Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
IMO, this bill will destroy every department in Connecticut. It makes officers personally liable, bans important LE tools and more.

Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont signed comprehensive police accountability legislation into law Friday afternoon.

The law institutes a new statewide watchdog for police misconduct, bans "chokeholds" in most instances and puts limits on the ability of police departments to withhold officers' disciplinary records. It also allows individual officers to be held financially liable in civil suits over their actions.
The law requires all departments statewide to equip officers with body-worn cameras and places limits on the military equipment Connecticut police departments can acquire or use.
The bill, officially known as H.B. 6004 and titled "An Act Concerning Police Accountability," passed the Connecticut State Senate by a 21-15 vote early Wednesday morning after hours of deliberation.

"These reforms are focused on bringing real change to end the systemic discrimination that exists in our criminal justice and policing systems that have impacted minority communities for far too long," Lamont said in a news release.
"Ultimately, what we are enacting today are policies focused on providing additional safeguards to protect peoples' lives and make our communities stronger. Our nation and our state has been having a conversation on this topic for decades, and these reforms are long overdue."
The ACLU of Connecticut tweeted its support for the bill Wednesday evening.
"Ending police violence will not be solved by any one bill, but the bill passed out of the legislature today is a start," Melvin Medina, the ACLU of Connecticut's public policy and advocacy director, said in a statement. "To the legislators who instead voted to shield the profession of policing from accountability, do better."
The law is the latest state-level effort to reform American policing since George Floyd died in the custody of Minneapolis police in May.
Colorado Gov. Jared Polis signed a bill in June that mandates police officers wear body cameras and banned chokeholds.
Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf signed a pair of bills earlier this month that require officers seeking new positions to reveal previous employment records and mandate mental health evaluations of officers and training in use of force.
The Connecticut law creates an independent Office of the Inspector General at the state level to investigate all uses of deadly force by police in the state, or all instances of death in police custody. The legislation grants the inspector general's office subpoena power, and charges it with referring possible prosecutions to the state's Division of Criminal Justice.
It also allows the state's police accreditation body to revoke a law enforcement officer's credentials if they have been found to have used excessive force.
To that end, the law bans neck restraints, or "chokeholds," unless a law enforcement officer "reasonably believes" such a hold to be necessary to defend from "the use or imminent use of deadly physical force."
The law requires officers who witness other officers using excessive force or banned holds to intervene.
One of the most heavily debated sections of the law is a blow to "qualified immunity," the idea that government officials are protected from civil suits while performing the functions of their job.
Under the law signed Friday, Connecticut police officers can be subject to civil suit and can only claim immunity if the officer "had an objectively good faith belief that such officer's conduct did not violate the law."
The law also stipulates that, should a court find against an officer for having committed a "malicious, wanton, or willful act," the officer in question must reimburse the government for his legal defense.
Other notable stipulations of the law include a ban on military designed equipment, which the law refers to as "controlled equipment." Several classes of weapons are included in that ban, ranging from flash-bangs and explosives to armored drones and "highly mobile multi-wheeled vehicles."
Officers' disciplinary records are also prohibited from being shielded by any future collective bargaining agreements. Records are also now subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.
They taxed several big employers right out of the state.
Now they are going to turn the police into "bobbies" and partners into "hall monitors"

Port Royal, Providence, and Boston criminals will be taking weekend trips for a "bit of ultra-violence" in the "well domesticated suburbia" that is most of Connecticut.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
who the hell would want to be a cop if they knew that every POS they arrest can sue them personally? wtf kind of horschit is that?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by rem141r
who the hell would want to be a cop if they knew that every POS they arrest can sue them personally? wtf kind of horschit is that?

Our country is being destroyed by dumasses

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder where and what pool they are going to recruit from. Watching leftist schittholes burn is going to be the new cheap entertainment.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’m not LEO, but I think every person that voted for the bill should have to become a policeman for1 year.

I know that’s not gonna happen, nor is it practical, I’m just making a point that the people that voted for this bill don’t have any idea what the consequences will be.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Pandering.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

Fact!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
If the are going to make LEOs personally liable, let's do the same for all government workers and politicians. Attorney's are already successful at holding those in the private sector personally liable.

Most city politicians are going to hang out police officers to dry, in other words-avoid paying the officers legal defense expenses, rather than having those legal costs impact their sacred spending agendas..

Last edited by Lennie; 08/01/20.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lennie
If the are going to make LEOs personally liable, let's do the same for all government workers and politicians. Attorney's are already successful at holding those in the private sector personally liable.

Most city politicians are going to hang out police officers to dry, in other words-avoid paying the officers legal defense expenses, rather than having those legal costs impact their sacred spending agendas..

The line to sue the Clinton Foundation starts Here.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by hanco

True but put into office by their constituents, guess who's to blame? Sad but that's what the majority is going for in a downhill run. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Liberal/progressive horschit... Bow down, peons - and know yer place..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trump is also on board

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Every law enforcement officer in the state should call in sick until this is rescinded. No law enforment of any sort in the state. See how the people like what happens.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

More than there are jobs for! CT Police make great money and young kids don't care they only see $$$$

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Who’s going to foot the bill for the body cam requirement?
Having built my budget around cams going into this year.........they aren’t cheap and it becomes an annual line item.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why will the need body cams if they are gonna be toothless?

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by NH K9
Who’s going to foot the bill for the body cam requirement?
Having built my budget around cams going into this year.........they aren’t cheap and it becomes an annual line item.

George

It's CT they will get the money.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Pandering.

This.

Originally Posted by Lennie

And this.

While the reforms themselves are likely positive in some ways, singling out the police because "racism" is horseshit. Every government official paid with tax dollars should have the same standards of personal liability and mandatory body cams. When we were ruled by kings and lords, we often had to hold a sword to their throats to get them to acknowledge who their wealth and power comes from.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Friend is a Deputy in an area Sheriffs Office... Last year they had one opening...and got...two applications... Fortunately one of the applicants was one of their Cadets who had turned 21 as the other applicant was not suitable...

My local department has about 40 officers..the beginning of the year they were something like 11 or 13 down...that's 25%.

I'm from Connecticut and only go back to visit when I need to.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.