Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Karl, a serious question, what is your idea of protection from bears, other than a firearm? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Don’t get me started.
I’ve had numerous arguments with law enforcement over this both OPP and Conservation Officers. Iam never very far from a firearm and I don’t own any pepper spray. I have told numerous officers that if they leave their firearm at home and just carry Bear spray so will I—otherwise just arrest me. Many have threatened me with arrest—none have carried thru with it. I don’t know a single cop whoever had to pay for his own bear spray—hell they don’t even pay for their own guns.
On average about twice a year a bear wanders thru my yard—I usually go out and holler at them and scare them off—if they leave and don’t come back its all well and good. If they don’t leave at my request I deal with it—as you can imagine. I do Not notify the local authorities or anyone else for that matter—i can’t stand the inane questions and statements from gov’t employees—not to mention the paperwork.
Predatory Black Bears are not common—very rare really. I have never met one and I earned my living chasing bears for a lot of years. I think a bear that hunts you for food might just get you even if your armed.
A stout stick will handle the majority of black bears and I would have as much confidence in that than I would a can of spray.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Don’t get me started.
I’ve had numerous arguments with law enforcement over this both OPP and Conservation Officers. Iam never very far from a firearm and I don’t own any pepper spray. I have told numerous officers that if they leave their firearm at home and just carry Bear spray so will I—otherwise just arrest me. Many have threatened me with arrest—none have carried thru with it. I don’t know a single cop whoever had to pay for his own bear spray—hell they don’t even pay for their own guns.
On average about twice a year a bear wanders thru my yard—I usually go out and holler at them and scare them off—if they leave and don’t come back its all well and good. If they don’t leave at my request I deal with it—as you can imagine. I do Not notify the local authorities or anyone else for that matter—i can’t stand the inane questions and statements from gov’t employees—not to mention the paperwork.
Predatory Black Bears are not common—very rare really. I have never met one and I earned my living chasing bears for a lot of years. I think a bear that hunts you for food might just get you even if your armed.
A stout stick will handle the majority of black bears and I would have as much confidence in that than I would a can of spray.

I considered that when you report killing nuisance bears, they have to drop by and ask those questions. It's their job. One of the things they often do, depending on the animal, is investigate to see if it is sick. Rabies is always no. one. I agree that calling the authorities is usually bothersome.

When we worked air wpns ranges in bear country, we carried shotguns.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Steve—I live 35 miles outta town—the idea that local law enforcement would just stop by to discuss a nusiance bear killing is ridiculess. If they get a report of someone discharging a firearm in the middle of July—that will get their attention right smartly.
In a year when we have a complete berry crop failure its not uncommon for 30 or 40 bears to be dispatched in the little town of Nipigon.
There hasn’t been a reported case of rabies locally in my lifetime.
If I report a bear killing I will get a call from some young sweet lady—from where I have no idea—but she will ask me about how full my bird feeders are and where I store my BBQ. She will also want to know exactly how the bear carcass was disposed of. Iam quite sure it would give her apoplexy if I told the truth.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Joezone
They show up in places you don't expect on occasion. Someone I consider absolutely reliable saw a grizzly in Washington south of Mt Rainier. Several years ago a black bear was seen wandering through the U district in Seattle late at night.

Last Fall, I was deer hunting on a ranch about 60 kms North of Medicine Hat. While I didn't see a bear, I found a steaming pile of what looked to me like bear schitt. No snow and the ground was dry and hard so I couldn't see any tracks. I have seen plenty of it in the past so, being on the bald azz Prairie a long way South of the Parkland region where there are bears, this was a surprise. I took a photo of it with my cell and showed it to a few folks who I know are familiar with bears to confirm my suspicions. Every one of them agreed with the assessment that it was bear schitt. So, yep, they do show up in strange areas.
In addition to the White tail, Mule deer, Elk, Antelope, Moose and Cougars in SE Alberta, I also believe Black bears are slowly repopulating the area. Makes sense as they were once common here as were Grizzly.
Jeff

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Steve—I live 35 miles outta town—the idea that local law enforcement would just stop by to discuss a nusiance bear killing is ridiculess. If they get a report of someone discharging a firearm in the middle of July—that will get their attention right smartly.
In a year when we have a complete berry crop failure its not uncommon for 30 or 40 bears to be dispatched in the little town of Nipigon.
There hasn’t been a reported case of rabies locally in my lifetime.
If I report a bear killing I will get a call from some young sweet lady—from where I have no idea—but she will ask me about how full my bird feeders are and where I store my BBQ. She will also want to know exactly how the bear carcass was disposed of. Iam quite sure it would give her apoplexy if I told the truth.

What you say doesn't surprise me. They have procedures that they have to follow. I am merely pointing out that they are doing their jobs. Whether it's on site or a phone call, they are not doing it to annoy you.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Handguns might be better than pepper spray, maybe. Or it might just make him mad. My cousin had always want to kill a bear with a handgun, so when there was large problem garbage bear. He got his chance. He emptied the 357 and the bear literally died at his feet. His brother was supposed to be backing him up with a 30/30, instead when he turned, his brother was laughing his head off.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had a blackie raid the lodge kitchen supplies. We wrapped bacon around a can of mosquito repellent and he stayed away for a couple of days after chomping on this. When he came back he smashed through the screen door of the cook cabin, our cook who was the first woman to finish the Iditarod was not going to have any of this. She whacked the bear soundly on the head with a twelve inch skillet. The bear departed in great haste and destroyed what was left of the screen door. Not only did the bear not return none of the guides pilfered from the kitchen after this encounter.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by troutfly
Originally Posted by Joezone
They show up in places you don't expect on occasion. Someone I consider absolutely reliable saw a grizzly in Washington south of Mt Rainier. Several years ago a black bear was seen wandering through the U district in Seattle late at night.

Last Fall, I was deer hunting on a ranch about 60 kms North of Medicine Hat. While I didn't see a bear, I found a steaming pile of what looked to me like bear schitt. No snow and the ground was dry and hard so I couldn't see any tracks. I have seen plenty of it in the past so, being on the bald azz Prairie a long way South of the Parkland region where there are bears, this was a surprise. I took a photo of it with my cell and showed it to a few folks who I know are familiar with bears to confirm my suspicions. Every one of them agreed with the assessment that it was bear schitt. So, yep, they do show up in strange areas.
In addition to the White tail, Mule deer, Elk, Antelope, Moose and Cougars in SE Alberta, I also believe Black bears are slowly repopulating the area. Makes sense as they were once common here as were Grizzly.
Jeff

Several black bears have been spotted and one taken this spring by a young guy, just east of Sedalia.

Pitter Patter!
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
These people in Anchorage have a bear story, don't know what language they're speaking...The mother got in first, was surprised by someone's return, took off, leaving the cubs inside

Last edited by sse; 07/28/20.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Huh, good summer thread. Living in BC we probably have our share of bear encounters. Reading the thread brings back some memories.

My closest encounter was up the BC coast a bit, in the early summer of 1980, when I still made my living with a chainsaw. We were way up and back in a high box canyon that the tree line faded away in. The place was rotten with berries where the trees disappeared so there were a few bears around. I was about 800 feet back off the road near the end of the treeline. Had my 2100 buried in a 6 foot red cedar when I got this funny feeling and looked to my left. There was a sow and cub about 5 feet from me. The cub was acting like a puppy but the sow had her head down, her ears down, and she was making that clicking noise with her teeth as she slowly approached me swinging her said side to side.

I yanked my saw out of the cut and shoved the bar in her face while I revved the saw up. She jumped back a couple of feet and then started coming in again. I had the bar a few inches from her face with the mist off the oil going right in her face. She stopped.

I grabbed my axe with my left and continued to jab the saw at her with my right (I was pretty strong back then). My day pack, which had my lunch in it, was evenly between us. With my axe I hooked my pack and backed away. When I was about 10 feet back I put the pack and axe down and stood there facing the bear with saw back in two hands, idling.

We stared at each other for awhile and then I backed up a little further and started bouncing rocks off her head to drive her away. She just kept on staring at me. Then I bounced a couple off the cub, he started bawling and rook off. At this point the mother took off after the cub.

I was up in that valley for another week... Kept looking around all the time until we finished up there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 83 invisible), 2,774 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.