Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
CBS News

A U.S. Army sergeant says he's the person who shot and killed a Black Lives Matter protester in downtown Austin, Texas Saturday night and he did it in self-defense, according to the law firm representing him. The disclosure comes as Austin police seek the public's help to learn more about the events that led to the shooting. No one has been arrested or charged in connection with it.

What's clear is that 27-year-old Garrett Foster was shot by a motorist who had just turned onto the avenue where the demonstration was being held.

Police said Sunday they'd received a 911 call from someone saying they'd shot someone at the protest who'd approached their vehicle and pointed a rifle at them. In Texas, it's legal to carry a weapon in public without a permit as long as it isn't done in a "manner calculated to alarm."

Police said they brought that person in for questioning, along with another person who claimed he or she had fired back at the vehicle as it drove away.

Attorney Clint Broden, of Dallas-based Broden, Mickelsen, LLP, said late Thursday night that Sergeant Daniel Perry, an eight-year veteran, was in Austin driving for a ride-share company when he turned onto Congress Avenue and "encountered a throng of people in the street." Perry didn't know about the protest, Broden said.

a man wearing a uniform: U.S. Army Sergeant Daniel Perry in undated photo / Credit: Broden, Mickelsen, LLP© Provided by CBS News U.S. Army Sergeant Daniel Perry in undated photo / Credit: Broden, Mickelsen, LLP
After Perry made the turn, "several people started beating on his vehicle," Broden asserts.

At that point, according to Broden, someone carrying an assault rifle "quickly approached the car and then motioned with the assault rifle for Mr. Perry to lower his window. Sgt. Perry initially believed the person was associated with law enforcement and complied with the command. After rolling down the window, it became apparent to Sgt. Perry that the individual with the assault rifle was not with law enforcement.

"It has now been confirmed by several witnesses that this individual with the assault rifle then began to raise the assault rifle toward Sgt. Perry. It was only then that Sgt. Perry, who carried a handgun in his car for his own protection while driving strangers in the ride share program, fired on the person to protect his own life.

"Immediately after Sgt. Perry fired on the individual who raised the assault rifle toward him, a member of the crowd began firing on Sgt. Perry's vehicle. Sgt. Perry drove to safety and immediately called the police. He waited for the police to arrive and fully cooperated with the police following the shooting and he continues to do so."

" … Sgt. Perry and his family deeply sympathize with the loss and grief being experienced by Mr. Foster's family. Sgt. Perry is devastated by what happened."

a close up of a man and a woman smiling for the camera: Garrett Foster and his fiancee in undated photo. / Credit: KEYE-TV/Facebook/GoFundMe© Provided by CBS News Garrett Foster and his fiancee in undated photo. / Credit: KEYE-TV/Facebook/GoFundMe
But James Sasinowski, who was among the demonstrators, told Chris Cuomo on CNN Monday night that, "The thing I want to make extremely clear … (is that) the driver intentionally and aggressively accelerated their vehicle into a crowd of people. That is extremely clear. … He incited the violence. Period."

Independent journalist Hiram Gilberto Garcia said he interviewed Foster in a video on Periscope prior to the shooting. During the interview, Foster said he was carrying an AK-47.

"They don't let us march in the streets anymore, so I've got to practice some of my rights," he said. He said he didn't think he would use it, because "if I use it against the cops, I'm dead." He said he didn't think the people who "hate us" would shoot at them.

His mother told The Dallas Morning News her son had been bringing a gun to the protests, which he'd been attending with his fiancee, who is a quadruple amputee. In the Periscope video, the fiancee said they'd been protesting "for a month and a half."

CBS Austin affiliate KEYE-TV says Austin police are now asking anyone with relevant information on the shooting, including original video footage or images, to come forward.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The LEFT is crazy, and more of this is going to happen unless they stop with the stupid VIOLENT protests. They can't block traffic without a permit, and they can't point guns at people, or they may get shot.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sgt. Perry is just dang lucky the person he had to kill wasn't a negro.

Life is good live it while you can.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
"They don't let us march in the streets anymore, so I've got to practice some of my rights," he said. He said he didn't think he would use it, because "if I use it against the cops, I'm dead." He said he didn't think the people who "hate us" would shoot at them.

He didn't use it against cops, he used it against what he thought was an easy target. His target was a United States Army sergeant who defended himself.

Thank you for your service Sergeant Daniel Perry.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This guy needs a go fund me page. You know, like a lottery prize.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
WTF The dead guy has been protesting for a month and a half???

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mike_S

This phrase has never been more appropriate.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
The LEFT is crazy, and more of this is going to happen unless they stop with the stupid VIOLENT protests. They can't block traffic without a permit, and they can't point guns at people, or they may get shot.

They WILL shoot you.

They will shoot you if you stop because you are surrounded and attacked.

They will shoot you if you don't stop.

Here's June footage of a BLM protest (Riot) in Provo Utah...

If I find myself in this situation, I will deploy my Ranch Hand front end protection, and any firearm at hand. But I ain't stopping.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
More MSM massaging the news to fit their narrative:

“They don't let us march in the streets anymore, so I've got to practice some of my rights," he said. He said he didn't think he would use it, because "if I use it against the cops, I'm dead." He said he didn't think the people who "hate us" would shoot at them.

What he actually said - context matters:

"I mean, if I use it against the cops, I'm dead, and I think all the people that hate us and want to say [bleep] to us are too big of pussies to stop and actually do anything about it," Foster said.”

They’re his words. Why wouldn’t CBS report them as said, instead of leaving the most inflammatory part out?

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Exactly

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Point a gun at an unprovoked person, civilian or LE, and don't be shocked if they draw and shoot you down. Stand in the street, which is made for auto travel, to beat on vehicles, and don't be surprised if you get crunched.

Isn't this akin to "don't play in the highway", "don't pick a fight you can't win", and "don't play with fire or you might get burned"? This is 1st grade stuff.......... Jeez

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Sgt. Perry is just dang lucky the person he had to kill wasn't a negro.

No schitt, he would already be on his way to the execution chamber, no trial, no jury.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Their go-to move is to surround and terrorize a vehicle, stand in front of it, and then act like victims when the driver flees.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
More MSM massaging the news to fit their narrative:

“They don't let us march in the streets anymore, so I've got to practice some of my rights," he said. He said he didn't think he would use it, because "if I use it against the cops, I'm dead." He said he didn't think the people who "hate us" would shoot at them.

What he actually said - context matters:

"I mean, if I use it against the cops, I'm dead, and I think all the people that hate us and want to say [bleep] to us are too big of pussies to stop and actually do anything about it," Foster said.”

They’re his words. Why wouldn’t CBS report them as said, instead of leaving the most inflammatory part out?

^^^^^^
this

but I think we all know why

Apparently Sgt. Perry ain’t no pussie

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, the only appropriate response that I can come up with is; "Thank you for your service, Sgt Perry, from the bottom of my heart, thank you."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wait.
So he claimed to be carrying around an AK.
A's are fully automatic right?
SKS is the semi-automatic variant.

So he is carrying around a Class III, and pointing at people..
When did Austin turn into Iran?

Did he have a Class III stamp with him?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whenever some mass shooting goes down, the MSM is always DEMANDING to know where the gun came from, etc. Who did the dead ass hole get his gun from and how? I've been hearing stories about the Chinese supplying AK's to the protestors and it would explain how some unemployed idiot suddenly came up with the money for a relatively high-priced weapon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
@ 1:37, dude has a knife ready to use.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They say you cannot fix stupid. methinks Mr. Foster's stupid was fixed. Permanently!.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,087 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.