Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I just look at the muzzle's relationship to the V-block used when attaching the MS to the muzzle after every shot. So far the muzzle or MS position hasn't shifted much between shots--but haven't shot many hard-kicking rifles, either.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I set my equipment up in my shop today on top of a portable folding bench and took some measurements using one of my 30+" long barreled rifles.

Depending on the bench at the range you shoot from, the board/shelf might only need to be 4' to 5' long rather than the six feet of my shelf.If you use only shorter barrel rifles maybe less than 4' would be adequate to get the rifle and rests on top of the board along with the chronograph set up.Over time, if I find I do not need all 6', I will cut it shorter to make it more convenient to move around .For my style of bench shooting, I really like the 24" wide footprint.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rflshtr
I set my equipment up in my shop today on top of a portable folding bench and took some measurements using one of my 30+" long barreled rifles.

Depending on the bench at the range you shoot from, the board/shelf might only need to be 4' to 5' long rather than the six feet of my shelf.If you use only shorter barrel rifles maybe less than 4' would be adequate to get the rifle and rests on top of the board along with the chronograph set up.Over time, if I find I do not need all 6', I will cut it shorter to make it more convenient to move around .For my style of bench shooting, I really like the 24" wide footprint.

Agree with the added width.

How thick is your plywood?

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/23/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a pre-finished shelf that measured 24" wide by six feet long and the width is 5/8th inch particle board covered in a smooth finish on top and bottom and one side.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rflshtr
I bought a pre-finished shelf that measured 24" wide by six feet long and the width is 5/8th inch particle board covered in a smooth finish on top and bottom and one side.

That'll work.

DF

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Also thanks to this thread I set up my Trigger Stick for the Magneto and it is easy and portable. The ball & pan head of a regular tripod is better but I usually can level it enough with the leg height and line up with the barrel.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[Linked Image].

What is the lowest deck height on the plate for this rig?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
A little under 4 inches.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A little under 4 inches.

Thank you very much

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by spud06
That looks really good, but I'd be lucky to make it through 10 shots before I destroyed the bayonet. LOL

Proper alignment to prevent blowing up the bayonet is something that should be addressed in preparation for each shot, IME.

The Magnetospeed extension device seems a good idea when a longer bench is not practical. A free standing rest needs something to sit on.

In my case, I built a tailgate bench for my Z-71 which gives plenty of room for the rest mounted device. May not be for everyone in every situation. The typical shooting range benches I've seen may not be long enough.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a nice setup but here in NY a loaded firearm other than registered handguns can touch a motor vehicle. Not even leaning against it, nuts here.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just need to be out in the woods, far enough in the wildernes that they'll never know.

I shoot on my place, no one out there to bother me. Cows leave me alone when I'm shooting. They don't like the noise.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's what we do here also and out of sight from liberal view.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The Libs could learn from the cows - stay away from things you don't understand that scare you.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shinbone
The Libs could learn from the cows - stay away from things you don't understand that scare you.

Well, if they were smart as cows.... grin

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DANNYL
That's what we do here also and out of sight from liberal view.

I'm guessing your maple syrup operation is pretty remote.

I've seen pictures, have a jug of your syrup in my refrig. Good stuff, BTW...

DF

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 23 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.