Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My son is about to start a 18 week Line Tech course and we’ve been discussing a lot of different options once he graduates. CoOp vs contract work and how to get his foot in the right door. Anyone have experience in this career field?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m not a lineman but I work amongst them at an electric COOP. I don’t know about contract work, we have a full time crew and do most everything ourselves. But working for the COOP is a pretty gravy gig. I don’t know if they’re all the way mine is but I suspect that there’s some similarities.

The linemen are on call all the time in case of storms or what not, fairly rare that they’re called out but possible. They also have some leniency with showing up when you’re called, they usually only need a few guys and understand if you don’t have a babysitter or had a six pack while mowing the yard on Saturday afternoon. That’s the “bad”.

The good is that they have good equipment that the certs and maintenance are kept up on. Nice trucks they’re assigned. All clothing and safety gear is supplied. Pretty good amount of vacation time that grows the longer you’re there. Excellent healthcare insurance. Retire in 30 with a pension plus your 401k they’ll match to %13. They’re also probably in the top %5 in the area for hourly wages.

I work for the actual COOP but I’ve talked with guys who work for the power companies that are members of the COOP and they’re pay and benefits are close if not a little better than ours.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
My son is about to start a 18 week Line Tech course and we’ve been discussing a lot of different options once he graduates. CoOp vs contract work and how to get his foot in the right door. Anyone have experience in this career field?
I was a lineman for 38 years.Great profession that pays well.The downside lost a few co-workers along the way, on call,long hours away from home for weeks at a time,chitty weather.Loved the work.

Last edited by coobie; 07/29/20.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been doing it for 34 years. Contract work is a lot of fun when your young but it gets old living out of a suitcase. A lot of money can be made but not much for benefits. Coop’s generally have great insurance and retirement. Maybe not as much pay as others but for a family man it is generally the better way to go. The downside is being on call a lot. Hard work but good living can be had. Good luck to him!

Hutch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm an IT guy, not a lineman. However, I did work for 2 years in the IT dept. of a large metro power company. I've put in nearly 40 years, and I can truthfully say that I have never worked around so many guys with hooks. Some had 1 hook; some had two hooks. Of course, once you get your hook, you're no good on the bucket truck, so they give you a job in the business office.

While I was there, the company instituted a new policy of showing safety videos monthly and everyone, including IT had to attend. Yikes. It made me glad the only cable I string is Cat 5e.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input guys. I’m hoping the guys that run the program will give him the intel on which way to go. He’s young and single and wants to travel which is why I think he likes the contract idea. From what we’ve been told some of the contract gigs pay a lot of OT too but it does depend on who you are working for. We know it’s a dangerous job as are many, but safety safety safety is part of our current culture in most work environments unlike many years past.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quick side tackle, class of '76

Specialized in tackling cheerleaders.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was at an earlier age. I feel like I made enough mistakes in that career choice that I would recommend against construction work and travelling . It was a long time ago, though and I worked for a good company, but the guys I knew that chose to go to an REA or city job have been retired happily with great benefits a long time now. Young and bullet proof back then, I enjoyed the hard work and travelling. A couple injuries ended my lifestyle at the time, plus I got married and we had 2 beautiful daughters. You can be proud of him for his choice, it ain't easy, but safety measures and equipment like bucket trucks have much improved since the 70's when I started.

Last edited by ST50; 07/29/20.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
For the county???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
For the county???

And not a hair outa place 👍🏻

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did an electrical apprenticeship with Santa Fe railroad back in the 70's and at that time line work was part of the job. Hated climbing poles, especially the ones on the railroad that had been out there since the first golden spike was driven.

Anyway, I worked there for a few years and then decided this ain't for me and went to college and got a EE degree. Things got much better after that. I ran the apprenticeship program for a few years at the utility I worked and was in charge of making sure our personnel were up to date on all the new safety requirements. Man has safety changed in the last 40 years.

But if he likes it he can make some real good money and with all the companies having modern equipment now it's not like it was back in the 70's. Tell him to take the safety side of his training real seriously and if it seems like overkill well he's right it is overkill......until you need it. Then it will save your life.

"Always Wear Your Gloves"

Wishing him the best!

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I retired after 35 years as a Lineman. The last 25 years were as a Serviceman, or some would call it a Troubleshooter. Like Coobie said, lots of overtime, lots of work in bad weather, lots of missed holidays with the family. But it paid well and the extra OT made for a decent retirement.

Companies that offer pensions are getting fewer and fewer but there are still some out there. Look at your Co-ops and bigger utility companies. They usually have a better pay scale, better equipment and better benefits. But as more companies are using contractors, contractors are getting better to work for.

Its not for everybody. I loved it but some can't handle it. I looked at every callout as an adventure. I also worked in the rural which can be a lot different than working in the city. For the most part my customers were my friends.

lightman
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have a good bud that is a lineman. He is a instructor and gets paid well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For the county???

... and I drive the main road...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
For the county???

... and I drive the main road...

One of my favorite Glenn Campbell songs!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not in that myself, but know several that are working for our local coops or have recently retired. Seems that very few that get on ever quit. One might have to start in a less desirable locale, but with patience one can end up where he wishes. Looking at their life styles ( family, good rigs, nice home, boats and other toys), I assume they do better than average $$$ for this area. In our remote regions and smaller communities furnished housing can be one of the perks.

Wish my kid would go that route, as he's pretty much a lost sheep stuck doing entry level stuff.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/29/20.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pulling guard and nose tackle - 1975-77

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Morewood
Pulling guard and nose tackle - 1975-77
Really ? stupid chit.Stay on topic..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a forum. Lighten up.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Morewood
It's a forum. Lighten up.

Ya its a forum which gives you the right make stupid chit comments.I get it now.Laffin.. Are a BLM Member also?

Last edited by coobie; 07/30/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,996 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.