Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dpd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I’m looking at getting another .22 auto pistol . I’m looking for an accurate pistol with a threaded barrel with an optic rail.
Ruger IV lite or Browning Buckmark ? What say you and why ?

Last edited by dpd; 07/28/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Only reason I say Buckmark is because they fit my hands better.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the Ruger MK IV Lite and my Daughter bought the Browning Buckmark lite.

I personally like my Ruger better. It fits my hands better.

Still in the "wringing out" mode with both of these.

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 07/29/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We sold off the wife's Buckmark because the slide tension was too hard for her to chamber a new round. They might be different now, but rack the slide on an uncocked empty chamber on both of them before you buy. With the trigger locks on all the firearms in some stores lately, it might be difficult to find one that isn't already cocked on an empty chamber.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a mkiii 22/45. Best friend the buckmark. I think they are both awesome. Can’t tell any accuracy difference. I prefer the mkiii in hand and he prefers the buckmark. Which is why I say whatever feels best to you in hand. Huntsman’s buck Mark is superb for sure

I still need to add a ff3 to mine. Super quiet suppressed! May change grips as well

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 of the MK IV's one Lite one target. Trigger sucked on both of them but after swapping the sears to Volquartsen they are nice pistols. Shoot any ammo reliably and most stuff with good accuracy.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Many more options out there to accessorize Rugers. Volquartsen, Tandemkross plus many others.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Depends on your priorities. Both are good guns. I have owned both, and sold the Buckmark in favor of the Ruger Mark IV. With the Mark IV, Ruger got several things right, notably the ease of maintenance and ambidextrous 1911 style safety. I much prefer the Ruger recoil spring assembly over the Buckmark's with the tiny C clip and plastic housing. When I needed parts for the Buckmark there was a backorder of several weeks. I got a set of drop in captured recoil springs for the Ruger, very nice, can't remember the vendor. A major advantage of the Ruger over the Buckmark is the slide. My Buckmark was an earlier version, and the uncocked slide was the toughest of any I have ever handled. The Ruger is much easier to operate.

To be fair, the Ruger needed some aftermarket items to suit me, which added to the cost. Volquartsen trigger kit, Hogue grips, and Williams fiber optic sights. So, in terms of cost the point advantage might go to the Buckmark. However, if bang for the buck is a priority, the S&W Victory is probably the best value in this class of pistol. Pretty much good to go out of the box.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dpd: Just yesterday on a lengthy trip over east of me I added my 25th (twenty fifth!) Ruger MK series pistol to my current collection - NONE of them are of the "Lite" variety/configuration.
I also currently own 6 (six) Browning BuckMarks - again NONE of them are of the "Lite" variety/configuration.
Reason being - I shoot the heavier pistols better (more accurately) under virtually every condition/situation.
The "Lite" pistols I have shot in the past, that belong to my shooting partners, the first thing I think of is - I wish they had more mass/weight and/or longer barrels!
My "thought" is for you to consider the heavy barrel versions of either the Ruger MK's or the Browning BuckMarks.
By the way the pistol I bought yesterday was a Ruger MK-II stainless heavy 6 1/2" barrel (slab sided) "Competition Target Model". It is new unfired in the box with all accoutrement's (rings, bases, fired cartrdige, paperwork) - manufactured 2,001.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No experience with the Browning.

Got two of the Ruger Mark 4's. The factory trigger is one of the worst rimfire pistol triggers I've ever had, Takes a hundred plus Volquartsen trigger kit to remedy. With the VQ trigger kit installed mine are just over two pounds and superb.

A bonus with the Mark 4 is that you can easily swap uppers if desired.

Takedown is a snap.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
dpd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Reason for the lite is I have a suppressor I want to use on it and don’t want it to be too heavy or off balance

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dpd: I see - I have never owned a suppressor of my own but over the last two decades I have been shooting all kinds of pistols and Rifles with suppressors that belong to my Hunting and shooting companions.
I like'em.
Again best of luck to you with whichever brand/model you choose (try first?).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the 22/45 lite that I only shoot suppressed. It it a fun gun to shoot after you put the vq trigger kit in. The balance is great and a pleasure to shoot.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Recently bought a buckmark. Alloy barrel with sleeve, threaded and a rail. Good shooter, like the trigger. One reason i picked it over the Ruger was the fact that the chamber is more accessible w/o disassembling due to the fact the slide is open on both sides, bettet access for misfeeds. Although I believe the newer Rugers will takedown without any tools.

And i didn't own a Browning ...!

Last edited by johnn; 07/30/20.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thinking about a Buckmark 5.5 contour.
Anybody using one?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had a 22/45 Lite MK III, not the IV, for a few years, so other than the easier takedown, haven't kept up with what else changed. On mine, I added some Volquartson trigger stuff, Kanewolf slingshot conversion, and swapped out the LCI. Didn't think it was particularly accurate, just a hoot to shoot.. that is until last year when I bought a suppressor & a scope and shot my first group off of sandbags. 10 shots into .83" at 25 yards!

A few months ago, I bought a Buckmark Camper stainless- used, and swapped out the factory barrel for a Tac-Sol fluted, threaded one. I thought the gun was a little too heavy before, but the Tac-Sol barrel shaved off 7.3 ounces and made a huge difference in the feel. I also swapped out a few other factory parts for things like the Gearbox sear spring, and Eliminator recoil guide rod, and an integral scope/ rail mount.

The modded Buckmark now has a 3.5 lb trigger, the Ruger, sub 2 lb. One functions just as reliably as the other. If I had to choose, I think I'd go with the Ruger because I like the feel of the 22/45's grip better than the bigger Browning UFX grip, and the Ruger is slightly shorter & lighter than the Browning. In my opinion, the difference comes down to a matter of personal preference.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hookeye said,
Thinking about a Buckmark 5.5 contour.

The stainless Contour is my favorite looking Buckmark model in the current lineup. Only negative on them is that they do feel pretty heavy to me. I'm having trouble deciding on whether I want the probably more practical 5 1/2", or the really cool-looking 7 1/4" model. In fact, the reason I bought my stainless Camper was to get this grip frame and mate it with the slide/ barrel of the Contour eventually. Since I'd like to mount a scope, I'm leaning towards the 7 1/4" for the "wow" factor plus it would probably keep the muzzle blast a little further away from the objective lens.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
5.5 UFX lite is pretty nice, just right with a muffler on it

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops had the 5.5, plus 10 and 14 inch silhouette models.
I always wanted the no sight 10 inch varmint.

Had a couple 8" rugers and think the contour 5.5 is the one for me. The 7 inch is cool, but begs a scope.

If i get a 5.5 it will proly get mini rds or reflex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.