Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
some parts are important. Some not so much.

Some need to be right, like a barrel. A bolt. And the work that goes with them. Others not really. I"d say off a quick thought... an extractor should be good too..

but there are parts that don't much matter as long as they fit. Float tubes are one.of course one of the last ones a friend gave me to assemble the tube was fine. The part that goes over the barrel nut.. way small. had to do some significant relief to get it to fit. Of course 30 minutes was cheaper than higher dollar. And a tube is a tube.

Those that rely on the guns for lives, or big matches rather than fun and plinking, you know who you are, and what you need to do.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Its a toolcraft bcg. I think the consensus here is they are good.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I have several. Yes, they are good BCG's. IMO very high on the "bang for your buck" scale.

After viewing several of the SOTAR video's I went through all my BGC's gauging what I could and giving each a through once over. The PSA premiums by all appearances are very nice examples.

To be clear, I'm not endorsing all PSA BCG's, but I do like their Premiums.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/18/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Much appreciated AS. Informative thread.

More generic is the description of what came with my PSA pistol kit. " Carpenter 158 Nitride BCG & Charging Handle". Hmmm. More mid-grade?

So, a cheapass generic unspecified material BCG, like I have acquired with Bear Creek uppers, should not be expected to last. Will it also cause premature wear on other parts?

Anyone care to briefly explain why an Anderson lower is a POS as has been stated on this forum many times? I'll have four. The two I've seen appeared to be machined without flaw. I guess they could be thicker in places, better material?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

More generic is the description of what came with my PSA pistol kit. " Carpenter 158 Nitride BCG & Charging Handle". Hmmm. More mid-grade?

So, a cheapass generic unspecified material BCG, like I have acquired with Bear Creek uppers, should not be expected to last. Will it also cause premature wear on other parts?

Anyone care to briefly explain why an Anderson lower is a POS as has been stated on this forum many times? I'll have four. The two I've seen appeared to be machined without flaw. I guess they could be thicker in places, better material?

MB, I'm not sure that's really the consensus of the high volume shooters and builders on this forum. IMO the single most commodity part on an AR is the lower. It's just a piece of aluminum with some machining, some hole drilled, and a coating. So long as the dimensions are correct, it's pretty hard to screw up.

Generally, this is considered a good place to save money so you can spend more on the parts that matter, such as the barrel and BCG.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Right on. Appreciate it.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

MB, I'm not sure that's really the consensus of the high volume shooters and builders on this forum. IMO the single most commodity part on an AR is the lower. It's just a piece of aluminum with some machining, some hole drilled, and a coating. So long as the dimensions are correct, it's pretty hard to screw up.

Generally, this is considered a good place to save money so you can spend more on the parts that matter, such as the barrel and BCG.

Yep. The receiver is definitely a good place to cut costs.

Not

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
What's funny is all the people who buy a stripped brand name lower, assemble it themselves with cheap parts and then think that it's that name brand. I see it all the time at the shop.

Last edited by UPhiker; 07/22/20.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don’t know if that’ll open without an account. But it’s SOLGW talking about the QC they do on every barrel and gas block that comes in their shop. You can’t watch that and believe the less expensive brands are paying people to do the same, or are paying for better parts.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 07/22/20.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I don’t know if that’ll open without an account. But it’s SOLGW talking about the QC they do on every barrel and gas block that comes in their shop. You can’t watch that and believe the less expensive brands are paying people to do the same, or are paying for better parts.

Interesting video. Maybe you've mentioned it before, but what guns do you prefer? Are you shooting factory guns or guns you've built? What's the best factory duty/service gun in your experience, not a range toy?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Interesting video. Maybe you've mentioned it before, but what guns do you prefer? Are you shooting factory guns or guns you've built? What's the best factory duty/service gun in your experience, not a range toy?

I've got a mix. Currently for work I've got a Geissele built upper and a SOLGW upper (it's all their parts but I assembled it because I didn't want to wait on them) on lowers that I assembled (Aero lowers with SOLGW and Geissele LPKs and SOLGW / LaRue triggers). I'd be fine carrying a BCM or Sionics also.

I went with Aero lowers because I'm irrationally partial to integral trigger guards and they've got one with an American flag on the magwell. Sprinco springs in everything. Magpul MS3 slings and K2 grips.

If I had it my way I'd have JP triggers in both of them. It's on the list.

Outside of SOLGW, Geissele, BCM, and Sionics I don't really see a need to go looking for important parts from anywhere else.

I'd be fine carrying a complete gun I built. I went to a Will Larson (now deceased) armorer school and it opened my eyes to a lot of what's important and what can go wrong. I would have felt comfortable carrying a me-built gun before that class but only because I didn't know what I didn't know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Outside of SOLGW, Geissele, BCM, and Sionics I don't really see a need to go looking for important parts from anywhere else.

I don't know much about SLOGW other than what you've posted, but I use the other 3.

Geiselle stuff is pretty much all good, & I like to use it when I can, but most of their stuff (that they make internally) is & has been out of stock for 4-5 months or so...................think they got a big .guv contract, so their civilian business has been left to suffer, ditto to some degree for ALG, which they own.

BCM supply has been pretty good for the most part until just recently; haven't bought anything from SIONICS for a while.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Forget about getting any BCM stuff right now. I'm on their list for a lot of stuff and have received zero email notices for "in stock".

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thats too bad about BCM. If parts are that hard to find, I have a BCM trigger I'd sell real cheap... wink Its a POFS though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

I've got a mix. Currently for work I've got a Geissele built upper and a SOLGW upper (it's all their parts but I assembled it because I didn't want to wait on them) on lowers that I assembled (Aero lowers with SOLGW and Geissele LPKs and SOLGW / LaRue triggers). I'd be fine carrying a BCM or Sionics also.

I went with Aero lowers because I'm irrationally partial to integral trigger guards and they've got one with an American flag on the magwell. Sprinco springs in everything. Magpul MS3 slings and K2 grips.

If I had it my way I'd have JP triggers in both of them. It's on the list.

I'd be fine carrying a complete gun I built. I went to a Will Larson (now deceased) armorer school and it opened my eyes to a lot of what's important and what can go wrong. I would have felt comfortable carrying a me-built gun before that class but only because I didn't know what I didn't know.

the Daniel Defense brand guns, their BCG,s barrels, general uppers have always worked for me. However I also have used Aero uppers, BCM, LMT, and Colt and so far have had no problems. Thinking of buying a toolcraft BCG as a spare if i can find one. .

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a PSA BCG for a plinker gun. Paid 79.99 for it. Gun is a hodgepodge of parts. 2700 rounds through it without failure. Buddy purchased same BCG same day I did. His failed under 600 rounds.

If this gun was for anything other than plinking I would be worried and have purchased a much higher quality BCG or parts.

For that type of rifle( plinker) parts be parts

If my life depends on it, it won’t be PSA

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Antelope Sniper and Bluedreaux,

Those are good vids.

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Yeah, ya got me cold.............................I'll admit to using several of their triggers, a couple of rails (before they became un-obtainium) & some charging handles, which I like better than any others.

As I said earlier, their stuff pretty well works as advertised.

As for BCG's, I really prefer the ones from Young Manufacturing as my 1st choice, especially the HMB bolts, but their stuff has also become un-obtainium over the last several months..................I suppose for the same reasons as Geiselle, other volume contracts on various parts, taking away production of their mainstream consumer items.

The Young HMB bolts have a blind hole such that the cam pin doesn't go completely through, thus greatly strengthening the bolt in it's weakest area.

MM

I've been studying up on those Young's BCG. On their National Match carriers the machine them with more material on the front rails. This results in the bolts riding straighter in the upper receiver and the bolt face aligning more square with the chamber.

Young's has the NM stripped carriers in stock but no national match nor HMB bolts.

It's also rumored that Youngs make at least the Nationl Match carriers for Les Baer. Les's website doesn't update it's inventory, but you might be able to give them a call and see if they have something you need (or just want).

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

246 members (360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 416RigbyHunter, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,448
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.