. as that is as far as I can shoot around here in the backyard range without making a day trip to the public range. All load data came from the Lyman Cast Bullet manual #4, below are the groups but none were much larger than 1.5" and some under 1". We had some issues with the Chrono not reading probably due to overcast skies on some loads but I will be retesting those loads for data at some point as well as some additional powders I have and maybe even a primer change on a couple loads to see if that improves things. I haven't been behind the trigger since last Nov. after having surgery and weather not cooperating on my days off so I'm a bit rusty.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cast up about 150 of the NOE 165 gr. 30 XCB bullets from the new mold I purchased over the 4th of July sales NOE had. I only had a limited time to work with them so I just coated about ten each using Super Durable Clear and Popping Silver Vein gas checked and sized them to see how they would turn out. I cast a random set of samples during the casting process and after they cooled I measure and weighed each set. The bullets across the sampling weighed between 167.0 and 167.3 grs. Two bullets from the mold using my micrometer measured .311" while the third bullet measured .311.5" The powder coating added around .002" to the diameter before sizing.

I sized these bullets to .309" and will do a test fit later in the week to see how well they chamber at that dia. if all goes well I'll load up a batch of test rds. to see how fast I can push this bullet, hopefully by the end of the day I will be at my target velocity of around 2500 fps. while still obtaining excellent accuracy.

I've found the load I plan on using 35.0 grs. of H-4198 and have loaded up enough to last me awhile. Average MV for 5 shots was 2279 fps.

Last edited by res45; 06/23/20.

Artisan in Lead, bullets and powder
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice shooting.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The bulk of my experience with cast bullets is in .35 Whelen, when I started I was loading SR4759. Since that powder's discontinuance I have been using Unique. In .30-06 my load is a 150gr. GC cast bullet over 10.0gr. of Unique, it is a good load for my purpose which was exclusively plinking.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
IMR 3031 at about 30 gr is good for a 200gr cast and up

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
79S Around here, vintage military matches, mostly '06's being used. Although you prefer not to get into casting, it can be done cheaply and still you can be competitive. The Lee 170 2 cav mold, wheelweights with a little tin added, Hornady gaschecks shoved thru a Lee tumble lube sizing die of .309 or .310. Always, Lee tumble lube. You can be in the game for about 50 bucks. Don't overthink powder choices, the beauty of gas check bullets is their adaptability to any reasonable velocity. Of course most guys opt for the aforementioned 16 gr of 2400, or RL7 or the 4198's. You didn't say what distances, but if you stay down around that 1600 fps area...you will spend more time shooting and less time tweaking loads.
My own favorite clanger gun (under 150 yds) is a 1904 Steyr Mannlicher 8x57, 175 gr Lee gas check bullet with about 13gr of Red Dot, for clanger fun. Around 1700 fps, it holds 2.2 moa with original military sights. I would not be afraid to bust a tender young forked horn with it, in case he charged me.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
First, determine the diameter of your chamber's throat. Internet search "pound cast chamber throat measurement" to do this. Then find a cast bullet that just fits the throat ( ie 0.0005" smaller than throat diameter).

You not trying to find bullet diameter "a couple of thousands larger than groove diameter". That is too broad, and not the base measurement for selection ( NOT groove diameter). It SOUNDS good, and is in the right direction, but it is not the correct reference point you want to use. Use THROAT DIAMETER as reference point.

Many commercial cast bullet designs available. Look around. Best accuracy will be "near throat diameter" sized cast bullets.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’m also looking at cast bullets for a 30-06. I bought a box of 500 lasercast bullets and added gas checks. I’ve been told that they need to be seated so that none of the bullet protrudes past the neck into the case. Is this correct?

I’ve only loaded cast bullets for rifles in 38-55 and.375Win. So it’s never been an issue.

Last edited by doubletap; 11/14/20.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by doubletap
I’m also looking at cast bullets for a 30-06. I bought a box of 500 lasercast bullets and added gas checks. I’ve been told that they need to be seated so that none of the bullet protrudes past the neck into the case. Is this correct?

I’ve only loaded cast bullets for rifles in 38-55 and.375Win. So it’s never been an issue.

Some people make that claim, but the thousands of cast bullets I have loaded that my family and I have fired that are seated so that some of the bullet is exposed in the case below the shoulder are testament that it is not ever an issue. This is in cartridges from 22 through 35 calibers, and includes 218 Bee, 223, 243, 270, 280, 30-06, 308, 30-30, 357 Herrett, 35 Whelen, and a few others.

I would say that seating some portion of the bullet below the neck with gas check below the neck is a non-issue, unless you need to pull those bullets for some reason. Then A pair of pliers or tweezers is sometimes required to pull the check out of the case if it comes off the bullet during pulling.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ditto that. I do try to keep my bullets feet up out of the mud but if a base sticks down a bit I don't sweat it. Proper fit in the leade is more important anyway and if employing a long bullet in a short throat it's base is likely to intrude into the powder room.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
look here

http://www.thecastbulletshop.com/30-caliber-rifle-17

I like the Lyman 322299

I have a mold for that one, actually the first I ever cast back in 1964. I was a young college student, living at home, so my first and successful attempt was using an old cast iron saucepan over charcoal, then dad got me a little single burner gas hotplate which I used for several years. I was shooting them through a winchester M70 featherweight, and found them extremely accurate. I think this bullet weighs in at about 200-205 gr. I did try one of the Lovrin (spelling on this one) types, a lighter weight with multiple grease grooves and never did get the accuracy. I don't know if anyone casts them or if molds are still available.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
look here

http://www.thecastbulletshop.com/30-caliber-rifle-17

I like the Lyman 311299

I have a mold for that one, actually the first I ever cast back in 1964. I was a young college student, living at home, so my first and successful attempt was using an old cast iron saucepan over charcoal, then dad got me a little single burner gas hotplate which I used for several years. I was shooting them through a winchester M70 featherweight, and found them extremely accurate. I think this bullet weighs in at about 200-205 gr. I did try one of the Lovrin (spelling on this one) types, a lighter weight with multiple grease grooves and never did get the accuracy. I don't know if anyone casts them or if molds are still available. Use a good gas check,if casting and sizing my own prefer the crimp on like the Hornandy, or I got some from my friend Larry Blackmon at Bulletswaging supply.com in W. Monroe, La., stay away from the slip on thin brass gas check like the Lyman's

79S Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I ended up getting these bullets https://oregontrailbullets.com/xcart/?target=product&product_id=3 and using 16.0 grs of 2400. I got a lee .309 sizer and gas checks. I can shoot a 5 shot group less than an inch. Some of the best advice I got here was jamming the bullet into the lands. I will have to check my OAL tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.