Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
can anyone direct me to any articles about these two on the campfire, or offer an opinion?
Thanks

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
24hourcampfire custom google search: Enter keywords magnetospeed labradar into the google search field.

Couple of threads it yielded:

Entering the 21st century Labradar or Magnetospeed

Magneto speed vs lab radar

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want what ever Mule Deer prefers. He has made me lazy, instead of doing my own research I just see what he says about it. Shame on me.....Who ever said you save money loading your own ammo is full of baloney. I ain't saved a dime and and have a sizable amount invested in presses and accessories and a middle of the road Pact chronograph.

Let us know what you decide and why please as I am interested in which would be best for me. But, I honestly don't think the moose I shoot at well under 200 yards appreciate all the time, effort and money we put into it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
1Akshooter,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I have owned both the LabRadar and Magnetspeed, and eventually sold the LabRadar. This may seem startling to LabRadar fans, but there's why:

When I head to the range it's for work, not play. Generally I'm taking at least a couple rifles, and have taken up to six, and often a handgun or two. I loved the LabRadar during its first 7-8 range sessions, but eventually came up against its limitations. It's listed as not reading bullets below .22 caliber consistently, because it reads by bouncing waves off the base of the bullet. I originally thought that might be OK, because while I do sometimes chronograph .17 and .20 caliber bullets, it's not all that often.

But eventually I also discovered it wouldn't read a particular high-BC 6mm bullet, apparently because the rear end of the extended boattail is too small. This was during a range trip during the last stages of putting together an article, and I needed that data. Luckily I also had a simple but reliable light-screen chronograph in the pickup, so switched to it.

The settings on the LR also need to be changed for shooting handguns. I'm often shooting both handguns and rifles during the same range session, which makes the LR more of a hassle. Plus, it won't read velocities above 3900 fps, and while I don't chronograph a lot of super-zappy loads, when I do it's again often during article research, so I need (not just want) the data.

The Magnetospeed reads everything, but the problem I initially had with it (again) was time. Mounting it on the barrel often changes point of impact and accuracy, so I had to spend more time and money reshooting the same load with the Magnetospeed bayonet off the barrel. I also had to be constantly switching it from one barrel to another. Eventually I solved both problems by modifying a Caldwell Rock front rifle rest to hold the bayonet, which works very well.

However, all of that applies to me as a gun writer. Many shooters don't test such a wide variety of firearms and cartridges--or as many at one time. For them the LabRadar can be a definite convenience, and using a Magnetospeed on the barrel is no big deal.

If the LabRadar folks ever overcome its limitations on bullet size and velocity, I would probably buy another. But for now am pretty happy with the Rock-mounted Magnetospeed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
1Akshooter,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I have owned both the LabRadar and Magnetspeed, and eventually sold the LabRadar. This may seem startling to LabRadar fans, but there's why:

When I head to the range it's for work, not play. Generally I'm taking at least a couple rifles, and have taken up to six, and often a handgun or two. I loved the LabRadar during its first 7-8 range sessions, but eventually came up against its limitations. It's listed as not reading bullets below .22 caliber consistently, because it reads by bouncing waves off the base of the bullet. I originally thought that might be OK, because while I do sometimes chronograph .17 and .20 caliber bullets, it's not all that often.

But eventually I also discovered it wouldn't read a particular high-BC 6mm bullet, apparently because the rear end of the extended boattail is too small. This was during a range trip during the last stages of putting together an article, and I needed that data. Luckily I also had a simple but reliable light-screen chronograph in the pickup, so switched to it.

The settings on the LR also need to be changed for shooting handguns. I'm often shooting both handguns and rifles during the same range session, which makes the LR more of a hassle. Plus, it won't read velocities above 3900 fps, and while I don't chronograph a lot of super-zappy loads, when I do it's again often during article research, so I need (not just want) the data.

The Magnetospeed reads everything, but the problem I initially had with it (again) was time. Mounting it on the barrel often changes point of impact and accuracy, so I had to spend more time and money reshooting the same load with the Magnetospeed bayonet off the barrel. I also had to be constantly switching it from one barrel to another. Eventually I solved both problems by modifying a Caldwell Rock front rifle rest to hold the bayonet, which works very well.

However, all of that applies to me as a gun writer. Many shooters don't test such a wide variety of firearms and cartridges--or as many at one time. For them the LabRadar can be a definite convenience, and using a Magnetospeed on the barrel is no big deal.

If the LabRadar folks ever overcome its limitations on bullet size and velocity, I would probably buy another. But for now am pretty happy with the Rock-mounted Magnetospeed.

Thank you for the clear expression of your experience, John. I hadn't understood the limitations of the Labradar, and had been planning on getting one. I'll hold off, and look elsewhere, since it looks like it won't fit a significant number of my needs.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I believe the majority of shooters will find the Pro Chrono will suit all their needs.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I believe the majority of shooters will find the Pro Chrono will suit all their needs.

Not exactly, but close. The only significant defect of the ProChrono is that it has to be set up 10-15 feet in front of the bench, which can be hassle at public ranges, especially on weekends when many people shoot. Which is why the Magnetospeed and LabRadar have become so popular:

But if that's not a problem, a ProChrono sure works--which is why one is always in my range equipment, whether to use as a primary or backup.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned a ProChrono for over 30 years. It works fine, but as John says, at a busy range it is a pain. the LabRadar might be a problem at a busy range, too. I think my next chronograph will be a Magnetospeed (the one you attach to your barrel).

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Set up for most chronographs at the range takes a few minutes - the Magnetospeed being the exception in this thread.

The overwhelming majority of users simply want to know how fast their bullets are traveling. I suppose it all depends on whether or not you use a busy public range, or have a quiet place to test.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

But eventually I also discovered it wouldn't read a particular high-BC 6mm bullet...

Which 6mm bullet did your Labradar struggle with?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Not exactly, but close. The only significant defect of the ProChrono is that it has to be set up 10-15 feet in front of the bench, which can be hassle at public ranges, especially on weekends when many people shoot. Which is why the Magnetospeed and LabRadar have become so popular:

But if that's not a problem, a ProChrono sure works--which is why one is always in my range equipment, whether to use as a primary or backup.

That's what I have now, and I like it a lot. It seems pretty reliable, and has done well with everything I've shot across it. I worry at times that the readings are not accurate, but I may just be worrying over nothing.

I don't shoot at public ranges anymore, and one of the reasons is the chronograph use. Another reason was all the accidents and injuries. Nothing like showing up at the range and seeing a big splotch of blood next to one of the benches. Every time I went. I took my oldest brother to a range for his first time, and he was hit by a steel-core ricochet in the scalp, which split it pretty good. He bled like a stuck pig. That was the last time I went to a range.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

That's what I have now, and I like it a lot. It seems pretty reliable, and has done well with everything I've shot across it. I worry at times that the readings are not accurate, but I may just be worrying over nothing.

I don't shoot at public ranges anymore, and one of the reasons is the chronograph use. Another reason was all the accidents and injuries. Nothing like showing up at the range and seeing a big splotch of blood next to one of the benches. Every time I went. I took my oldest brother to a range for his first time, and he was hit by a steel-core ricochet in the scalp, which split it pretty good. He bled like a stuck pig. That was the last time I went to a range.

Wow, that's not good! I hope he recovered.

The Pro Chrono has been discussed here before. It is reliable, affordable and accurate. While one can say that it is not as good as an Oehler, I doubt that most people need that level of accuracy or some of the features. I'll get into trouble for saying this, but for most, their money is better spent on a good scope, trigger or a stock rework.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Wow, that's not good! I hope he recovered.

The Pro Chrono has been discussed here before. It is reliable, affordable and accurate. While one can say that it is not as good as an Ohler, I doubt that most people need that level of accuracy or some of the features. I'll get into trouble for saying this, but for most, their money is better spent on a good scope, trigger or a stock rework.

Thank you for your well-wishes, Steve!

He recovered physically, but he was scarred by the experience (I was too). He hasn't been to a range since then, either. That was about a decade ago. He lives in an area that doesn't have any other options for shooting without a lot of travel. He's recently been convinced to join a private range, since he has a co-worker who belongs to one, and thus an "in". With all the unrest going on down here in the US, and particularly where he lives, he recently got a CC license, a handgun, and a PCC.

Thread hijack over.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"[The ProChrono}seems pretty reliable, and has done well with everything I've shot across it. I worry at times that the readings are not accurate, but I may just be worrying over nothing."

I have compared the results from two ProChronos directly to several other chronographs, by setting up the ProChrono at the same time so it will record the same shots. The first time I did this was with my Oehler 35P, during a range session that lasted around 4 hours, starting in early afternoon and ending when the sun was low in the sky. Light conditions obviously varied, but the PC held its own. The big difference is in distance between the light screens--the PC's are only a foot apart, and the Oehler's a minimum of two feet--which can be stretched considerably. The Oehler also has a third screen, providing a second check of the velocity reading--and prints a readout of every shot, on paper, if that's what you want, and is no doubt more accurate on each shot. But the average for each string from both chronographs was essentially the same.

I also checked that first PC against a second one, and they recorded the same velocities.

Did the same thing with my first Magnetospeed and the LabRadar, and given the difference between muzzle velocity (MS and LR) and the PC being at least 10 feet in front of the muzzle, the PC also recorded the same average velocity.

That said, the directions for the PC say to use the overhead filters on sunny days, but not use them on a cloudy days. I did check this out as well, and velocities will vary a little (not much) if you don't use the filters on sunny days.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

But eventually I also discovered it wouldn't read a particular high-BC 6mm bullet...

Which 6mm bullet did your Labradar struggle with?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
F
F

I sure would like to hear more about this Caldwell Rock modification you came up with and maybe a picture or two
Thanks!

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Mule Deer,

" Eventually I solved both problems by modifying a Caldwell Rock front rifle rest to hold the bayonet, which works very well"

How about a Pic. of this setup, sounds interesting

charlee

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great thread...

I have a Oehler 35P and was “thinking” about going to the lab radar... I think I’ll wait.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by charleeontop
Mule Deer,

" Eventually I solved both problems by modifying a Caldwell Rock front rifle rest to hold the bayonet, which works very well"

How about a Pic. of this setup, sounds interesting

charlee

Search for Magnetospeed and you'll find them in a thread within the last month.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I think I'll keep using my Oehler 33,or until they quit making "D" cell batteries!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,135
Posts18,464,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.