-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would “accidentally” forget to bring in the heart and liver back when I hunted out of a deer camp. I tend to agree with the old guy I heard when the topic came up when he said,”Dems guts!”. Since then the doc has told me to lay off the organ meat. Works for me.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 44mc
just a question . do ya'll eat the liver & heart out of deer elk bear & prong horn ? i never been out west .

As long as the heart wasn't all fuggered up when I shot the deer I will save it and the liver.

Same w squirrel liver, never tried the hearts.
Woodchuck liver is the best of any I've ever tried and big for such a small animal. Very mild flavored and I've eaten quite a few.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
just a question . do ya'll eat the liver & heart out of deer elk bear & prong horn ? i never been out west .

As long as the heart wasn't all fuggered up when I shot the deer I will save it and the liver.

Same w squirrel liver, never tried the hearts.
Woodchuck liver is the best of any I've ever tried and big for such a small animal. Very mild flavored and I've eaten quite a few.

I love about any liver but tame rabbit liver is the schitt.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Can't say that I've ever tried rabbit or squirrel liver despite having killed and eaten tons of them. Guess the internals always seemed too small to bother with.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

I would rather eat heart and liver as about any other part of a deer or elk. Especially good when cut up and soaked in ice cold saltwater for 24 hours and then chicken fried in camp with fried potatoes and onions. Only thing I could never do liver on was caribou, every one I tried to eat there’d be flukes and worms floating out of it when I soaked them.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gut piles don't spook deer. I shot a buck standing sniffing the still warm gut pile from a buck my brother had just drug back to camp. The one I shot was DRT and literally fell in my brother's gut pile.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to think guts were a bad thing. After several incidents over the decades, they're not a problem for the remaining deer at all. It used to be that after taking a deer, I'd rest that stand for the rest of season. It used to be. . . it used to be a lot of things.

A golden rule of deer hunting that I learned here: The best spot to shoot a deer is close to your pickup truck.

The reason we haul out the majority of our deer before gutting is it is just easy and fast to do so. Mind you, we've got it down to where a deer can be cleaned and out to the processor about 90 minutes after it's shot if all goes well. If we gut in place, it takes longer, but that's buried in the overall project of removing the carcass from the ravine.

The only remaining worry is what is attracted to the gut piles. We started off dumping guts on a wide-open part of a pasture, thinking we'd get a shot at coyotes. That never materialized. We've got coyotes and feral dogs in the vicinity. We've also got two species of vulture. If the guts get exposed out in the open, the vultures are more likely to hit them and clean them out before the dogs do. They're usually efficient and leave nothing but the stomach contents after 24 hours. Gut piles in the woods may sit for a few days before they get found by the dogs.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Can't say that I've ever tried rabbit or squirrel liver despite having killed and eaten tons of them. Guess the internals always seemed too small to bother with.

Not much of a bother since you are already peeling the guts out of em but I see where you are coming from.

We have even tried a few hearts, livers and gizzards from old gobblers, nutz too.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I haven't gutted a deer or elk in many years. Put the animal on its belly, slit the skin from the crown of the head down to the tail, peel off the hide, remove the backstraps and quarters, put the meat into game bags and haul them out by backpack, ATV, game cart or horse. I leave the carcass with the guts inside at the kill site.

This is it. Trickiest part is getting the tenderloins out but after doing a few you learn. I always cut up and process my own deer, elk, antelope. Enjoy it as much as any part of the hunt. Last time I walked into a game processing facility I about threw up. Amazing the [bleep] filthy carcasses that are brought in. Learn to process your own game. Invest in a solid commercial type grinder. You won’t be sorry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PJ65
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I haven't gutted a deer or elk in many years. Put the animal on its belly, slit the skin from the crown of the head down to the tail, peel off the hide, remove the backstraps and quarters, put the meat into game bags and haul them out by backpack, ATV, game cart or horse. I leave the carcass with the guts inside at the kill site.

This is it. Trickiest part is getting the tenderloins out but after doing a few you learn. I always cut up and process my own deer, elk, antelope. Enjoy it as much as any part of the hunt. Last time I walked into a game processing facility I about threw up. Amazing the [bleep] filthy carcasses that are brought in. Learn to process your own game. Invest in a solid commercial type grinder. You won’t be sorry

How do you guys get the tenderloins out doing the no-gut method?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've shot deer while gutting deer...

Makes a bloody mess on the gun though.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
To remove tenderloins stick your fingers into the cavity behind short ribs . Carefully separate the loin and carefully use a short knife to sever the ends where it connects. Easy. Takes a little practice

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wouldn't wait to take out internal organs, the heart and liver removed and taken. Then I will strip the loins and tender loins etc. I usually look over the liver if the animal is in poorer shape. What is the point of the gutless method anyway?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It’s Clean. Removes all usable meat. Meat cools quickly and stays clean after placing in game bags. Quarters ready to put in pack or if early season ready for cooler and ice. Usually hunt miles from truck in steep terrain. Dragging isn’t much of an option especially by yourself. Back at home meat is ready to process

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I gut em where they fall. Gut piles don't scare deer. Have shot several that were sniffing a fresh gut pile.

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I always take the heart. No exceptions. The liver on the other hand........
On the rare occasion that I do gut a critter (as opposed to gutless quartering) I get the liver, wind up and disc throw that nasty thing as far away from me as possible. It's my tradition.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just say no to gizzards and such....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Where I hunt it might be several miles back to the road/truck. I want to get rid of the weight. Gut it where it falls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gut 'em on the spot.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Judman
For the record, I never carry a knife on my belt, never have, they always reside in my pack. Hardly wear a belt, suspenders all the time

Ditto

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.