Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's another thing I changed right away when I got my TRP. I took out the full length guide rod and replaced it with a standard GI set up.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Ky221
I’m pretty new to the 1911 platform but when I was shopping around I looked at several.

Ended up going with a pair DWs. A guardian in 38 super and a CCO in 45. Both shoot better than I can and look how a 1911 should look in my mind. I couldn’t imagine needing anything more.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
16 sided die

Nice, the 38 super has always tempted me.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's my late 1990s, Armory Kote (black Teflon), TRP. This was back when Springfield actually custom tuned each and every TRP before they left the factory. Excellent handgun. Never a single malfunction. Sweet trigger.

[Linked Image]

When I got this, you had to actually contact Springfield Armory, speak to an agent, and custom order them, then wait several weeks or months (can't recall how long I had to wait) for delivery to your FFL. As I recall, the price was $1,200.00 then. They were semi-custom at that time, and there was a waiting list. Not sure to what extent the current ones are still considered semi-custom.

When I ordered this, I don't even think they had the FBI contract yet for the hand-built versions they produced for them, but I could be mistaken. At any rate, I heard nothing at all about a fully custom version being made for the FBI till a couple years after I got my TRP.

It was actually my EDC for a few years, back in the middle 2,000s. Despite being daily carried for that long in a leather holster, and deholstered/reholstered several times a day, you can see it still has almost all its original Armory Kote finish. Very tough treatment.

The Novak night sights it came with are essentially dead now, and need replacing (or just to have the Tritium tubes switched out with fresh ones).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by hikerbum
My Turnbull. CanT get it to work in the Gallery but her is an imgur link if anyone can help me.

https://imgur.com/LhaIeK5

That's a beauty, hikerbum.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is beautiful !

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by 1911a1
My Turnbull. CanT get it to work in the Gallery but her is an imgur link if anyone can help me.

That is beautiful !

It shoots even better than it looks. Turnbull does great work. Put it up against any other custom 1911 anytime

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

That is beautiful !

Turnbull does fabulous work at a very expensive $$$.
Friend had them restore a Colt revolver & it's absolutely gorgeous.............for around $7,500.

MM

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I can't decide which one. Still trying to decide. I am up to 56 of the damn things.

IF I had to get rid of all but one , I would keep a Wilson Combat.

But, I would cry before doing so.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby
I can't decide which one. Still trying to decide. I am up to 56 of the damn things.

IF I had to get rid of all but one , I would keep a Wilson Combat.

But, I would cry before doing so.

You'd probably do a lot more than just cry, I know I would...............I sure as hell don't have 56, but I do have double digit numbers & all things considered, if I could only keep one, it would be one of my Wilson's as well.

MM

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

That is beautiful !

without knowing what exact;y they did for your friend it’s hard to say if it’s a lot of $$. There quality is second to none.

Turnbull does fabulous work at a very expensive $$$.
Friend had them restore a Colt revolver & it's absolutely gorgeous.............for around $7,500.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Here's my late 1990s, Armory Kote (black Teflon), TRP. This was back when Springfield actually custom tuned each and every TRP before they left the factory. Excellent handgun. Never a single malfunction. Sweet trigger.

[Linked Image]

When I got this, you had to actually contact Springfield Armory, speak to an agent, and custom order them, then wait several weeks or months (can't recall how long I had to wait) for delivery to your FFL. As I recall, the price was $1,200.00 then. They were semi-custom at that time, and there was a waiting list. Not sure to what extent the current ones are still considered semi-custom.

When I ordered this, I don't even think they had the FBI contract yet for the hand-built versions they produced for them, but I could be mistaken. At any rate, I heard nothing at all about a fully custom version being made for the FBI till a couple years after I got my TRP.

It was actually my EDC for a few years, back in the middle 2,000s. Despite being daily carried for that long in a leather holster, and deholstered/reholstered several times a day, you can see it still has almost all its original Armory Kote finish. Very tough treatment.

The Novak night sights it came with are essentially dead now, and need replacing (or just to have the Tritium tubes switched out with fresh ones).

I believe Hilton Yam advocates these pistols, He has some strong opinions on combat/defence handguns.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
After thinking about it some more, and this may be blasphemy to the die-hards, the best 1911 I have fired is not really a 1911 but it is my Wilson EDC-X9

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me.......Commander slide on an Alloy Officers Frame built by Tim Brian
It’s an early build. But the one I feel best about.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Years ago a Bud had a Wilson Combat, he dropped it off at my place when he left the country for work, i had and shot the pistol for about six months, a real crown jewel, I now have a Baer, if any 1911's are better, I don't have the talent [skill] to realize it, damn great pistols.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/411559135/kimber+2020+shot+show+custom+lw+%28oi%29+45acp+8%2b1

I bought this one from Bud's a couple of months ago... best 1911 platform I have used. Surprisingly light and shoots lights out with the red dot. It is so good that I sold 3 other 1911's that I didn't use since this is now my EDC

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
This Series 70 Combat Commander is the best 1911 I have owned. The pistol was built by Robert Wilson back in the nineties. The finish is hard chrome.

Sam......

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Most anything in .38 Super.... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang RJM, you have some tack driving Supers!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang RJM, you have some tack driving Supers!

A museum of them!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They are TackDrivers....

This is the one pictured above. It is a 1969 SUPER .38 that was modified by Dave Walters of Dallas, Texas. First groups with the stock gun were 3'...that is FEET...at 50 yards... New BarSto barrel, BoMar sights and long trigger and the next group with the same box of ammo was 3"...

This is 9 or 10 rounds at 50' two handed standing...gun helped me win a bunch of LE trophies...

[Linked Image]

70s vintage Combat Commander...

[Linked Image]

1952 Commander I carried from 1980 till 2007...10 rounds at 10 yards standing...

[Linked Image]

Marine Corps Course of Fire...

[Linked Image]

TALO Commander...10 rounds at 7 yards...the holes in the forehead are .22s...

[Linked Image]

Much easier round to shoot than a .45 and for whatever reason more accurate than 9mms from the same guns...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice guns, all, RJM..................but if you could only have one, which one would it be?

MM

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
626 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.