Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gjs4 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi guys.

I dropped a Remington sendero 700 off at a gunsmith this afternoon to have the factory barrel (which started to group poorly) for another (exact) factory barrel.

I asked what it would cost and he said it should take more than 2-3 hours (@$75hr). Don’t know the guy, his reviews were good and the usual channels are booked solid with the doomsday hoarding- but I was shocked. Watching some YouTube videos and reading forums i figured it was an hour job w proper head spacing.

Any thoughts or contributions on what kind of effort or cost would be appreciated...

BP-B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I charged a bit more than that when threading and chambering from a blank! Which involves a whole lot more effort.

That said, just cuz it's a factory barrel doesn't necessarily mean it will screw right on. I can see two hours to disassemble, take off the old barrel, clean, measure, adjust on the lathe as required to set headspace and possibly even setup and chamber if headspace is short. Oh, yeah, and drink some coffee, can't headspace properly without it. More than 2 hours, not unless he includes the trips to the bathroom from drinking all the coffee!

Not picking on you, but I love how folks don't balk at a plumber coming out and charging $200 just to tell you the sink is backed up but don't want to spend the same to have a 60,000 psi pressure vessel installed that ends up inches away from their face when in use.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a custom barrel installed recently on a Rem 700. Believe the labor was about $175. That included cutting chamber and crowning, as it was a Blank.

Last edited by dale06; 07/30/20.

NRA Patron
G
Gjs4 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I genuinely do/did not know that’s why I asked. I would only call a plumber if I can’t do it myself- and the boom factor is why I didn’t start buying the stuff to try. Guided hunts are so not my thing- that being said I’ll be using a guide for elk because losing weeks, dollars and maybe myself aren’t worth it on the first one.

Legit thought it was pretty close to unscrew-rescrew with some
Measurements for verification. Now knowing that the internet research results found have lead me a touch astray- I should’ve put a premium barrel on it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want the barrel to be "timed", putting the barrel roll stamps and sights, if there are sights installed, where they are intended to be, that will almost always cost more money 'cause it will take more time.

If you don't care where the roll stamps and sights, if there are sights installed, end up, a Remington 700 series barrel will almosts alway headspace correctly without any machine work. Or at least that has been my experience when installing them and I've removed and installed dozens of Remington 700 series barrels for myself and a few special friends.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cost me $80 to have done, including cutting 3 inches off the barrel and crown.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RemModel8
Cost me $80 to have done, including cutting 3 inches off the barrel and crown.

Lol, cost depends a lot on who you use and where they are located.

Shop around, get references. Not all are created equal. just cuz you pay a lot doesn't mean the job is good, conversely, not all inexpensive jobs are bad.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Could be a quick swap and headspace could end up perfect, or it could be a setup, recut job.

Option A I’d charge $50, option B would be a minimum of $150. Fun part is you don’t know until you try it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
And IMO if you’re paying anything for a barrel, and installation it’s always worth upgrading to a high quality barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swapping out the factory barrel on my Model 7 with a barrel from an 700 SPS cost me $145

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Most smiths in my area average $275 to rebarrel from a blank, less if they are just fitting a pre-chambered barrel.

Just screwing on another remy factory barrel should be cheaper, but if your are paying 200 bucks already on labor, it might be worth getting a better barrel ...

I grew up in Western NY... smile

things people tend not to think about that impact cost
Blueing or Cerakote costs, engraving the barrel with the cartridge cost - people are charging a arm and a leg for blueing these days.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 07/31/20.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Years ago I bought a 700TI takeoff from David Walter for around $100. It screwed right on to my 725, with near perfect headspace. Lapping the lugs brought it in perfectly at minimal. Total time, including lapping was about an hour, not counting re-bedding the barrel channel with Accraglas for better fit, factory bbl being a bit fatter. That may or may not be needed in replacing "identical" barrels. My labor was "free" to me, and I had the tools already. Would not be to you

The stamping on my 725 is somewhere down in the barrel channel, but IDGAF, the gun is MOA as is. But only with one bullet weight. Finicky! To get the stamping back up where it "belongs" would involve using a lathe (which I have, but not currently set up - it was at the time) to set the shoulder back, extending the threading or relief cut, and then the reamer and gauges.

2-3 hours or a bit more to do it "right" if there is any serious fitting to do is not unreasonable. And if he is worth his salt, he gave you an outside estimate. It's always nice to please a customer with a lesser bill.

Keep in mind there are also tools involved, - headspace gauges, reamer, barrel vises and wrenches, recoil lug holder, measuring instruments , lathe etc.

Those need to be amortized over time also.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You would be lucky to get the work done for $200.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
2-3 hours is normal, not as easy when done correctly with lettering in correct position, headspace adjusted. I would say you are going to get a quality job from someone that knows what they are doing.
Often, a tad bit has to be taken off the shoulder or a reamer ran in a few .001.

It never hurts to have a quality craftsman look your action and barrel over, often huge issues are discovered in advance.

Keith

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
6 years back I had the worn out barrel on my 700 ADL replaced with a new unfired take off barrel ($50) the smith timed it and it was $100 CASH. It shoots very well indeed. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Gjs4 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you all for the replies, opinions and advice. Obviously I’m hoping for the great accuracy and low cost outcome, the smiths reviews were great and even claimed to charge less hours than spent. Guess we’ll see.

Sad thing is I’m probably just selling the gun and felt the new barrel was just a way to do the gun more justice and who wants to buy a gun with degraded accuracy?

No sights, finish needed and couldn’t care less about where the labeling ends up. I don’t think it was that straight on the original to be honest. I like good karma as much as fine guns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.