Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Was checking CCI MiniMag HPs at 50 yards after a 25 yard zero and got this five shot group. I suppose it figures, what with the rigidity of the barrel setup. Anyone experience similar results?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a very nice group for a 24, is it one of a kind or will it do it consistently. Having owned a 24 in 223/20ga I was unimpressed with the 24, killed a few coyotes with it but it was not very handy for the job. I do like that your selector is on the frame and not the hammer. That one looks like it would be a very handy trapline gun, 22 LR to finish critters and the shotgun barrel to put meat in the pot.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Erich,

That particular lot of MiniMag HPs produced a very similar 50 yard group out of a mostly stock 10/22 that same day, just before this one, so I put the remainder of that ammo away. With this 24, other lots of MinMag HPs consistently produce 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards, depending on how I’m doing. On lowest power, that Leupold 1-4x20 scope allowed for some trap shooting success, as well. This trusty 24 rests by the back door, waiting to deal with pesky varmints.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned a few Savage 24s, some so old that they didn't come with serial numbers, in both rimfire and centerfire, .410 and 20 gauge, configurations.

The rimfires have generally shot better groups than the centerfires, even more so when the barrels get a little warm. I have, or had, a 24V in 222/20 that would consistently put the first shot from a cold rifle barrel dead center in the bullseye, but would sent all subsequent about 6" away, always in random directions, so you couldn't anticipate the change and aim accordingly.

I have a 24 in 22M/410 that I really like to carry while woods loafing. It even shoots OK with .22 LR ammo if I use one of MCACE's chamber inserts. A .410 with Brenneke slugs is probably adequate for animals up to 80 lbs. and more accurate in anything that I've shot them in than any with Foster style slugs. I weigh a lot more than 80 lbs. and wouldn't want to get shot with a Brenneke slug from a .410.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Erich,

I found the photo of the sighting-in target shot at 25 yards (standing-supported) the month prior, using ammo from that same magic box of MiniMag HPs:

The trouble with saving what remains of that exceptional box of ammo, is that one cannot have his cake and eat it too. So, some calm morning I’m gonna hafta just shoot it up and hopefully enjoy the results.

I really don’t need quite that exceptional level of precision for back yard rodents, ‘possums and skunks. The neighborhood coyote rarely shows himself inside 100 yards for more than a brief glimpse.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
.22 LR seems a little light for coyotes even under 100 yards.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Right you are, 260Remguy. There are much better tools at hand for that task. But at short range, a .22LR through an eye or into a ear hole will certainly do the job in a pinch.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've owned a few Savage 24s, some so old that they didn't come with serial numbers, in both rimfire and centerfire, .410 and 20 gauge, configurations.

The rimfires have generally shot better groups than the centerfires, even more so when the barrels get a little warm. I have, or had, a 24V in 222/20 that would consistently put the first shot from a cold rifle barrel dead center in the bullseye, but would sent all subsequent about 6" away, always in random directions, so you couldn't anticipate the change and aim accordingly.

I have a 24 in 22M/410 that I really like to carry while woods loafing. It even shoots OK with .22 LR ammo if I use one of MCACE's chamber inserts. A .410 with Brenneke slugs is probably adequate for animals up to 80 lbs. and more accurate in anything that I've shot them in than any with Foster style slugs. I weigh a lot more than 80 lbs. and wouldn't want to get shot with a Brenneke slug from a .410.

Combination guns walk as they get warm. It's just a fact.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a Mod. 24 in .22lr/.410 and it has consistently had similar accuracy for the many years I have owned it. I bought it used, it has no serial number so no clue how old it is but I could not be happier.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by windridge

True, at least for those whose barrels are fixed to each other, but a decent one should give you at least a couple of shots close together, and even the third not far away. Usually the walk is pretty predictable too. If I had a combo which put the second shot 6" away from the first, in some random direction, I'd soon be rid of it.

IC B3

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
FSJeeper,

This might help you find the age of your 24:

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"I have a Mod. 24 in .22lr/.410 " So do I . Have used it as a camp gun and to pass the time in deer camp when the hunting was slow. Have not shot it in several years.

My other Savage 24 is my Turkey gun - .22 Hornet over 12 ga and the Hornet does kill coyotes and wild turkey and such with ease.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks
Originally Posted by Exchipy
FSJeeper,

This might help you find the age of your 24:

Thanks!

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Changed over to an UltraDot:

The precision of this Savage 24 continues to impress, even with a red dot sight.

P
P
ExChipy, what rings are you using on this set up please?

Thanks kindly

Jim

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by windridge

True, at least for those whose barrels are fixed to each other, but a decent one should give you at least a couple of shots close together, and even the third not far away. Usually the walk is pretty predictable too. If I had a combo which put the second shot 6" away from the first, in some random direction, I'd soon be rid of it.

You Bet! wink

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by peddler348
ExChipy, what rings are you using on this set up please?

Thanks kindly

Jim

Those pictured above are a pair of decades-old Weaver .22 tip-off rings. Of my available choices, they were the only ones which could clear the barrel curve to clamp solidly into the narrowly spaced groves. The front ring butts solidly against the elevation insert in the rear sight in order to prevent the optic slipping forward during recoil.

The enlargement is pretty fuzzy, but it gives the idea.

The 1” Weaver rings limited my red dot sight choice to the UntraDot UD25B, with its 1” tube. Not much field of view, but good enough.

Of course, this entire exercise is only possible with those Model 24s which have scope grooves in the rimfire barrel.

P
P
thank you kindly
jim

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My experience with a .410/.22WRM pretty much parallels 260Remguy's. It''ll hit a California ground squirrel, about as big as an Eastern gray, every time under 70 yards with the .22 barrel and put a Brennecke "Magnum" .410 slug into a 3" circle every time at about 35 yards. And the good thing about that is that the hold with the slugs is just a little bit off of the .22s, so it doesn't take much "Kentucky windage" with the same scope setting. The American "Foster-type" slugs are nowhere near that same hold.

I haven't noticed a wandering zero on my 24, but I only use it for small game and pests and don't shoot it enough (or FAST enough!) to warm the barrel up much. I mounted a Leupold 2.5X "Light Rifle" scope on it, and it's been just about right. I don't shoot it with shot much, but can track a cottontail with the scope fine.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have owned several of the 24's and found the early ones with the bbl's together were the most accurate. I had several 22/410's and a few 22 mag/410 and the Magnum always shot better than the lr-- sad part was unless U shot the Squirrel's in the head bout the only thing U had left was Squirrel SOUP

Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,774 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.