Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Six of us from Michigan looking to hunt South Dakota this October. We normally go to Pelee Island Canada, but the hunt has been cancelled due to Covid 19.

Any recommendations for location and outfitter. We have dogs.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's a good population of birds so it will be a good year to come out. You can do lodge hunts or you can scratch around yourselves on the public ground or anywhere in between. What kind of trip are you looking for?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi BKinSD, we are looking for a self guided hunt. We have dogs and are experienced hunters. It would be nice if a farmer or rancher had a guest house and could put us up for 4 days, provide breakfast and dinner and put us on to birds on his land or land that he leases. We are not looking to stay at a lodge and shoot pen raised birds. Too long of a drive to hunt pen raised pheasants, we want to go after wild birds and experience hunting the way it was back in the 1960's here in Michigan. We could also do our own cooking if the house came with a kitchen.

Thanks for any help.

300 Savage

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Unless you’re absolutely set on October, see Dukxdog’s thread about “good hunting this year in SD” a little below yours. He’s has what you are looking for but is filled until December.

Let me say a word about December — it’s when our group goes and while we’ve hit a snow storm or two the hunting has been very good; admittedly you are playing some weather-roulette, but the non-res crowds are gone and there will still be plenty of birds available.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
OK I get that. It's perfectly understandable, for sure. Seems like your biggest task is going to be making sure that the place you go to started out with a good population and isn't shot out by the time you get there. Plenty of "wild birds" get released to maintain numbers through the season, be aware. YMMV.

Daybreak Ranch north of Highmore might be of interest to you. Their property is large and holds wild birds through the end of season, year after year. ToriLil by Vivian is a wild bird operation. So is Halverson Hunts near Kennebec. All three good operations.

Good luck and I hope its a great season for all!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again BKinSD. I will look up your suggestions and see if they have openings.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
PS I agree with George. By far the best time, for me as a resident, is after Thanksgiving. Its not practical for everyone but my family/friends/fun hunts are in the first 2-3 weeks of the season. My serious hunting is done after Thanksgiving though the end of the season.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

You probably know, but a lot of the guided or lodge hunts in sodak use planted pen raised birds. Some are ok with that, some are not. If you’re not, I’d ask before you book with someone.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Unless you’re absolutely set on October, see Dukxdog’s thread about “good hunting this year in SD” a little below yours. He’s has what you are looking for but is filled until December.

Let me say a word about December — it’s when our group goes and while we’ve hit a snow storm or two the hunting has been very good; admittedly you are playing some weather-roulette, but the non-res crowds are gone and there will still be plenty of birds available.

Thanks George.

December is fantastic hunting. Weather can be rough but not always. Good thing is you don't have to be out all day and can be in the field 30 minutes to couple hours then get warm, take a little break then back hunting if you haven't filled out yet. Then you have a warm house, hot chow and friends to hang out with. I used to always plan 10 days in December for fun hunting.

No other hunters around. Birds holding tight. Dogs working close. Roosters busting out of the snow. Man, it's just plain awesome!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are tempting me to sign on for an additional 5 days. 😀

However, I may need some clothing advice. 🌬

Last edited by battue; 08/01/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fresh snow adds a whole other dimension to a “rooster blowing up skyward.” Growing up, we never were real serious until later November and into December. The contrasts, all beautiful, that meet the eye are exquisite and unmatched.

Great pic’s dukxdog. A rooster in the snow is God’s own paint on His palette.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/01/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I noticed that some of the hunters are not wearing orange in the photos. Is it required in SD? Also do you have to plug your guns for upland birds?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is not required, but officially encouraged. With a group, it’s a good idea especially with walking shelter belts (long, but very narrow strips of trees), particularly caps, etc. Hunter’s responsibility to meet the situation safely. Of course that’s always true.

Zippo for the plugs also.

This was off-the-cuff so check the reg’s of course.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/01/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Plugs are for migratory birds and waterfowl.

Orange is NOT required. I don't hunt in groups and often just by myself with my dogs. I'll wear an orange hat for opening week of SD deer season while I'm pheasant hunting. Old timers never had blaze orange. Personal preference.

Not much better than a dog on point in front of you with a rooster tucked in bent grass covered in fresh snow on a chilly morning. Only thing is you never know how many will bust out!

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Like above post, I no longer wear blaze orange hunting alone. I think the birds really are conditioned to avoid someone wearing orange. I don't use whistles or beeper with my dog. Hand signals and vibrating collar.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all that responded, I will follow up with my hunting buddies and see how they feel about a December hunt. DukXDog thank you for your input and photos. I may be getting back to you
if they want to try some December hunting. We have a second season for upland here in Michigan starting December 1st. So I am familiar with cold weather pheasant hunting.
Thanks again everyone.

300Savage

C
C
Hunted Jim River Ranch located just outside of Redfield. Excellent time!

Life Long Outdoorsman

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Check out dakotahotspots.com near Kennebec SD.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tag

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like the Mitchell/Artesian area. Lots of birds on the state lands, though a guy needs to use non-toxic shells. If you're OK with that then I wouldn't bother with asking around/trespass fees. The amount of birds there is stupid compared to other places I've hunted (Idaho, Montana, Utah), even in their low years.
If they're planted birds, even from the previous year.....I wouldn't know as they flush and fly really strongly.

One more thing to keep in mind: in South Dakota you can't start hunting until 10:00 AM each day. I believe that is on both public and private, but you may want to make sure about that. You can however hunt the borrow ditches of roads that are not maintained by either state or federal agencies (or something like that-check to make sure). You can send your dog onto the private land to retrieve, or leave your gun in the borrow ditch and go retrieve it yourself but can't shoot birds unless you're in the borrow ditch (the regulations provide more exact definitions, so please consult it first).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.