Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Unless they are rutting or have been living in mostly sagebrush country I can tell little difference between them and whitetail. If anything the muleys are a bit more flavorful.

We shoot both in Eastern Oregon near the Wallowa valley. They mingle heavily.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The desert Mule deer here in Texas are some of the best game meat I have eaten, I like it as much as I do Axis deer. The lechaguilla and sotol diet produces an almost grass fed beef flavor although I can tell it is venison.

Rutty bucks or ones that have been eating sage brush benefit from not only the aging but also from brining the meat. An acidic marinade helps or just putting some white vinegar in with the brine will kill any off odors usually. If this doesn't do it then it is jerky and sausage time.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Pre-rut anything is generally good, but other factors, as said, are involved.. I prefer mule deer meat to elk, myself. Haven't eaten much of either, tho.

I try to avoid killing for meat in active rut. Except female critters. Some folks can't seem to manage to kill anything male that isn't rut crazed tho...... smile

Meat can, in any species, be the good, the bad, and the ugly, depending on a number of factors.

I don't want to talk about my last two, too-close-to-the-rut moose (one on each side of the rut - dog ate well tho).....We ate too, but it definately wasn't "good". Closer to the "I killed it, gotta choke it down, with the living hell spiced out of it".

On the flip side, one of the best moose I've eaten came in all wall eyed and blowing snot, neck swollen, pink tongued, stomach empty....Sept 13, well before active rut starts around the 25th.. But then he had effed up antlers on one side - probably either testicular damage or horn bud damage, so that may have had something to do with his pre-rut rutting status.

The last time I'd seen him was 4 years before, at which time he had a fair, but sub-legal (if matched) antler on one side, and about a 20 inch spike on the other. Said spike actually made him legal (slot regs) , but he didn't show me the spike side until he was stepping into the brush, too late to shoot. When I killed him, on the damaged side, all he had for brow tine was, a 3 inch diameter , 5 inch long lump of antler material hanging down where that brow tine should have been, and negligible 1/4" points on the palm. Had he had antlers balance to the good side, he would have had a 59" spread. As it was, he went about 51" IIRC.

Two 2 or 3 year old bull moose that I have killed were "tangy" - and they were both killed several weeks before the rut. I have a theory, perhaps unfounded, that some "teenage" bulls, like humans, have their hormones AFU, until they get a little older.

I seem to keep killing culls.....but most of them eat fine. smile

All this is to point out that when you pull the trigger, you take your chances. Every critter is an individual. Work the odds.

Good luck.

Last edited by las; 07/28/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
One w year got a mulie here in CO and three whitetail in KS. FIL was going on about WTs being the better table fare and invited him and other relatives for a grilled meat day. Put a slice of each along with some elk on his plate and MR Epicurean couldn't tell the difference. Take care of the meat right and it is all good.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i won't digress from mule deer. most mulie meat i have had was great. one was like veal.
two were like boot leather soaked in formaldehyde with skunk sauce. that was only two out of maybe 35.
almost the same with black tail....oops! i digressed blush
oh well! since i have sinned , never had a bad whitetail........... except that gal in 1966!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in southwestern Michigan and my wife and I prefer Wyoming mule deer to Michigan white tails.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two years ago, I shot two mule deer and three white tail. I could not tell the difference in taste - all good. The mule deer were in Wyoming - grass fed, the white tail - one was in the Black Hills, one was western South Dakota in the river breaks and the third was on my place a few miles from Minnesota.

True rut will affect the taste, but the main thing is taking care of the meat.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Big bucks are usually pretty tough and a little gamey but still make decent tacos and sausage. A depredation doe out of a farmers field is wonderful. I think that any male elk, Deer or Antelope that reaches trophy size is going to be less edible.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I like it.

I have both around my place and I shoot them in about equal numbers. The valley around here is as low as 4800 feet and can be a bit over 5500 in some places. When they are eating the same things, I can't tell any difference between whitetail and mule deer.

When I shoot deer at the higher altitudes, say, above 7500 feet, the mule deer are actually better tasting then the white tails. High altitude White tails are pretty rare compared to Mule Deer so most deer shot over 7500 feet are mulies, but I have killed a few WTs too.
However because the numbers are off sides, the comparison may not be 100% valid. To be sure of that I admit I'd have to kill the same number of WTs as Mule Deer and eat them all. Thinking back now, I can only remember and count 5 WhiteTails I have killed over 7000 feet high in my whole life, and the number of mule deer I have killed between 7000 and 10,000 are more then I can easily count.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With one exception, we've been happy with our takes. Scored a larger buck on the Id side of the Snake that was near inedible. Neighbor's dogs really liked me for about a year. Also scored a post rut buck in late Nov that we gave away with out sampling to a family that were sausage fans. That one was exceptionally lean and somewhat bruised.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/29/20.

1Minute
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I shoot and eat a lot of mule deer both rut and pre-rut and have only had one that tasted bad - you could smell him from 50 yards away walking up to him. My observation has been that the meat from rutting bucks typically smells stronger than pre-rut bucks but brining steaks and roasts in cold salt water (or with a little of your favorite seasoning) overnight prior to grilling works very well to neutralize any strong flavors.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was growing up the opinion was whitetail were better eating than mule deer. Most of that thought came from west of the divide where most whitetail hunting was done lower down than mule deer and the food was different for them. People used to say mule deer eat pine needles and that is what gave them the bad flavor. We started hunting east of the divide for mule deer in grain fields. There were very few whitetail. No wild taste no matter when are how old the buck was. I did get one old buck that was in the foothills of the big belts that walked like he was full of arthritis and during the rut that was pretty rank. My wife refused to eat it and said it reminded her of whitetail from northern MN.

I have also shot plenty of mule deer in the breaks and badlands that have no grain fields near by that tasted as good as those grain fed deer.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife and I have killed a bunch of mature mule deer and whitetail bucks over the years, and not just in Montana where we live but various other states and provinces. Have yet to find any universal difference between the flavor of either--or elk. Have served meat from BIG mule deer bucks to guests, who guessed it was elk.

The only really off-flavored mule deer we got was a 5x6 buck my wife killed on November 17th in central Montana. But the big cuts, without much connective tissue, were just fine. The problem was tougher stuff, like stew meat and burger. It tasted fine at first, but after a few months in the freezer started to get a musky taste. So we turned it into sausage, which solved the problem.

About a decade ago my wife killed a mature 3x3 mule deer on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so rutted out it had only tiny traces of fat. We were worried until we ate a test piece, which was as tender and mild-flavored as any buck deer we've ever eaten, of either species. Oh, and it came from sagebrush country.

Have killed a number of big mountain mule deer bucks from New Mexico to Montana, either before or barely into the rut. All have been excellent, including one I got at over 9000 feet in New Mexico a couple years ago. They had a great crop of Gambel oak acorns, and the buck was really fat from eating acorns--and tastes great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a old friend said this the best tasting deer he grew up on were all shot in August before the rutt and before they had sex that year. i ask a Montana butcher who has butchered plenty deer ,elk and domestic animals and he said my old friend was right,the best tasting wild deer and elk that are shot early before the rutt are the best eating. i myself when i do shoot a nasty stinky rutt`in buck i skin the buck,wash the carcass will and hang it in a clean ,cool place for a couple weeks or put the quarters in a large cooler full of ice ,meat always taste better then.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Elmer used to let big bucks in the rut hang for 30 days and age before skinning and eating... He was a meat hunt compared to almost any writer from his time and most of those from today!! I have had only a couple bucks killed late that were gamey , had I followed Elmer’s advice, they may have be better...

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have killed mule deer and elk in northern NM in that timeframe and have preferred the mule deer. The meat has a hint of sweet to it that I prefer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Last year’s buck was a nice mature mule deer specimen taken in November but way closer to the road than normal for me took him to the butcher at 9:00AM. We had the best breakfast sausage we have ever had in over 30 years of me killing & her cooking. Were grind most of my venison & elk because I love the lean burgers. My wife is a gourmet cook and does lots of things with venison but isn’t a huge fan, lately she has been impressed by the quality of the meat (we have gotten faster at cooling it down)

We are lucky to have a big group of hunters who gather for a Wild game pit BBQ so have had whitetail from Virginia and Mississippi and Axis from Hawaii. The pineapple & mango eating Axis is the reigning taste champ but it would be impossible to name #2.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Diet is all important. Years ago my BIL and I got 2 does in a December hunt. It was about 10 degrees and 6" of snow. Whatever they'd been eating, the meat was horrible. it smelled terrible when cooking and even my dog wouldn't eat it. We had to toss it all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
It may depend on the individual animal, feed, rut, care, etc. North Dakota is really fringe muley territory, so there are many on here that have taken and eaten far more than I have. That being said, I have never had a bad one and I have had muley and whitetail backstrap side by side on a plate and could not tell any difference. Good luck on your hunt and have fun.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Been feeding on mulies my whole life. Always enjoyed it. Will put at least on in the freezer this fall.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 73 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.