Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

You have 2 options via the bighorns, 14 and 16, both cross over at around 9500 feet, so depends on the day, both are open year round, again depends on the day.

I’ve never taken 16 through Ten Sleep. But it’s probably the coolest name for a town ever.

Bob where do you wet a line around Sheridan? Have you been down into the middle fork of the Powder west of Kaycee yet? If no I definitely recommend the trip, that canyon is a magical place.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I like 16,, An easier trip.. There is a lake along the road stocked with trout.. Lots of people fish it, you can tell by the amount of dead trout lying along the shore.. I have never missed catching a few,, Pretty stop,, In ten sleep canyon stop at Leigh Cr, Information sign.. Named for an English hunter who fell from the cliffs while hunting sheep.. There is a marker on top of the cliff, but hard to see without binoculars!! Shell canyon is also beautiful but coming off the face of the mountain is very steep!! You can also catch the Medicine Wheel on that road.. Cool thing to see..It is an easy trip from Cody to Red Lodge ... Go up to Belfry Mt. And cut over the hills.. You will pass the Smith Mine disaster an interesting stop ,, /Red Lodge Ales is on the road to Billings at the edge of town.. 212 I think.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
If you have a day, the Beartooth Highway is AWESOME!! Plan on a day from Cody to Red Lodge.. Then come home via the Belfry trip..

Molon Labe
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Man, y'all are killing me. I'm gonna need to do another week of just fishing, beer drinking and traveling. Not necessarily in that order. LOL

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I like 16,, An easier trip.. There is a lake along the road stocked with trout.. Lots of people fish it, you can tell by the amount of dead trout lying along the shore.. I have never missed catching a few,, Pretty stop,, In ten sleep canyon stop at Leigh Cr, Information sign.. Named for an English hunter who fell from the cliffs while hunting sheep.. There is a marker on top of the cliff, but hard to see without binoculars!! Shell canyon is also beautiful but coming off the face of the mountain is very steep!! You can also catch the Medicine Wheel on that road.. Cool thing to see..It is an easy trip from Cody to Red Lodge ... Go up to Belfry Mt. And cut over the hills.. You will pass the Smith Mine disaster an interesting stop ,, /Red Lodge Ales is on the road to Billings at the edge of town.. 212 I think.

Yep, hwy 212 on the north side of town. The OnX Offroad app also lists breweries. LOL It's a great app to have for $30/year. More road and trail information than Hunt. The two together do a lot of good IMHO

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by x2mosg
Thanks a lot Joel. That's the kind of information I was looking for. That's a big help for sure. my primary rod is a 4 weight Winston and I've got a couple others, and a 6 weight, so I'm good on equipment. We fish orange and yellow stimulators in the Smoky Mountains with a nymph on a dropper in the fall, so sounds like the rigging and presentation should be similar.

Thanks again!

David

You're going to find a lot more use for the 6 weight than the 4 due to wind! Not to say a 4 isn't useful depending on the action and where you end up fishing. I have zero useful suggestions for you but I'm sure you're going have a great time. Looking forward to fishing, hunting and brewery pictures!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I need to explore more, stayed around Buffalo now. Need to get up to the rivers around Sheridan and down around Kaycee and planning to hit Miracle Mile in 2 weeks for a day.

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by x2mosg
Thanks a lot Joel. That's the kind of information I was looking for. That's a big help for sure. my primary rod is a 4 weight Winston and I've got a couple others, and a 6 weight, so I'm good on equipment. We fish orange and yellow stimulators in the Smoky Mountains with a nymph on a dropper in the fall, so sounds like the rigging and presentation should be similar.

Thanks again!

David

You're going to find a lot more use for the 6 weight than the 4 due to wind! Not to say a 4 isn't useful depending on the action and where you end up fishing. I have zero useful suggestions for you but I'm sure you're going have a great time. Looking forward to fishing, hunting and brewery pictures!

I'll likely have a full selection of equipment along. Driving out gives me that option. It's a lot of driving but it gives a lot of freedom doing it that way.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

I need to explore more, stayed around Buffalo now. Need to get up to the rivers around Sheridan and down around Kaycee and planning to hit Miracle Mile in 2 weeks for a day.

The Mile is a great section of river for sure!

It’s a bit intimidating for me. Deep water, big boulders, high flows. Great fish though! It reminds me of a steelhead river.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am surprised no one has mentioned streamers for October fishing. Browns are beginning their spawning then and we have had great luck on Streamers from size 8 up to size 2

A local favorite called a Bighorn Special was my go to...it is pretty close to a Platte River Special.

Sinking line or at least 15 ft. Sink tip. Shooting head ( do people still use those?) unless you can double haul better than me....cover some water!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
I am surprised no one has mentioned streamers for October fishing. Browns are beginning their spawning then and we have had great luck on Streamers from size 8 up to size 2

A local favorite called a Bighorn Special was my go to...it is pretty close to a Platte River Special.

Sinking line or at least 15 ft. Sink tip. Shooting head ( do people still use those?) unless you can double haul better than me....cover some water!

shooting heads work great. Cast by double hauling, then start stacking line to get more depth . Let swing and slow strip, or fast strip, in.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ingwe you just need a Spey rod! Then no need to double haul.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

Ive watched April Vokey work a Spey rod...poetry in motion.

I figure if I'm too uncoordinated to do a double haul; ( which I am...) a Spey rod would be a HUGE mistake! cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

Ive watched April Vokey work a Spey rod...poetry in motion.

I figure if I'm too uncoordinated to do a double haul; ( which I am...) a Spey rod would be a HUGE mistake! cry

I'm definitely not that advanced yet. We do simple work in these small eastern streams. Roll casts are my most common, to avoid overhanging limbs n such.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I've tried double haul, don't have that down yet! Small streams with roll casts I got down!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Even on big western rivers I default to the roll cast often. The wind will often wreck a cast, even a good form cast. Roll casts stay closer to the water/spend less time in the wind!

X
x2mosg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
I'm rusty right now to be honest, but I'll be working in the yard between now and then. Actually gonna try to get up to Tennessee or North Georgia this weekend to walk some streams. Sure would be nice to get into some of those little Appalachian brookies. Probably need to plan on a hike to high ground for that.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
If you have a day, the Beartooth Highway is AWESOME!! Plan on a day from Cody to Red Lodge.. Then come home via the Belfry trip..

Just drove the bear tooth last week. A must do

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.