24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have killed hundreds of coyotes with the thump and stomp. Little kids hickory baseball bat to the bridge of the nose - not hard, just stun them. Stomp a couple of time on the ribcage, right behind the front leg. Dead. Quick and painless with no mess. I have no idea why a trapper would contaminate a canine set with blood when you don't need to.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and then another moment after that, before you take the trap off his foot and he's free to recover during the remake....

Either you've never done it, or if you tried to do it and just don't know how.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I've done my share....
Just telling 'those who've never done it, or just don't know how', to better be sure he's really, really dead.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I was a child I had a fox “come to” in my hands after my first tap and stomp. Just a light tap on the nose put him out and I did one heel stomp behind the leg. I guess that wasn’t enough, as he started writhing on the short trip back to the truck. I got both hands around his neck and quickly banged his head on the pickup and then put my heel back on the chest until I felt the heart quit beating.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As much as I love killing coyotes, stomping on their chest just doesn't seem appealing to me, nor does what I suspect the sound they make when you do it.

.22 LR right through the chest for me. You get some blood, but I wash them anyhow to de flea them and get al the dirt and grime out of the fur.

I have had a few instances where I forgot ammo or for whatever reason I couldn't shoot them and came up with creative ways to make them die, including choking by hand and heaving rocks, which I'm honestly not too proud of.

These days I prefer snares anyhow. The occasional foot catch happens, so I still carry a .22 rifle with me. I am not a serious trapper though. Just a dabbler.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, .22 short in the ear. No holes in the fur.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Anyone use acetone with a syringe mounted on a pole ?

Last edited by Whiptail; 12/23/20.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I never seen a coyote that would let you get a profile of them in the trap, keep their eyes right on yours.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by electram
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I never seen a coyote that would let you get a profile of them in the trap, keep their eyes right on yours.

The pic below is always how I find yotes when I walk up to them. Of course I don't sell fur or trap for the live market. I trap for "my" deer herd, so it really doesn't matter if there's holes or not. For what its worth, I dispatch them with a .22 caliber pellet rifle.

Attached Images
 coyote 1.jpg
Last edited by Highoctane; 12/24/20.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ranger1
I have killed hundreds of coyotes with the thump and stomp. Little kids hickory baseball bat to the bridge of the nose - not hard, just stun them. Stomp a couple of time on the ribcage, right behind the front leg. Dead. Quick and painless with no mess. I have no idea why a trapper would contaminate a canine set with blood when you don't need to.

This is what my dad taught me and what I still do 95% of the time. I have tried .22s but don't like the blood in my catch circle. While I can admit it's not the most glorious thing to do to a critter, it's damn effective when done correctly.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yeah a good old smack on the head does it. Make sure he's dead and not unconscious. Don't want him waking up in your trapping basket or vehicle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
22 LR HP in the heart. They tip right over. I don't like skinning headshots

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
If you want no holes in pelts, the Lee Stienmeyer death ray choke pole is the answer. 22 short in heart and lung area for me as I have a market for all skulls.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
22 shorts are what I used.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savedbygrace2001
Yeah a good old smack on the head does it. Make sure he's dead and not unconscious. Don't want him waking up in your trapping basket or vehicle.

Seems like solid advice.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Mornin, ya North country I think that's it. Used to know what parts of a harness were called! I'm blaming it on age. I'm pretty sure I'm headed for dementia, I can leave a room & go for something I need, and .................. have a good weekend I'm out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

Hell, I started forgetting what I went for 30 years ago, but I can still find my way home, mostly !!!!!

"not too grumpy"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I long ago gave up any tricky ways of killing trapped animals, be they coyotes, fox, coons or whatever. A standard velocity .22 bullet above and between they eyes and they are done. I've never had an excessive amount of blood to deal with and I've never had one come back to life on me as I've heard a couple of stories from some of the whomp 'em and stomp 'em fans.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My brother has trapped, skinned and sold hundreds of coyotes. They all get shot with a 22 rim fire, between the eyes. He washes all of the hides so a little blood is not a big deal to him.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A good coyote set can be a little tough for my crippled a s s to make and maintain.
I don't want to contaminate it with blood if I don't have to.

A catch pole to choke their sorry a sses out with works good.
After they give up on a short lived fight with the catch pole you can stand on their chest til they are dead enough to suit you.

Or you can cinch the catch pole down on them and go check other traps in the area and go back in a bit to a dead yote

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I made me a choke pole and when I didn't want to contaminate my site, I would use the choke pole to drag the live coyote away from the site and then either shoot it or tape it.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
354 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 37 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.