Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Lately I have run into a couple Three guys with dogs that tear into other dogs if they get near them.

If you are one of those guys that think this is ok and your dog bitting other dogs is OK... Just be aware that your hunting buddies with dog’s probably think your Dog is an arse hole, and given you don’t give a [bleep], ...

Hell one of the actually has a business that caters to dog supplies, all but one had their dogs in outside kennels.
It’s hard when you have friends that don’t respect your stuff, especially when it’s their dog going after yours and they don’t give a [bleep].

It’s not so hard when you don’t like them too much and you just quit taking them hunting... but that’s not my pref.

I just wish those guys would get it.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HAD a friend that had a GSP that would come off the gate and jump the nearest dog. I thought a lot of my friend but don't hunt with him any more after I told him my Wyoming buddies would shoot his dog if it jumped one of theirs. I bet those guys dogs don't " honor back" either.

Last edited by Reba; 08/01/20.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one like that, it was extremely protective of me, it would hunt with other dogs just fine but wouldn't allow them near me. My buddy nicknamed her the Alligator. I hunted alone most of the time so it wasn't a big deal, when hunting with others I let them know to keep their dogs on a lead until we hit the field.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think this is a result of not socializing dogs at an early age and keeping them outside in kennels their entire lives. Some of the worst behaved aggressive dogs Ive run across are hunting are professionally trained outdoors dogs. You can tell immediately the dogs have no connection with owners and hunt for themselves busting birds 200 plus yards out.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think this is a result of not socializing dogs at an early age and keeping them outside in kennels their entire lives. Some of the worst behaved aggressive dogs Ive run across are hunting are professionally trained outdoors dogs. You can tell immediately the dogs have no connection with owners and hunt for themselves busting birds 200 plus yards out.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some dogs are just crazy and will attack other dogs. My old hunting partner always kept his dogs in the house as pets, and they well taken care of. However, they did attack another dog once. They were just squirrely dogs.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of this can be attributed to socialization or the lack thereof. But a lot of it is also just poor breeding practice.

My best dog ever was a yellow lab. And he did well around other dogs in the field, but could, in the right circumstance be aggressive towards people. He was this way despite extensive socialization. No one was surprised as the bitch that he was bred from was the same way.

OTOH, I never worried about anyone breaking into my home. Actually had a mentally ill guy walk in one day. Seems he had a rep for doing just that around town. The cops joked that my dog might have cured him of it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not really all that uncommon for a couple of hard driving intact male bird dogs to sort out who's boss. Particularly if they are young. A lot of breeds have pretty dominant males, and they sort it out, usually very loudly and spit flying, but not much more.

Now, aggression is another matter altogether, but dog men know the difference. Unfortunately, not all hunters are dog men.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A hunting Dog that was overly aggressive around other Dogs or people, no matter how good, would be gone.

Don’t need or want the aggravation they carry with them. True aggression is a mean trait and will most likely eventually result in problems.

Last edited by battue; 08/02/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
At one time I had two hunting dogs (Brit and Gordon setter) and a Pit mix house dog.
All of them were socialized with neighbors dogs and I never had any issues with them attacking other dogs or any aggressive behavior.
Two years ago, I had to put my Brit and Pit down.
Since then, my Gordon who is 13 and 80% deaf, is a total mess and very unstable with other dogs.
I was hunting grouse in VT last year and I let him out to do his business, but he decided to attack the puppy of the land owner as he was walking her across the property.
Since then, he's been on a short leash and I don't hunt him with any other dogs.
I have no tolerance for owners that know their dogs are aggressive and let them run free to be aggressive.

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This is one reason why I favor large Labradors. Most trouble never gets started due to size. I don't care for the aggravation either, and like others, I don't want my dog abused by other's dogs.

Reminds me of a dog owned by a friend, "Ace". Ace caused a lot of trouble with smaller dogs on our hunts and was a real pain in the ass. His owner didn't do alot to stop him and we didn't hunt with him alot as a result. Ace didn't generally cause trouble with my dog, who outweighed him by 20 pounds or so. But one day as we were unloading and getting ready to start, Ace thought he'd take a poke at my dog, and before long my dog had Ace by the upper lip and was dragging him around the pickup with all kinds of whining and crying going on. By both dog and his owner.

"Aren't you going to stop him?"

"Uh, no, I don't believe I will."

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We raised german short hairs. Some like to fight, some like to kill.

Mixing dogs from different packs can and always will be a problem. We had a dog that would kill another dog within a couple of minutes...we sold him for $5000 in 1969.

We had dogs that would hunt long, and dogs that hunted short. Same sex Dogs from different people were rarely if ever mixed other than young dogs that were learning. Time in the truck talking about which dogs had agressive attitudes solved a lot of problems. Guys that like to see dog fights...well....you can pick up on this trait real quick....BEWARE!!!

We would hunt dogs from different guys by alternating them from morning and after noon hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Over the years I've had 5 Springers or Cockers. One Bud at least that many. And another more than twice that many. Both had either Pointers or Setters...Over that time frame there has yet to be the first fight and almost always, two of us had Dogs on the ground. Sometimes all three of us at once....Some have been on a Dog chain for feeding at the end of the day...There has been a growl when one has tried to get to another food... But nothing serious...

Last edited by battue; 08/10/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We went out to look at some new, to us at least, pheasant hunting ground on Saturday, get ready to post it, etc. It was too windy to fish. Took my dogs and my usual hunting partner brought his as well. The three of them hadn't seen each other in quite sometime and their reactions were heart warming. They were completely unable to hide their joy at hunting, running around and apparently just spending time together.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I run a kennel of 18 Alaskan malamutes with 8 years of selective breeding refinement. They range in size from 120 lbs to 180 lbs. At this size, aggression is not tolerated. Lots of socialization, selective breeding for kindness and stern correction at the sign of any aggression. When i say stern, you drill it home to the point that even a low growl or subtle sign of violence is corrected. Give an inch, dogs will take a mile. I runs thousands of miles of winter trail. I get a fight every two years or so.

Breed sht dogs, you'll get sht dogs. American kennel club is a denigration of working breeds. Those blowhards breed for looks first, until the bloodlines are worthless, instinctless house pets with bad behaviors.

Slightest sign of aggression towards humans, you are taken out of the gene pool. Americans are too soft with bad dogs. Some of these bad behavior instances you've shared, that sht would drive me nuts if i was there. Unbelivable..... working, pack oriented dogs allowed to act like that.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
We hunt Quail from Oct. till the end of Feb. And run 40 dogs, mostly English pointers, I will not put up with an aggressive dog, any dog that's a problem dog, gets a new zip code, our hunters expect good dog work, and we spend every day making sure they get just that, we don't keep any dog that our hunters can't pet. Rio7

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I agree that too many people put up with dogs that are problem dogs, and too many people breed problem dogs rather than take them out of the genetic pool.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Socializing a pup is a critical part of any pups training

However it cannot be overlooked or tolerated that any owner who thinks this overly aggressive behavior is ok is actually the problem and an xxxhole

There is room for all of God’s creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes.

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had a huge yellow lab that never showed any aggression to other dogs or people. However, if another dog ever jumped on him that dog soon regretted that decision. Old Jake could fight and had the size to settle a dog dispute. I hunted with a guy who had two black labs that were aggressive from the moment we hit the field. At the end of the first push when we all came together one of his dogs jumped on Jake and the other dog joined in. Jake whipped them both and while really giving the main dog a good ass kicking the guy ask me if I was going to break it up. I told him my dog didn't start it but I sure as hell was going to let him finish it. Afterward Jake made a circle around the trucks and stopped and pissed on the guy's shotgun while it was leaning against a back tire of the his truck.

Another time I was hunting with a guy in Kansas who was running his Brittney with us. Again, at the end of the first push while watering the dogs his dog grabbed Jake by the face. Jake didn't take long to reverse that situation and begin shaking the crap out of his dog and tossing it down into about a 10 foot deep ditch filled with tumble weeds. After both of these incidents we had no more dog fights. A big, rough strong lab is a good solution to another guy's aggressive dog.

My current dog is a smallish female GSP. I have mostly hunted her alone. However, a couple of years ago on a family and friends dove hunt my uncle brought his female lab. We were all gathered up drinking coffee and waiting for shooting light and his dog jumped on my dog. I usually let dogs fight for a bit as they are rarely serious and usually settle the dominance issue after the first scuffle. However, this time every time my dog and his came together his dog jumped on mine and my pup would try to run between my legs. One of those attacks resulted in some facial cuts on my dog. He never disciplined his dog. I finally put my pup up at the end of the hunt to stop the BS. Fast forward a few weeks and I show up for another hunt and see him and his dog. Before I even let my pup out of the dog box I go cut a 4 foot long heavy switch. I let me dog out and his charges up to us growling at my dog. My dog ran to my side. When his dog got in good range I hit it as hard as a I could across the head and down its back. When it yelped and turned to run I gave it another one across the back and butt. He didn't like it, but didn't say anything. No more problems the rest of that day. Fast forward a year and we are back on another family and friends dove hunt. Our dogs come together and my dog is on guard. However, his dog just smelled my pup and went on her way. I would normally not correct another guy's dog, but if they fail to control their dog and allow it to harm mine I will knock the crap out of it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Delete

Last edited by RipSnort; 09/27/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
787 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 3,196 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.