Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
My wife has a 2 3/4" S&W 640, it is a .357 but mostly gets fed .38's. I've carried it a few times, I wouldn't be too disappointed if I was carrying something similar all of the time.

I’ve got a 640 with a 2 1/8” barrel and it shoots much better than one would think. Great guns.

GB1

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I've decided to pick up a smaller framed 357 with a 3" or 4" barrel. I've had 686's and a few other larger framed S&W's, Ruger's and a Colt or two.

I don't want something as big and heavy as those and have been thinking of a 3" barreled S&W 60, a Ruger SP101 or another option, a Kimber K6S DASA. I can't see me carrying it, but at the same time, all of these are lighter than a 686, GP100 or one of the newer Colt's.

Any ideas from those that have had one or more of these?

My favorite for carrying, is a 4" Ruger Security Six. Accurate, light, and accurate!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My all time favorite smaller frame .357 is a S&W 19 2/12"barrel, W/round butt.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The new Colt King Cobra Target seems like it would fit. Colt “D” frame size, 4” barrel, adjustable sights, and a very smooth action.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am thinking of getting a 66-2 with a 4" barrel which has been lightly used. I think it is a bit overpriced at 600.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The new Colt King Cobra Target seems like it would fit. Colt “D” frame size, 4” barrel, adjustable sights, and a very smooth action.

Handled a King Cobra for the first time this morning, a 3" fixed sight version.

Con: The sights. The rear notch is too narrow for the front sight so there's little or no daylight around the blade and with the rear notch being silver colored you can't distinguish it clearly anyway. But that's just for the groove rear sight version, hopefully the black adjustable rear sight will be more compatible with a blade a bit further out on a 4" barrel.

Pro: Everything else. Build quality seemed very good, cylinder latched and unlatched smoothly and easily. The thing that stood out immediately was that DA trigger. It's supposed to be around 9 pounds and was definitely lighter than the normal 11-12 pounds of most revolvers and it had a very smooth stroke with a surprise break, no stacking at all. I have to say it was one of the best DA triggers I've tried on a new production revolver.

Overall size was great as well. It was smaller than a new Model 10 I'd looked at a minute earlier and was pretty much just right for a "smaller" .357. Price is the big stumbling block, a revolver going for close to $1000 is hard to swallow when I'm still trying to get my head around .357 Ruger Blackhawks selling in the mid $600 range.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just beware colts king cobra (at least the original one) is pretty short cylindered. If I seat 158gr lswc’s at the crimp groove, they won’t chamber on the Colt. The same loads fit in a 3” M60 Pro with ease. The 3” M60 is a real nice trail gun, but it does buck a bit with .357’s.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My only handgun for the past 4 years here in Alaska, has been an sp101 4.2" with a reflex sight. 180 grain swift A-frames over 15 grains lil gun for exactly 1200 fps for moose and bear protection. 158 grain speer tmj over 8 grains of unique for small game. I don't use the phrase "kit gun", but it's my main trail gun. 29 oz with reflex sight. Anything lighter, I wouldn't have put away the hundreds of lbs of beaver, grouse, ptarmigan or snowshoe hare. The lighter ones don't settle down. I wouldn't want a shorter barrel either. The 4.2" pistol fits in my pocket, plenty compact.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
My only handgun for the past 4 years here in Alaska, has been an sp101 4.2" with a reflex sight. 180 grain swift A-frames over 15 grains lil gun for exactly 1200 fps for moose and bear protection. 158 grain speer tmj over 8 grains of unique for small game. I don't use the phrase "kit gun", but it's my main trail gun. 29 oz with reflex sight. Anything lighter, I wouldn't have put away the hundreds of lbs of beaver, grouse, ptarmigan or snowshoe hare. The lighter ones don't settle down. I wouldn't want a shorter barrel either. The 4.2" pistol fits in my pocket, plenty compact.

You must have one hell of a pocket.
I'd like a pic, never seen a sight on a Ruger wheel gun.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by garddogg56
3" model 66 or an LCRx both great guns

I wonder just how miserable those magnums are in the lcrx .
. .

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I am thinking of getting a 66-2 with a 4" barrel which has been lightly used. I think it is a bit overpriced at 600.

If it's in halfway decent shape it's a little under priced. I bought a few of them years ago for $300-350 but today's market is closer to $750-800

Buy it!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by CaptArab

. .

I've got the 3" LCRx. It bucks with the full house 357 loads, but not painful for me. The grip absorbs a lot of the shock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

You must have one hell of a pocket.
I'd like a pic, never seen a sight on a Ruger wheel gun.

Pics before and after:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...gnum-reccomend-a-black-bear-defense-load

Dropping the burris in favor of a trijicon. Both will fit the same alchin mount.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What didn't you like about the Burris?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

. .

I've got the 3" LCRx. It bucks with the full house 357 loads, but not painful for me. The grip absorbs a lot of the shock.

When I used to shoot a lot of .357 Magnum (back in the 1980s when I was a huge advocate for it as a defensive caliber for concealed carry) out of my FBI-configured Model 65 (three inch bull barrel, round butt frame), I noticed that 158 grain loads were a lot less punishing in recoil vs 125 grain. It never made logical sense to me (you'd think it would be the other way around), but I couldn't deny the obvious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

. .

When I used to shoot a lot of .357 Magnum (back in the 1980s when I was a huge advocate for it as a defensive caliber for concealed carry) out of my FBI-configured Model 65 (three inch bull barrel, round butt frame), I noticed that 158 grain loads were a lot less punishing in recoil vs 125 grain. It never made logical sense to me (you'd think it would be the other way around), but I couldn't deny the obvious.

My perception also. I went completely to 158gr for everything except target work.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

If it's in halfway decent shape it's a little under priced. I bought a few of them years ago for $300-350 but today's market is closer to $750-800

Buy it!

Family Deal, it looks fantastic. When it was bought it was 325 and buried in a gunshop case. The owner of the LGS in question has a single digit IQ.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
What didn't you like about the Burris?

Hi pa,
It won't hold zero and is heading back to burris for repair. Guess I'll have to spend the big money on trijicon. When it's returned from burris, I'll probably just keep it as a spare.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Well, that's lame. I've been mulling the purchase of a couple of them for a .45 colt and a .357. You're prior reports of frequent use in another thread were encouraging. I looked at Trijicons as well but the price is certainly off-putting for wanting two of them. For what it's worth, their model with the smaller square window is more durable than the one with the bigger round window.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pa, this is the second burris to loose zero on me. First was a burris timberline 2-7. Both of these are made in the Philippines.

Was issued a brand new trijicon agog and brand new m4 carbine for my third and final one-year tour in Iraq many years ago.

I dropped to the ground hard a half dozen times, hard enough to chip my elbows. The optic never lost zero the entire deployment. Before that, I had an eotech holographic on my issued m249 machine gun. Everyone else had aimpoints on m16 a2's. Never had issue with any of them. Zero was confirmed every time we had a convoy leave for missions. Only issue was a dead battery on an aimpoint occasionally.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at is my limited experience with illuminated sights from the above mentioned brands has been positive. Goodbye Burris.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (240NMC, 204guy, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.