Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bored tonight........................and 1911's a my sentimental favorite handgun.

So what do you think is the BEST, from a functionality & personal preference standpoint.

Not the best for the money, just the BEST period

No wrong or right answers, just what you like & think is the BEST

Price is no object, & you don't have to be able to afford it, but fancy engravings, color case hardening, etc., are pretty, but not functional, & bring nothing to the party, but if you think it does, then speak up if that's a must have for you

MM

GB1

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I 'd be happy with an AMU-built National Match .45. Tuned to function with 230 grain ball and shoot into 2.5" from a machine rest at 50 yards. A superb 1911 that'll do whatever I need to do. Pretty in a mean sort of way.
Bob

GI 1911A1 built in the FT Benning AMU shop in the 70's

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by RGK; 07/29/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's a classic, right down to the stippling on the frontstrap of the frame.

The AMU has made some astonishingly good 1911's w/o a doubt..............looks like you have one of them.

Not many today can really appreciate those guns..............congrats on having that in your collection.

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This one gave me faith in the platform. A Springfield with an Ed Brown match barrel and everything else changed or tuned I guess. Built by a guy I never got to meet but he turned out some good guns in his short life. He built this for a friend of mine probably 25 or 30 years ago and he never got along with it. It's been the easiest shooting gun I've tried yet. I need to parkerize it but the worn finish looks good to me.

Nowhere near the best out there but it's the best I got.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like customs by Heirloom Precision, Always wanted a Wilson Super Grade made from a Colt.

https://www.heirloomprecision.com/

Couple of my better 1911s. A reissue series 70 that was sent to Colt for a Model O package and a Les Baer UTC.

Last edited by 1911a1; 07/29/20.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Ed Brown gets my vote......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have a custom 1911 commander from Turnbull. Smoothest most accurate handgun I have ever owned.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Bored tonight........................and 1911's a my sentimental favorite handgun.

So what do you think is the BEST, from a functionality & personal preference standpoint.

Not the best for the money, just the BEST period

No wrong or right answers, just what you like & think is the BEST

Price is no object, & you don't have to be able to afford it, but fancy engravings, color case hardening, etc., are pretty, but not functional, & bring nothing to the party, but if you think it does, then speak up if that's a must have for you

MM

My early 1960s Colt Government Model.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I like all the 1911s I have now. The Colt mentioned above, my Ed Brown Kobra Carry, My Springfield Armory stainless Mil Spec with Trijicon HD night sights, My Springfield Armory TRP, and even my Tisas replica of a WWII USGI 1911 A1 made in Turkey.

I guess for "best," one would have to know what you're looking for. Does best mean most accurate from a Ransom Rest? Most reliable under adverse conditions? Highest grade of steel parts? Best trigger break? Best looking? All of the above?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Have a custom 1911 commander from Turnbull. Smoothest most accurate handgun I have ever owned.

I'd like to see a pic if you please.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I like all the 1911s I have now. The Colt mentioned above, my Ed Brown Kobra Carry, My Springfield Armory stainless Mil Spec with Trijicon HD night sights, My Springfield Armory TRP, and even my Tisas replica of a WWII USGI 1911 A1 made in Turkey.

I guess for "best," one would have to know what you're looking for. Does best mean most accurate from a vice rest? Most reliable? Highest grade of steel parts? Best trigger break? Best looking? All of the above?

how about some pics, you have a nice collection of 1911's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RGK
I 'd be happy with an AMU-built National Match .45. Tuned to function with 230 grain ball and shoot into 2.5" from a machine rest at 50 yards. A superb 1911 that'll do whatever I need to do. Pretty in a mean sort of way.
Bob

GI 1911A1 built in the FT Benning AMU shop in the 70's

Sweet!

I know you have a couple more nice 1911s, serve up a pic or two.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 1911a1

I guess for "best," one would have to know what you're looking for. Does best mean most accurate from a vice rest? Most reliable? Highest grade of steel parts? Best trigger break? Best looking? All of the above?

how about some pics, you have a nice collection of 1911's.

Here's the Kobra Carry.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
So far the best I have owned is a Fusion Pro Series 10mm so until I shoot a Baer, Wilson, Night Hawk, Cabot or one from a name custom maker I am going to go with the Fusion for all around shooting and hunting. For EDC I would say a DW CBOB in 10mm

[Linked Image from ]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I guess for "best," one would have to know what you're looking for. Does best mean most accurate from a Ransom Rest? Most reliable under adverse conditions? Highest grade of steel parts? Best trigger break? Best looking? All of the above?

All the above..................but mostly what you like best or would like best if you had it.

All nice stuff here so far; keep it coming.

MM

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ive owned dozens of 1911s over the years, but never had any as fine as the Wilson Super Grade I bought in 1988. The whole pistol operated like liquid glass, smooth, reliable and highly accurate......another one I wish I had held on to?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being friends with several guys in our local "gun show crowd," I've had the opportunity to shoot a bunch of 1911's that I could never afford. Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, etc. Functionally, I can't really say that any one of them had an advantage over the others. Truly, don't you think you reach a point where a 1911 can't get any better?

That said, my buddy, Jimmy, carried a Springfield TRP for awhile that was simply perfect for me. I can't really even explain what it was that made me prefer it. I still wish I'd figured it out as the gun is gone now. I've never owned a Springfield 1911 myself, but that one was pretty much the bees knees for me.

I think when we talk 1911's, they must be single stack, .45 ACP guns. Otherwise you start down a slippery slope and the question becomes, "How much can you stray from the original design before it's not a 1911?" So my favorite from the "DQ List" would be a (don't laugh) Caspian 1911 .38 Super. That came through the local gun show and I got to shoot it one evening. I only got to run a couple mags through it, but wow...nice! It was so plain jane but just silky in every respect.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pacecars
So far the best I have owned is a Fusion Pro Series 10mm so until I shoot a Baer, Wilson, Night Hawk, Cabot or one from a name custom maker I am going to go with the Fusion for all around shooting and hunting. For EDC I would say a DW CBOB in 10mm

[Linked Image from ]

could you give a little info on the sight setup?

Thank you

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Currently, a SA TRP is what I have now, for a factory based pistol, it has everything one could ask for without the custom price tag. As an aside, over on Glock Talk Forum, there is a nice stainless TRP for sale, guy is asking 1K shipped, that just implies thats the most he would take for it?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.