Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Three kids from one family...wow...tragedy x3

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
adios cabron

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I listen to Dan fa gan every morning just to keep up with back home and I will say I feel f or everybody else in involved

Too bad his buddy Chuck Kopp wasn't with him?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I listen to Dan fa gan every morning just to keep up with back home and I will say I feel f or everybody else in involved

Too bad his buddy Chuck Kopp wasn't with him?

And....

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Horrible all around. 3 from the same family and young.

Yup.
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We drove by the site about 10 on our way into town.

If my wife hadn't been doing her usual dink-a-thon, we would have been there about the time they fell out of the sky.

Sometimes it does pay to be perpetually late, I guess.

Hard times for a lot of folks here, and Carolina.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
On of the victims, David Rogers, was a friend of a guy that I go to church with. He'd hunted turkeys with him in Kansas.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Maybe they can figure out what happened.

Considering the relative positions of Longmere Lake (about a mile west of me) and the Soldotna airport, I suspect Greg was climbing out, and into the path of Knopp from underneath, with Gary overtaking at converging angles, and neither could see the other. Obviously, neither did, anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Maybe they can figure out what happened.

Considering the relative positions of Longmere Lake (about a mile west of me) and the Soldotna airport, I suspect Greg was climbing out, and into the path of Knopp from underneath, with Gary overtaking at converging angles, and neither could see the other. Obviously, neither did, anyway.

I suppose they must have some records of what each was doing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At some point ADS-B in and out is going to be mandatory for all planes. Even then it won't eliminate mid airs, but it will certainly help.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
there's been a lot of mid-airs lately in uncontrolled airspace

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Troops:

Spoke today with a gentleman that piloted for High Adventure for 15+ years and had been in recent contact with the family. His version is the Beaver was climbing out of Longmere to cross Cook Inlet (west). The Aztec, flight planned for Anchorage (north), came out of Soldotna, initially headed east, and then did a 180 back to west. Evidence from the Beaver suggest it was clipped from behind and possibly below as the rear sections of both floats were prop sliced as was a detached portion of the Beaver's tail section. Given very limited debris fields, it appears both craft lost all flight capabilities and simply fell from the sky. One would think a Beaver would be outrunning an Aztec and not likely be clipped from behind, but my knowledge of a twin Aztec is zilch.

Edited: From my feeble memory, I believe the Beaver also lost a wing as it fell.

A second High Adventure Beaver was about 5 minutes behind with the balance of the family (dad and a son). They did not witness the incident, but were immediately concerned when unable to make contact with the first. High Adventure had 3 Beavers, and they are still flying the remaining in an attempt to fulfill contracts. They have a long long history in the area that I think dates back maybe to the 60's when the family patriarch initially came north from Corvallis, Oregon.

Hope the official details surface soon, but seems the Feds can take months or years to get their ducks in order.

Bad deal all around,

Last edited by 1minute; 08/10/20.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
Troops:

Spoke today with a gentleman that piloted for High Adventure for 15+ years and had been in recent contact with the family. His version is the Beaver was climbing out of Longmere to cross Cook Inlet (west). The Aztec, flight planned for Anchorage (north), came out of Soldotna, initially headed east, and then did a 180 back to west. Evidence from the Beaver suggest it was clipped from behind and possibly below as the rear sections of both floats were prop sliced as was a detached portion of the Beaver's tail section. Given very limited debris fields, it appears both craft lost all flight capabilities and simply fell from the sky. One would think a Beaver would be outrunning an Aztec and not likely get clipped from behind, but my knowledge of a twin Aztec is zilch.

A second High Adventure Beaver was about 5 minutes behind with the balance of the family (dad and a son). They did not witness the incident, but were immediately concerned when unable to make contact with the first. High Adventure had 3 Beavers, and they are still flying the remaining in an attempt to fulfill contracts. They have a long long history in the area that I think dates back maybe to the 60's when the family patriarch initially came north from Corvallis, Oregon.

Hope the official details surface soon, but seems the Feds can take months or years to get their ducks in order.

Bad deal all around,

A beaver is awesome, but it ain't fast. It would be odd if the beaver was hit low and behind, as the Aztec is low wing and he should have had a good view if he climbed into him.
I would think the Aztec descended into the beaver, as the view underneath would have been obstructed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's my understanding that the Aztec numbers were being used on a rebuilt Supercub.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
It's my understanding that the Aztec numbers were being used on a rebuilt Supercub.

If it was a supercub and not an Aztec, that would make more sense. I wondered who the tundra tires belonged to in the crash picture.

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
David Rogers' daughter works for my son in law in Topeka, KS. Nice young lady I'm told.
Terrible tragedy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wondered who the tundra tires belonged to in the crash picture.

The High Adventure Beavers wear floats for their summer season as most clients are fishermen.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/10/20.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TCK
David Rogers' daughter works for my son in law in Topeka, KS. Nice young lady I'm told.
Terrible tragedy.

Very sad deal...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by VernAK

If it was a supercub and not an Aztec, that would make more sense. I wondered who the tundra tires belonged to in the crash picture.

Super sad deal as Sitka said.
It was never an Aztec - that was a press error that got propagated. PA-12, super cruiser. Think cub with an extra few inches around the middle.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If Knopp turned back West (evidence?}), maybe he had a mechanical , turned back, and was busy watching his dash, and not the sky? Especially if he made it a left hand turn, Gregg would have thought Gary clear, and have been in Gary's blind spot.

speculation....

Last edited by las; 08/17/20.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 3,128 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.