Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Has anybody tried one and how did it work out?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I used to have a Millet red dot on my crossbow, worked nice! gave it to my father, he killed deer with it too, then it got stolen with a bunch of his hunting stuff, while he was in town. Id have another one on, but we have to count the dam points now, so I like a scope that I can see the anlters better, Like a 3 or 4 power with a lighted ret.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm getting ready to try one, a Vortex Sparc 2 on mine. Previously, I have tried replacing the scope with a SeeAll sight, and a Primary Arms 1x prism. Both allowed me to shoot well, but not as quickly and easily as the scope, for different reasons. The Sparc 2 is a very rugged sight and easy to get behind, so I hope it works out, as I'm trying to cut the weight of my bow significantly, as long as I can still make good hits.

The scope works perfectly, BTW, it's just heavy and bulky. Once you set the speed dial, hits are easy. Range, hold,, shoot- dead deer! With any single point sight, I'll have to hold off for range. Not sure how hard that'll be. I'm good to 50 with the scope, though I've never shot at a deer at over 35. If I can do 40 easily with the Sparc, it'll get a try in September.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I looked at the sparc 2, Midway says 7.5 oz. so that would be about 1/3 the weight of the 2x7 Leupold and mounts that
I am using now. Have been Bowhunting for more than 50 years now and my longest shot is 23 yards with most being in the 10 to 15 yard range. I think the red dot should be fine at those ranges.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That must be with the high co-witness mount. Mine goes 6 on the nose with the low.

I also have a concern about shots under low-light conditions. Last year I took a doe right at the end of legal hours. The scope let me aim easily, and watch the lighted nock zip into her. Not sure if the tinted view of the red dot will work. Only way to tell is to try it.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/19/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Okay, the difference in weight between my Excalibur scope, whichever model was their best two years ago, in Burris 30mm Signature mounts, and the Sparc 2 is exactly a pound. The view through the Sparc is a bit constricted compared to the scope, but with both eyes open is still okay. Like most low-mounted red dots, only a bit of adjustment was needed to zero at 20 yards. I went over on the elevation, and it's spot-on at 30, and only about an inch high at 20. I also took a shot at about 12, paced, and again it was only slightly high. Looks like 30 is a good place to be.

It's stinking hot here, 94, and further tests will have to wait a bit. I'm thinking that even at 40, I may only be a hand's width low.

As for handling, the balance is still good, but now holding the bow by the grip with one hand, pointing up at an angle is much easier. Obviously, a lot of stuff that could catch on brush and such is now gone.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
What about the Burris Fastfire that looks even more compact and I assume it works the same way. Any experience with these?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have the original and a FF3. The 3 is better because you can change the battery without taking the top off, but mostly because you can leave the brightness on AUTO or set it manually. Some light conditions can fool AUTO modes, leaving you with the wrong setting. I'll never buy any again without a manual setting.

They're light and compact and reliable. Not sure how much impact they can take. The open design lets you see more around the sides. The cover on the FF3 lets you shoot with it in place. A FF4 is coming soon.

Next up for me to try is a plain old Leupold FXII 2.5. With rings it should only be a couple of ounces heavier than the Sparc 2, the view is better, and no batteries. I have rings on order and in the meantime I'll keep playing with red dots.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I helped a hunting buddy set up one of these:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opticsplanet.com/eotech-xbow-crossbow-red-dot-holo-sight-w-range-assist-crossbow-pattern-reticle.html%3f_iv_amp=1

Pretty easy - the sight comes with a separate “speed wheel” that will match your x-bow speed. Once you know the approximate speed through measuring the drop of the bolt over two known distances - the holdovers are very close.

He’s killed an elk and several deer with it since last year.

We did not pay retail - these EoTechs are on close outs across the web and EBay - you need patience, and do some searching.

We’ve tried the single red dot - it works, but you have to practice regularly - just my experience, YMMV.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Well, after some research I ordered a Sig Sauer romeo5. Will let you guys know what I think after some testing when it gets here.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mounted the FXII 2.5 today. Zeroed at 30. Gonna try some shots at different ranges tomorrow before it gets hot.

View is excellent, much better than the Sparc. Eyepiece is about flush with the end of the rail, so the safety is easy to get to.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tried 20 yards and 40 this morning. About 2 1/2" high at 20, 3 1/2" low at 40. Methinks this sighting will work in the woods.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Sight came in the mail yesterday. Ended up getting the Holosun hs403b instead of the Romeo 5. Sighted in at 10 yards as I am new to these things and I didn't want to lose any arrows. After sight in I shot at 25yards with my back resting against a tree and my elbows on my knees. My last 4 shots had 3 in an inch with 1 an inch to the right. These were shot with Magnus 125 grain black hornets. I think I am going to like this thing. It is much lighter and more compact than the 2x7 Leupold that I was using.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Back to the Sparc now, and am finding I really need mild correction to get a sharp, clean dot. Zeroed at 30, I'm about 7" low at 40. No trouble getting hits, but still think I prefer the view, low-light performance, and multiple aiming points of a scope. Have about five weeks to decide before crunch time.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have the Holosun and now have the Sig Sauer Romeo5 for a backup. After looking at the Sparc on Midway I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the same factory. I am zeroed at 25 and that only puts me about 2" high at 15. One thing I question is the single screw holding the sight to the rail. Do you recommend locktite on those? Since I hunt in thick cover and not over fields or food plots this should be perfect for me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Can't hurt, but I've never had one that was properly tightened come loose. Still, it's worth checking periodically like all fasteners.

Before I put a scope back on, I want to try the FF3, which is about as light as it gets, and has a very thin bezel around the lens, giving a very open view.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.