24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy Canada day.... I listened to a few stations. I'm just not into the "radio sport" part of Ham radio. We have some club members that live and breath contesting... just not my thing.

It did sound like there was a big turn out with pretty decent propagation so fine business on that:

One of the few Amateur Radio events that takes place on a fixed date each year and often during the week, the Canada Day Contest on July 1 commemorates the anniversary of Canada’s confederation. It’s sponsored by Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC), and all are welcome to participate.

The contest runs from 0000 UTC until 2359 UTC on July 1, which means it gets underway the evening of June 30 in US time zones. Activity is on all modes, 160 meters through 2 meters.

Canadian stations send a signal report and their province or territory. VE0 stations. Stations outside Canada send a signal report and a serial number. Contacts with RAC official stations are 20 points (listen for the “RAC” suffix).

Participants may work any station once on each of two modes and on each of the eight contest bands.

There are 13 multipliers — Canada’s 10 provinces and three territories. The station submitting the highest Single Operator score from outside Canada will win the Larry Kayser, VA3LK, Memorial trophy.

Please don't feed the trolls!
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve, what's your experience with a ham radio in hunting camp? Are you using 2M? Are there repeaters nearby?

Murphy was a grunt.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by fremont
Steve, what's your experience with a ham radio in hunting camp? Are you using 2M? Are there repeaters nearby?

My experiences have generally been very good. Not every location has repeaters, but where I hunt, many do. For example, when we go moose hunting around Gerladton, there are two repeaters that I can hit with either my HT or mobile radio. Like everything else, there are certain spots where the signal is blocked or degraded. For LOS comms, I get a few miles coverage. If you are away from the main camp, and going to one of the areas that we hunt, I can usually communicate with the camp.

The repeaters in Northern Ontario seem to have a wider coverage area. It makes sense, given their locations, I suppose.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
On 1 Jul, I ordered a Xiegu X-90 HF transceiver. 1 to 20 watts. Lightweight, small and not power hungry. It should be good to take out for field days or hunting trips. It tunes 10 -160, and I will feed with a dipole or an EFHW.

According to the ARRL in QST magazine, it has a great tuner and antenna analyzer too.

USD $425, CDN $675

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
QYT KT-8900R

I have been playing with this radio for about a month now. It seems to work fine. I am not sure about the long range, but for $82, it won't bother me if it melts. I bought it from amazon. Reviews are mixed, but for me, nothing bad to report. I am using a Comet SBB-7NMO antenna and a cup holder mount. This thing is small.

For those who are considering a radio with a small footprint, this might serve. As you can see from the pic, it doesn't get in the way. For those of you with small cars, this works. I have this one in my Ford Escape. It would also work well at a hunting camp. O/P is approx. 25 watts and that can be run with a deep cycle battery. Combine it with an inexpensive vertical, and you'll blow away GMRS and CB radios for range. Even better, if you can hit a repeater!

The programming software from the QYT site works just fine as well. www.qytradio.com It is dead easy to use. The only problem I am having is not he fault of the software. I wanted to be able to have the repeater name displayed under the freq. I don't know if it can be done, but it's a minor inconvenience. Presently, it is a channel no. which isn't of much use.

Like many radios these days, it is easier to program using software rather than manually inputting everything. Just keep the manual in your car.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

R
R
Hello all ,VA7ASJ here , only using the 2m band mostly for 4x4 trips, works much better then cb .

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Welcome to the board. Where are you located? I used to live on the Island. I was stationed in Comox and got my license there in the dim times.

Yes, VHF/UHF is much better than CB for range. I have been running Yaesu radios almost exclusively for many years. They are built like a tank, but the other radios are stout as well. What are you using?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
New ham here, KC3PJG. Got my ticket in June and taking the General exam this Saturday. Bought a set of twins for at home, IC-9700 and IC-7300 , have a 2 meter IC-2300h in the truck.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Running two multi band verticals at the moment. Thinking of going with a 3 band, 10-15-20 meter Yagi when I get more HF privileges.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice radios. Good luck on your test!

It's always nice to hear about more people getting involved in radio. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Passed the General exam today which gives me HF operating privileges in the General and Technician portions of all the bands.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Congratulations!! You must be feeling great this morning. Have you fired up your rig on one of the "new to you" bands yet? smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
No, things to do this morning, will try 20 meters when I get back. Need to add the special identifier "AG" till the FCC puts me in the data base.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
How long does that usually take?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
How long does that usually take?

I should be in by this Thursday as long as the examiners submit the information this Monday

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
You'd think with modern computers that the examiner could go online and make the notation. smile Regardless, it's done!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
You'd think with modern computers that the examiner could go online and make the notation. smile Regardless, it's done!

With all this COVID nonsense going on we took the test outside at a picnic pavilion with no electricity. As long as I have my dated certificate of completion and add / AG to my call sign it’s perfectly legal to use the HF privileges. Made my very first DX contact yesterday! Moscow Russia of all places. LOL!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pat85
Passed the General exam today which gives me HF operating privileges in the General and Technician portions of all the bands.

Congratulations! You are going to love General class privileges and the 7300 changed amateur radio in a way no other radio ever has... I invested more money with a Flex 6500... I love SDR being able to "see" all the signals is amazing... a few years after I bought a Flex the 7300 came out and provided most of the same performance at maybe 1/3 of the cost..... They sound great right out of the box with the stock hand mic....

I'm in NC and retired If you would like to pick a time and frequency to set up a QSO I'd be happy to do that. Send me a PM or my email is good on QRZ if you would like to make a campfire contact

KK4FZI

John

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I'm in NC and retired If you would like to pick a time and frequency to set up a QSO I'd be happy to do that. Send me a PM or my email is good on QRZ if you would like to make a campfire contact

KK4FZI

John

Will do! I had no idea the popularity of the 7300 until I started making contacts on 6 and 10 meters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not very popular with Hams that spent 8000 to 9000 on flagship analog transceivers a few years back..... suddenly their value on the used market crashed.... Hams are like rifle loonies always trading gear to get the next best thing.... software defined radios are now that thing.... you did great!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just ordered a Mosley tri band classic 33 . They have to build it, won't see it till October they claim. Making DX contacts into eastern Europe and South America with the vertical when the conditions are good on 20 meters.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.