Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I've decided to pick up a smaller framed 357 with a 3" or 4" barrel. I've had 686's and a few other larger framed S&W's, Ruger's and a Colt or two.

I don't want something as big and heavy as those and have been thinking of a 3" barreled S&W 60, a Ruger SP101 or another option, a Kimber K6S DASA. I can't see me carrying it, but at the same time, all of these are lighter than a 686, GP100 or one of the newer Colt's.

Any ideas from those that have had one or more of these?

Something like one of these 66's might work for you.

I picked all of these up in the $550-650 range. Don't know if that's possible now. Probably more in the $750-800 range now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by CaptArab
Originally Posted by garddogg56
3" model 66 or an LCRx both great guns

I wonder just how miserable those magnums are in the lcrx .
. .

I've got the 3" LCRx. It bucks with the full house 357 loads, but not painful for me. The grip absorbs a lot of the shock.

When I used to shoot a lot of .357 Magnum (back in the 1980s when I was a huge advocate for it as a defensive caliber for concealed carry) out of my FBI-configured Model 65 (three inch bull barrel, round butt frame), I noticed that 158 grain loads were a lot less punishing in recoil vs 125 grain. It never made logical sense to me (you'd think it would be the other way around), but I couldn't deny the obvious.

My perception also. I went completely to 158gr for everything except target work.

I've noticed the same, even in the 9mm. Heavier bullet feeling a little softer in recoil.

Seems I've heard the same regarding the 40SW. Heavier 180s have less perceived recoil.

I wonder if the higher velocity load causes a higher velocity recoil, and it is perceived as harder in the hand.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That could be it, Montana.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had never really thought about that, but after a conversation about the best way to make major power factor I remembered several experiences that reinforce the same thing. 185 grain 45ACP loads and 125 grain .357 loads were the first thoughts. Both noticeably snappier than their heavy counterparts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cwh2
I had never really thought about that, but after a conversation about the best way to make major power factor I remembered several experiences that reinforce the same thing. 185 grain 45ACP loads and 125 grain .357 loads were the first thoughts. Both noticeably snappier than their heavy counterparts.

I refuse to shoot a 185 in a 45. 230.. and up. Unless it's a hardcast 200-220. But, If I go hard cast, I usually prefer the heavies, 250-255.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the info on the LCRX, fellas.
I may have to pick one up to pair with my Henry model X for the whole new school millennial cowbow vibe 😂

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've noticed the same, even in the 9mm. Heavier bullet feeling a little softer in recoil.

Seems I've heard the same regarding the 40SW. Heavier 180s have less perceived recoil.

I wonder if the higher velocity load causes a higher velocity recoil, and it is perceived as harder in the hand.

It could just be a perception thing, because the physics don't work out. But in most auto pistol rounds, lighter bullet loads tend to have a great deal more muzzle blast and noise from the increased powder charge. You REALLY notice it in .40...ever shoot a 135gr load? WHOA!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek

It could just be a perception thing, because the physics don't work out. But in most auto pistol rounds, lighter bullet loads tend to have a great deal more muzzle blast and noise from the increased powder charge. You REALLY notice it in .40...ever shoot a 135gr load? WHOA!

No, it's actually the recoil. Physics would seem to be the opposite, but it's real. I much preferred the recoil impulse of 158 grain Magnums vs 125 grain.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your argument is with physics, not me. Here’s a recoil calculator, use common published factory load values and see for yourself. http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Recoil velocity is higher with lighter bullets

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Recoil velocity is higher with lighter bullets

That might explain the difference in felt recoil.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Your argument is with physics, not me. Here’s a recoil calculator, use common published factory load values and see for yourself. http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

Stating a preference, based on repeated experience, isn't reducible to an "argument with physics." There can be factors, grounded in physics, that you're not accounting for.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

When I was shooting IPSC, I decided to put a compensated barrel on my Delta Elite and try some of those 135s loaded to Major power factor. They were a real hoot, and the comp worked like a champ with those things, but they were as loud as the .38 Supers loaded the same way (IOW, obnoxious as Hell), and when shooting thru a tube or other impedimentia for whatever the match required, the muzzle blast actually moved the tube around enough to slow me down, rather than help me speed up. It was sure fun, though. I had a 2X scope (yeah, a regular pistol scope) on it, and it didn't move the crosshairs much, but those 135s were more nuisance than fun, overall.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grips make a big difference in both how the revolver feels and how it conceals. The Model 60 and the DAO Model 65 both have three inch barrels. The 65 is a lot more pleasant to shoot with magnum loads, but in a pinch, either is a good choice for social issues.

Sam......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Literally every poster on here that has a 3" mod 60 loves it.

Myself included.

MAGA
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Literally every poster on here that has a 3" mod 60 loves it.

Myself included.

I've got one in .38 Special +P with a three inch barrel, but it's scandium/titanium, with a fiber optic front sight. It was meant to be a backpacker's or fisherman's gun. So light, it feels in the hand like a potato chip.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Oh, wait, I've also got an old school one, polished and blued steel (pinned) barrel and cylinder, polished black aluminum frame, with a three inch barrel and fixed sights. Not sure if I ever shot that one. I don't think so. It's a .38 Special, but not rated for +P. Looks like a new gun.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Oh, wait, I've also got an old school one, polished and blued steel (pinned) barrel and cylinder, polished black aluminum frame, with a three inch barrel and fixed sights. Not sure if I ever shot that one. I don't think so. It's a .38 Special, but not rated for +P. Looks like a new gun.

I always thought the following was a neat little revolver but I never owned one. I did own a short titanium model and it was not an enjoyable shooting experience.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-model-mp360-0

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I always thought the following was a neat little revolver but I never owned one. I did own a short titanium model and it was not an enjoyable shooting experience.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-model-mp360-0

That is a nifty configuration. I used to have one almost exactly like it, but mine looked like a miniaturized L-Frame (full length underlug) with standard adjustable sights, round butt frame. Same dull black finish as the one in your link. I regretted selling that almost as soon as I did it. Probably back in the 1990s.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I've always figured your gun safe(s) would provide a pretty cool and wide assortment of handguns.

MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,102
Posts18,464,178
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.