Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
But it’s the way the product works. If you have to rebuild the darn thing get another product. Most of these modifications are completely unusable in a myriad of situations.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I was waiting for the go ahead from my eye surgeon. Just had cataract surgery in my shooting eye. Once again have 20/20 in that eye!

Wow, sure hope that does not progress adversely.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have my bayonet screwed on to the mounting plate of a tripod. It is a little tedious to set up, but once everything is in place it seems to work fine. Fortunately I have access to a range were setting up in front of the bench is not a problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I would prefer something that mounts to the forearm of the stock utilizing the sling stud the way a bipod would to eliminate the adjustment of two separate units.

Why not just get one that's already on the market then?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I would prefer something that mounts to the forearm of the stock utilizing the sling stud the way a bipod would to eliminate the adjustment of two separate units.

Why not just get one that's already on the market then?

I will, and don't have issue with that, if it comes to that. Do you know of anything available that we have not touched upon in this discussion?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dunno why some people appear to be getting upset by using a Magnetospeed on a stand.

I bought my MS from somebody on the Campfire, essentially new, for a very good deal. The "stand" cost me $50 at a local store, and between them I have less than $200 into the project.

The concrete benches at my local range are similar to the one in the photos, but just enough longer that by setting up rifle rests a little farther back, the MS works fine. The same thing works on my Stukey portable bench.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Without going back through the posts to see if these were mentioned, there's the Wiser Precision, MK Machining, and David Tubb's. I've got the Sporter model but may have to upgrade to the V3 to work with suppressors. Wiser says people have used their unit with the Sporter and a can, but the whole unit has to go in front of the can. Like others my issue is bench length so would have to use something attached to the sling swivel or front rest like yours. If it gets too complicated to set up, I might as well go back to an optical unit, which isn't ideal at a club with a lot of members.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I initially tried a tripod mounted unit. The ground in front of our benches is too uneven to be able to setup, or make later adjustments, from behind the firing line. Preventing an elongated seize fire is the goal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice setups Reloader 28. Like the attached to front rest concept. Grooved rail also an excellent idea.

Last edited by Azshooter; 08/17/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My solution is pretty low tech. Using a magnetospeed setup similar to the one built by Mule Deer and using a rifle rear bag and front rest similar to Dirtfarmer, I simply place a 2' x 6' finished particle board shelf on top of the shooting bench at the range, set my individual pieces on the shelf, align as necessary and shoot. Simple and does not require any modifications to store bought stuff other than the one hole in the rock rest jr to hold the magnetospeed unit. Can easily be adjusted for different rifles and the weight of the rifle, rests, bags and caldwell unit hold the shelf in place while shooting. And the shelf only cost about $15 at a local builders supply store.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
rflshtr,

That's too simple to work!

Absolutely brilliant....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rflshtr,

That's too simple to work!

Absolutely brilliant....

Yep, that'll work.

Low tech, high yield....

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rflshtr
My solution is pretty low tech. Using a magnetospeed setup similar to the one built by Mule Deer and using a rifle rear bag and front rest similar to Dirtfarmer, I simply place a 2' x 6' finished particle board shelf on top of the shooting bench at the range, set my individual pieces on the shelf, align as necessary and shoot. Simple and does not require any modifications to store bought stuff other than the one hole in the rock rest jr to hold the magnetospeed unit. Can easily be adjusted for different rifles and the weight of the rifle, rests, bags and caldwell unit hold the shelf in place while shooting. And the shelf only cost about $15 at a local builders supply store.

Tried that first. Worked just ok. Quickly determined fewer moving parts was best. I’m glad it works for you. Not good for me.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
What extra "moving parts" are you talking about? And what problems could you pinpoint?

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The plywood I used was not well suited for the application. It was only a piece of scrap I had in the garage. Reckon it did not fit well enough to be captured by the points of the rest. Under recoil it kept working its way forward. Though the idea worked quite well my mind was awhir with better ideas on the way home. From there I moved on to other attempts at streamlining the process. May be I abandoned the best & simplest idea too early.....?

I am ate up with reinventing the wheel.

The objective for me is multiple targets abreast. Thus my MS needs to track with the pivot of the barrel. If I were shooting single page targets it would not be an issue.

RFLSHTR & I had the same idea. Ultimately I did not want to pack around a large plank. In hindsight, that may work out best. I started by tucking the rear edge of the board under the front of the rest. It never occurred to me to extend it to include the entire footprint of the rest.

Last edited by Reloder28; 08/20/20.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The plywood I used was not well suited for the application. It was only a piece of scrap I had in the garage. Reckon it did not fit well enough to be captured by the points of the rest. Under recoil it kept working its way forward. Though the idea worked quite well my mind was awhir with better ideas on the way home. From there I moved on to other attempts at streamlining the process. May be I abandoned the best & simplest idea too early.....?

I am ate up with reinventing the wheel.

The objective for me is multiple targets abreast. Thus my MS needs to track with the pivot of the barrel. If I were shooting single page targets it would not be an issue.

RFLSHTR & I had the same idea. Ultimately I did not want to pack around a large plank. In hindsight, that may work out best. I started by tucking the rear edge of the board under the front of the rest. It never occurred to me to extend it to include the entire footprint of the rest.

I'd probably want my board more than 6" wide, maybe 12".

If a piece of plywood, I'd make sure it was at least 5/8", cut to fit the bench with enough overhang off the front to accommodate the free standing Magnetospeed. If it moved, one could apply a clamp or two such that it/they wouldn't interfere with shooting.

I don't see why something like that wouldn't work.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I got a 24" wide shelf that is 6' long since I have two rifles with 30" or longer barrels and wanted one board for all rifles. If you limited your chronographing to 24" barrels or shorter, you could get by with a 5' or shorter board. I like the wider board/shelf since everything can fit on top of it but I drive a pickup so size of the board is not an issue for me. So far I have not needed the clamps to hold things in place but have not used it with large bore, dangerous game type rifles. The wider board also allows the whole set up to be slid around on the bench top to engage multiple targets left or right depending on the range set up you are shooting at. The whole point of this thread is to share ideas and we all should recognize that each idea might not work for everybody. For me, simple is better but that is just me.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rflshtr
I got a 24" wide shelf that is 6' long since I have two rifles with 30" or longer barrels and wanted one board for all rifles. If you limited your chronographing to 24" barrels or shorter, you could get by with a 5' or shorter board. I like the wider board/shelf since everything can fit on top of it but I drive a pickup so size of the board is not an issue for me. So far I have not needed the clamps to hold things in place but have not used it with large bore, dangerous game type rifles. The wider board also allows the whole set up to be slid around on the bench top to engage multiple targets left or right depending on the range set up you are shooting at. The whole point of this thread is to share ideas and we all should recognize that each idea might not work for everybody. For me, simple is better but that is just me.

IMO, simple is always better...

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the ideas. I am going to mount mine with the angle iron extension for short benches. Looks simple enough. I think I already have the aluminum stock.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Thanks for the ideas. I am going to mount mine with the angle iron extension for short benches. Looks simple enough. I think I already have the aluminum stock.

Look at Reloader28's set up. I like his witness rod under the barrel to easliy re-establish perfect bayonet to bore alignment, shot to shot. That's a bigger deal with guns that kick.
and with guns wearing suppressors.

That's slicker and faster than my idea of slipping a wooden dowel in the bore to adjust bayonet alignment..

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
361 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 40 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.