Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by WAM
Family Traditions ladder stands are the best ones I’ve hunted out of. Not light or cheap, but comfortable and sturdy. Happy Trails

US made too smile

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like ladder stands more and more the older I get.
However, we don't own the ground my bud and I hunt on.
And there are some local punks that might steal stuff.

So high dollar is out of the question.

Timbered out years ago, no real big trees where we need em.
So ladders or ladder sticks (next to trunk) and hang ons is the way we roll.

Ladder stands are so nice, easy to get in and out of.
Private ground, a bit off the path, big trunk trees...............I'd be running some ladder stands.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/03/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We have a mixture of singles and doubles and the best compromise is the 1.5's for weight and room.

We never leave ours out for fear of squirrels, rust, tree movements, and the great Chinese paint jobs.

Look for a stand that is positioned far enough out from the tree so you can see around the tree and not have your back against the tree. It makes finding suitable trees and positioning better.

Big Game is one of our better stands, although the squirrels like the webbing

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by humdinger
We have a mixture of singles and doubles and the best compromise is the 1.5's for weight and room.

Agree 100%.
I don't know how many we have. A pretty good pile of them. A dozen maybe? I buy what's on sale typically. The one from Menards is the only crappy one I don't like to sit in. It's a uncomfortable as all hell. But my kids seem to keep shooting deer from it. lol

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
we have about 8 of them and only one stays out to use for beaver thinning.

I'm toying with tripod stands because it lets you move them out from the branches of a tree. I was trying to set up a ladder stand on a oak tree on my hay field edge and couldnt get it out of the branches and there were no workable popple trees around.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by humdinger
we have about 8 of them and only one stays out to use for beaver thinning.

I'm toying with tripod stands because it lets you move them out from the branches of a tree. I was trying to set up a ladder stand on a oak tree on my hay field edge and couldnt get it out of the branches and there were no workable popple trees around.

We have a few that are left out. They have a "mesh" type of seat and the squirrels seem to stay away from it. We have been looking at a tripod style too. There are a few spots that we could do well with them I think.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have tried quite a few but like the Big Game 1.5's the best. I am a good sized boy at 240 lbs and 6' 1" and these fit well and leave room to easily slide around for shots toward the back. Seat raises up if you want to stand. Mesh seat so comfortable. Have about 6 of those and another 6 of other brands.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I have 11 ladder stands and all but one are single man stands. Most were bought used at yard sales or flea markets for cheap. I modify mine with shooting rails and I have a few that I added more floor to and extended them back the tree and added a second strap. I make my own padded seats for most and always ad hooks to hang everything up. Plenty of pipe insulation and armrest at the right height make them very comfortable. The one 2 man stand I have is a Walmart stand that I modified as soon as I bought it. Double stands are just to heavy to get up in the steep mountains that I hunt

Last edited by srwshooter; 06/19/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I like the double stands. The more room the better--IMO

Originally Posted by VaHunter
I highly suggest purchasing only double ladder stands. Once you use them a single stand is way to cramped, especially with a lot of hunting clothes on. You can turn in a double stand and shoot to the right or left easily.

Yep.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get a double

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a very delicate backside and the game winner deluxe ladder stand at Academy Sports is the most comfortable ladder stand I have ever sat in that is currently on the market. Seems like everytime a manufacturer comes out with a comfortable stand, the discontinue it after a year or so. They started making the the tree lounge ladder stand again. I would love to try one but I can get 2 of the game winners and still have $50 left over for the price of the tree lounge.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've got 2 of these. It's the most comfortable stand I own.

https://shop.biggametreestands.com/hunter-hd-1-5/

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have I think 5 of these and agree totally.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Well, I ordered a Millennium double. Looking forward to trying it out. I may try one of the Rivers Edge as well. Thanks for all of the responses.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've settled on the El Cheapos at Dicks in the neighborhood of $100. No frills. Well made. I only use two ladder sections instead of three, and, at my age (mid 60's) I still find them fairly easy to move by myself. Why spend $200 - $250 on a big, heavy turret that looks like something that should be on the end of Fort Apache that takes a 2 or 3 men to set up.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
spend the money get a double stand, it's nice to be able to stretch out.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,117 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.