Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
https://mustreadalaska.com/plane-crash-cub-involved-was-registered-to-rep-gary-knopp/

Kenai lawmaker among those killed in midair collision over Kenai Peninsula
Aviation
Kenai lawmaker among those killed in midair collision over Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula
pencil Author: Zaz Hollander, James Brooks clock Updated: 2 minutes ago calendar Published 1 hour ago

Increase Article Font Size
Decrease Article Font Size
An Alaska legislator is among the dead after two aircraft collided in midair Friday morning near Soldotna’s airport on Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula, authorities say.

A single-engine de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver and a twin-engine Piper Aztec were involved in the crash approximately two miles northeast of the airport at 8:30 a.m., according to a statement from the Federal Aviation Administration.

The death of Rep. Gary Knopp, a Republican, was confirmed by several of his legislative colleagues.

Rep. Gary Knopp, R-Kenai, speaks at breakfast event hosted by the Kenai and Soldotna chambers of commerce on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019 in Kenai. (Photo by Elizabeth Earl/For the Alaska Journal of Commerce)
Rep. Gary Knopp, R-Kenai, speaks at breakfast event hosted by the Kenai and Soldotna chambers of commerce on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019 in Kenai. (Photo by Elizabeth Earl/For the Alaska Journal of Commerce)
Knopp’s wife, Helen, said he had been flying his own plane Friday morning.

Reached by phone after the crash but before Knopp’s death had been confirmed, she said she was waiting to hear that he was safe.

”I’m as anxious as anybody else waiting for him to touch down,” she said. She did not answer her phone after word of Knopp’s death was announced.

Born in Whitefish, Montana, Knopp was a certified flight instructor and registered pilot. He was elected to the Alaska Legislature in 2016 after serving on the Kenai Borough Assembly. He was a candidate in this year’s Republican primary for House District 30, and his name will remain on the ballot.

The number of people on board the two aircraft was not immediately available.

Investigators from FAA and National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the crash.

The wreckage fell near the Sterling Highway, according to NTSB Alaska chief Clint Johnson. The highway was briefly closed before reopening by 10 a.m., according to the Alaska State Troopers.

There was no additional information immediately available.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
And another Beaver is removed from the pool...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is it just me, or has it been an awful year for that sort of mishap?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I think the actual numbers are down a bit because people were not getting out that much?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ah. Last summer seems like his summer.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That sucks.

Yeah, last summer was really bad. Turns out tourism costs lives, so we are working on banning it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knopp was anything but a Republican and my mom always said "if you don't have anything nice to say you should not say anything" so that being said...........

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Knopp was anything but a Republican and my mom always said "if you don't have anything nice to say you should not say anything" so that being said...........

Yup! Nuff said...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I listen to Dan fa gan every morning just to keep up with back home and I will say I feel f or everybody else in involved

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Heard 7 deceased.
Friggin horrible.
So sad. 😞

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will say that it is amazing that someone did survive that crash. High Adventure Air has a good flying reputation, I wonder what happened?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was the high adventure beaver in involved?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

Yes. Apparently pilot w/ 5 passengers.

Knopp in a Piper Aztec w/ 1 passenger headed to Fbx

Last edited by ironbender; 07/31/20.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender

From what I heard Knopp was solo.
I don’t believe there were any survivors.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image from gray-ktuu-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by ironbender

From what I heard Knopp was solo.
I don’t believe there were any survivors.

That's the thing with updates - they change info.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - A crash involving two aircraft near Soldotna has resulted in the deaths of seven people, Alaska State Troopers said Friday afternoon.

Troopers have identified Rep. Gary Knopp of Kenai as the only occupant of one of the planes. The other plane had six passengers who were identified as 67-year-old Pilot Gregory Bell of Soldotna, 40-year-old David Rogers from Kansas, 26-year-old Caleb Hulsey, 25-year-old Heather Hulsey, 24-year-old Mackay Hulsey and 23-year-old Kirstin Wright all from South Carolina.

Troopers say family has been notified. Troopers say there was debris left on the Sterling Highway near where the crash happened at mile 91.5. The highway was temporarily closed “due to safety concerns.”

Troopers say all occupants of the two planes were reported deceased on the scene with the exception of one person who died on the way to the hospital.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That sure doesn't look like an Aztec... Or a Beaver. I'm guessing Knopp's Cup and the Beaver.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have flown with the High Adventure folks about 8 times. Fine hard working family with what I considered a quality outfit.

Bad deal, and my strongest condolences,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 08/01/20.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Updated: The names of all passengers in the aircraft collision in Soldotna this morning have been released. All seven have died.

Troopers identified Rep. Gary Knopp, age 67, of Kenai, as the sole occupant of one plane. The six decedents from the other aircraft are identified as Pilot Gregory Bell, age 57 of Soldotna; Guide David Rogers, age 40 of Kansas; Caleb Hulsey, age 26, of South Carolina; Heather Hulsey, age 25 of South Carolina; Mackay Hulsey, age 24, of South Carolina; Kirstin Wright, age 23, of South Carolina.

At approximately 8:27 am hours Alaska State Troopers in Soldotna received a report of a plane crash near mile 91.5 of the Sterling Highway.

The majority of the wreckage was located approximately two hundred yards from the road. The crash was reported by multiple witnesses. AST, AWT, Soldotna Police Department, Central EMS, State Parks and FAA all responded to the crash site.

Investigation determined that two planes were involved in a mid-air collision; one plane had a single occupant, Gary Knopp, and the other aircraft had six people onboard.

NTSB has been notified and will be conducting the investigation as to the cause of this crash.

“This is an unfathomable tragedy for multiple families today. The DPS sends a heartfelt condolence to all who lost a loved one in this mid-air collision,” said Commissioner Amanda Price, Department of Public Safety. “Troopers and partner agencies have worked together diligently at the scene and have reached out to next of kin to notify them of this heartbreaking incident.”

Must Read Alaska has confirmed that Rep. Gary Knopp was the pilot of a plane involved in a midair plane crash this morning in Soldotna. Seven souls were lost in the collision.

The governor has released statements of condolences for the families.

Knopp, a representative from District 30, was piloting his own plane. The other was a charter air service “High Adventure Air” based out of Longmere Lake, with several on board.

The planes collided over Mayoni Street, close to mile 91.5 of the Sterling Highway. The highway was closed for a time but is now open and Troopers are on the scene.

Knopp, who represents District 30, reportedly owns a Piper Aztec. The other plane was a Beaver, according to MRAK sources. The parts of the planes were barely visible from Mayoni Street, a dirt road.

Central Peninsula Hospital confirmed one person arrived by ambulance; that person later died.

High Adventure Air has an excellent reputation for communicating their location and intentions for air traffic. Their base of operations is about two miles from the Soldotna air strip at Longmere Lake.

This is a breaking story. Check back for more information.

https://mustreadalaska.com/confirme...-gary-knopp-in-midair-crash-in-soldotna/

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Last edited by ironbender; 08/01/20. Reason: Correct link

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.