Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I understand enough about 1911's & diminishing returns that I'm a fan of Baer. Or at least the one I had. Everything or anything that I could recognize was done right on the gun.

Browns are nice as well as Wilsons. But the Brown is generally more money than a Baer & I'm not sure I see the diff. Wilsons are now way more money & see a lot of that for the name. I could be wrong, or just don't recognize the increased quality, but that's just the way I see it. Colt factory pistols don't even enter my thoughts.

I had over a dozen 1911's at one time & decided to thin them out. I kept what I feel are very nice pistols. Dependable, fitted very well & accurate as I am on my best day. A pair of pre series II Kimber Classic stainless LE's. I hear a lot Kimber bashing, & I suppose the bashers have had some lemons. Maybe the newer ones are a disappointment, I don't know. But my 2 make me wonder about the bashers sometimes as I'll put mine up against any in their price range.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Currently, a SA TRP is what I have now, for a factory based pistol, it has everything one could ask for without the custom price tag. As an aside, over on Glock Talk Forum, there is a nice stainless TRP for sale, guy is asking 1K shipped, that just implies thats the most he would take for it?

I've never held let alone shot a TRP but I know a lot of people hold them in high regard, Sort of a less expensive standard production of the Springfield Pro.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by RGK
I 'd be happy with an AMU-built National Match .45. Tuned to function with 230 grain ball and shoot into 2.5" from a machine rest at 50 yards. A superb 1911 that'll do whatever I need to do. Pretty in a mean sort of way.
Bob

GI 1911A1 built in the FT Benning AMU shop in the 70's

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sweet!

I know you have a couple more nice 1911s, serve up a pic or two.

Roger that.
Bob

Colt commercial frame and a GI hard slide, built by former AMU gunsmith Justin McMillan. My go-to competitive service pistol for CMP matches

50 yards, 10 shots, machine rest

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
Being friends with several guys in our local "gun show crowd," I've had the opportunity to shoot a bunch of 1911's that I could never afford. Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, etc. Functionally, I can't really say that any one of them had an advantage over the others. Truly, don't you think you reach a point where a 1911 can't get any better?

That said, my buddy, Jimmy, carried a Springfield TRP for awhile that was simply perfect for me. I can't really even explain what it was that made me prefer it. I still wish I'd figured it out as the gun is gone now. I've never owned a Springfield 1911 myself, but that one was pretty much the bees knees for me.

I think when we talk 1911's, they must be single stack, .45 ACP guns. Otherwise you start down a slippery slope and the question becomes, "How much can you stray from the original design before it's not a 1911?" So my favorite from the "DQ List" would be a (don't laugh) Caspian 1911 .38 Super. That came through the local gun show and I got to shoot it one evening. I only got to run a couple mags through it, but wow...nice! It was so plain jane but just silky in every respect.

Yes, TRP's are an outstanding "off-the-shelf" pistol, in a similar class as Dan Wesson's......................When my son finished grad school, a TRP was his graduation present.

TRP's have a good feel, but personally, I really don't care for 1911's with an added magazine well................just don't quite feel right to me.

And yes, I should have clarified, we are only talking about single stack, 1911's in 45 ACP............the original JB design, obviously with some update.

Thanks for reminding me.

MM

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had Fusion mill the slide for an RMR plate which also fits the Holosun sight. I left the standard front sight on it. If I decide I need an iron sight they have a plate available with one on it. I did it mainly for hunting but always have the option of carrying it too in a Warbird holster

[Linked Image from ]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGK

Roger that.
Bob

Colt commercial frame and a GI hard slide, built by former AMU gunsmith Justin McMillan. My go-to competitive service pistol for CMP matches

50 yards, 10 shots, machine rest

That's a fabulous shooting hardball gun..............that's as good a group as my best ever softball gun would do (1 5/8" for 10 shots w/ Win Super Match).

People can talk about Les Baer & other guns that are "guaranteed" to shoot 1.5", but those are almost all universally qualified to be 3 shot groups, which is still very good.

But as with rifles, pistols that shoot 10 shot groups like that, separate the real deal from the pretenders.

MM

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Turnbull. CanT get it to work in the Gallery but her is an imgur link if anyone can help me.

https://imgur.com/LhaIeK5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hikerbum
My Turnbull. CanT get it to work in the Gallery but her is an imgur link if anyone can help me.

https://imgur.com/LhaIeK5

That's a beauty, hikerbum.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Waders
Being friends with several guys in our local "gun show crowd," I've had the opportunity to shoot a bunch of 1911's that I could never afford. Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, etc. Functionally, I can't really say that any one of them had an advantage over the others. Truly, don't you think you reach a point where a 1911 can't get any better?

That said, my buddy, Jimmy, carried a Springfield TRP for awhile that was simply perfect for me. I can't really even explain what it was that made me prefer it. I still wish I'd figured it out as the gun is gone now. I've never owned a Springfield 1911 myself, but that one was pretty much the bees knees for me.

I think when we talk 1911's, they must be single stack, .45 ACP guns. Otherwise you start down a slippery slope and the question becomes, "How much can you stray from the original design before it's not a 1911?" So my favorite from the "DQ List" would be a (don't laugh) Caspian 1911 .38 Super. That came through the local gun show and I got to shoot it one evening. I only got to run a couple mags through it, but wow...nice! It was so plain jane but just silky in every respect.

Yes, TRP's are an outstanding "off-the-shelf" pistol, in a similar class as Dan Wesson's......................When my son finished grad school, a TRP was his graduation present.

TRP's have a good feel, but personally, I really don't care for 1911's with an added magazine well................just don't quite feel right to me.

And yes, I should have clarified, we are only talking about single stack, 1911's in 45 ACP............the original JB design, obviously with some update.

Thanks for reminding me.

MM

I removed the added mag well from my TRP.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Sweet!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure about the best but I love these 2.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Now you need grips with a beveled bottom......................... grin

MM

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I’m pretty new to the 1911 platform but when I was shopping around I looked at several.

Ended up going with a pair DWs. A guardian in 38 super and a CCO in 45. Both shoot better than I can and look how a 1911 should look in my mind. I couldn’t imagine needing anything more.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
16 sided die

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never shot a 1911 until my 22 yo son wanted to treat himself to one before medical school. He has saved all his pennies since before high school.

He bought a Springfield TRP in the army kote black finish. It is so nice! Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot steel plates at the range.

If I was in the market for one that's what I would get because of the price and quality.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RGK
I 'd be happy with an AMU-built National Match .45. Tuned to function with 230 grain ball and shoot into 2.5" from a machine rest at 50 yards. A superb 1911 that'll do whatever I need to do. Pretty in a mean sort of way.
Bob

GI 1911A1 built in the FT Benning AMU shop in the 70's

I think you won.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So what do you think is the BEST, from a functionality & personal preference standpoint.

So .. I've wanted to like 1911s but I've had trouble shooting them well. Mostly the grip shape is too square, too long, too thin, and the recoil for me is mostly flipping the muzzle to the right a lot and only up a little. The double-stacks are too big for my hand and still too square. The one exception seems to be the Kimber ProCarry. Seems like the grips are just that hair thicker that I need without being too much .. a balance point, in other words.

A few years back .. ok, more than a few .. I was back in Colorado for my daughter's college graduation and we met up with some online friends of mine. After lunch we headed for the range. One of the guys had that Kimber. I didn't really even care to shoot it thinking I knew what would happen, but I got talked into it. I did slow fire at about 5 yards on some plates. Bang, first fell, bang, second fell, a little quicker bang, third fell, and then something "switched on", there were lots of booms and clanks and all the brass was in the air and all the plates were falling. Wow. I didn't know I could do that. I don't have much practical use for a semi-auto handgun, or haven't till this political crap started, but that Kimber Pro Carry fits me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The new Gold Cups are pretty good. Bottom target was shot in a local bullseye match. Pistol is stock.
Bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Now you need grips with a beveled bottom......................... grin

MM

Had a smith bevel it after I removed the well.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Wow. I didn't know I could do that. I don't have much practical use for a semi-auto handgun, or haven't till this political crap started, but that Kimber Pro Carry fits me.

Tom
Nice story TOM.

I was always a dyed in the wool, barrel bushing 1911 guy until I tried a bull barrel Wilson Compact, then I became a fan.

One of my 1911's is a Kimber Pro & it's one of my favorite handguns..............very accurate & with a little TLC, it's 100% reliable.

MM

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Where's Gibby????????????????

MM

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (257 roberts, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.