Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jeeper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I have an ar with 5.56 chamber that has over 1000 rounds through it. Rifle runs like a sewing machine and has never failed. mostly handloads using lake city brass and 55 gr with near max load of varget. Seems like brass does not grow very much from multiple shots. Can get more than 4 loadings before it's getting close to max length when trimmed to .007 under max length. Is this an indication of headspace on the tight side ?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Since they are being reloaded it would be more related to how much they are being resized, so could be FLS die and how you've adjusted it.

I never did a full FLS for my M14, my cases were a snug fit but also reliable feeders - the FLS die wasn't screwed into the press for max FLS if you know what I mean. I check case length and adjust to max after each firing so don't really know the figure for how much they stretch. I use my caliper as a go-no go length measurement.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
jeeper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Since they are being reloaded it would be more related to how much they are being resized, so could be FLS die and how you've adjusted it.

I never did a full FLS for my M14, my cases were a snug fit but also reliable feeders - the FLS die wasn't screwed into the press for max FLS if you know what I mean. I check case length and adjust to max after each firing so don't really know the figure for how much they stretch. I use my caliper as a go-no go length measurement.

I'm using full length die just barely contacting shoulder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jeeper

That don;'t mean much; have you heard of "tolerance stacking"?

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Headspace is the difference between chamber and ammo.
As Jkob alluded, tolerance stacking can be a problem even if everything is
within spec. Ammo is a bottom of spec, chamber at top? Too much slop and problems.

I shoot a Rem 660 in 308, lost a casehead and had headspace checked 30 years ago.
The bolt will close on a no-go with a .010 chip on it.

Yep, she has headspace issues!

Went to neck sizing, then a FL die to bump the shoulder when they get snug.
Some of my LC match brass has been loaded 5 or 6 times, never separated another.

You rifle is probably fine.
Your loading process is definitely fine.
All that's really important.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

jeeper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
Originally Posted by jeeper

That don;'t mean much; have you heard of "tolerance stacking"?

I don't know what you mean by tolerance stacking

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Jeeper,

The throat is what wears out, and if you only have 1,000 rounds through it, that should be fine for a long time.
Now keep in mind the lands on a 5.56 are a lot further away than if it had been a 223 chamber.

Headspace wise if you want to get an idea of where it’s at get a Hornady headspace kit that fits on a micrometer and check factory vs. fired... your headspace will be a bit more than that shows.

Headspace wise .001-003 over a go gauge that is hard to close bolt is where a new gun starts, MOST (not all) field gauges are .010 over the go... (so that’s your safety margin for most rounds).
No-go’s are either .004, or .006 over the min. Chamber length... most people don’t know that... and Ideally rifles don’t close on those... some older guns will, but the question on safety is really how does the Field gauge - it if goes in you have a problem.

That being said - I’ve seen brass “shorten” instead of stretch so there aren’t any guarantee’s when inferring non-stretching brass means good headspace.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 08/01/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (Akhutr, 10Glocks, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,226
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.