Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15097371 07/31/20
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My daughter is left handed. She is about 5' 7". I would like to buy her a left handed bolt action rifle. Ideally, I've been looking for a Weatherby Camilla in 7mm-08 and I absolutely can't find one anywhere.

1st Question - Anybody have one they want to get rid off? :-)
2nd Question - Anyone know of a national retail chain that might potentially carry one?
And the big final question - Anyone have a recommendation for another bolt action rifle specifically designed for women with the same quality of production and accuracy? Especially one that is easier to obtain (although no one seems to carry left handed rifles - gotta order it)

Thanks all.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by summitsittin
Anyone have a recommendation for another bolt action rifle specifically designed for women with the same quality of production and accuracy? Especially one that is easier to obtain (although no one seems to carry left handed rifles - gotta order it)

Thanks all.

Take a look at the Savage Storm. Its a stainless rifle with an adjustable LOP and comb. We own three, two leftys and a righty for the wife. Not the slickest action in the world but reliable and very accurate. I would buy another in a heart beat. They will not win any beauty contests and the price reflects it.
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57089

Sometimes you get lucky, I picked up my lefty .308 for under $600 at Buds over a year ago.

I wasnt aware Weatherby produced a left handed Camilla. Are you sure about that?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I was in a similar situation. My wife is about 5’7 also. Definitely not as nice as the Camilla but we got her a 7-08 Ruger American compact. Just needed to add foam cheek piece to it. Shoots great, works great, and she loves it.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Ultimately, I'd like to take her to the gun shop and let her hold some options to see which feels more comfortable. These two will now be included in the list of options when testing fit.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Browning A-Bolt (now X-Bolt) Micro Hunter - sorry, I had two that I just parted with in the past 6 months.
Grice Gun Shop in PA had one as recent as last week, FWIW
Good luck

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter is left handed. She is about 5' 7". I would like to buy her a left handed bolt action rifle. Ideally, I've been looking for a Weatherby Camilla in 7mm-08 and I absolutely can't find one anywhere.
What gave you the idea that this was available in left-handed? Some gun shop jackass? This isn't available in left-handed and likely won't ever be available in a left-handed configuration. Only 15% or so of the population is left-handed and even fewer than that are hunters and gun owners. Do the math. Your options are going to be something along the lines of a Ruger American, a now-discontinued Ruger 77 Hawkeye, a Remington 700 of some variety, a Savage, a Browning A Bolt II or X Bolt, a NULA, a now-discontinued MRC, a Tikka, a now-discontinued Sako 591, or some custom/semi-custom rig. But not a Weatherby Mark V Camilla.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd have a good look at he Browning's and Tikka's. might have to go up or down a notch on the 308 family tree?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have to admit that the most accurate factory rifle that I have ever owned was a Savage 110 (long action), heavy barrel, chambered .223. Would consistently shoot hand loads under 0.5 MOA for 5 shots at 100 yards, with a cheap Simmons 6.5x20 scope on top.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My 12 year old grandson is left handed and I bought him a Tikka Super lite in 6.5 CM at Sportsmans Warehouse. I would have preferred a 7-08 but they no longer had it and I wanted a short low recoil cartridge. He shot it for the first time with a variety of different bullet weights and brands of ammo. Barrel real hot, wind blowing hard and results were 1-1 1/2 in groups at 100 yds depending on the ammo from a 12 yr old.
I'm impressed with the Tikka and he is jazzed as he has a AZ youth cow hunt coming up in Oct.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by FoxTrotter
My 12 year old grandson is left handed and I bought him a Tikka Super lite in 6.5 CM at Sportsmans Warehouse. I would have preferred a 7-08 but they no longer had it and I wanted a short low recoil cartridge. He shot it for the first time with a variety of different bullet weights and brands of ammo. Barrel real hot, wind blowing hard and results were 1-1 1/2 in groups at 100 yds depending on the ammo from a 12 yr old.
I'm impressed with the Tikka and he is jazzed as he has a AZ youth cow hunt coming up in Oct.

Good luck to the grandson on his upcoming hunt !

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the continued good information.

Many of you are mentioning rifles that are standard rifles and not rifles that are specifically designed for women -that's what I originally liked about the camilla. Is the thinking process that it really isn't important to consider length of pull for a youth/woman. I am concerned about that because my daughter has very small hands and I'm afraid that her LOP is going to be less than 12.5" Or, do many of you buy those rifles and then change the stock out so that it fits the individual person?

Also, do most of you make adjustments to the comb for children, in the event that they are unable to see through the scope? In other words, do you have a recommendation for something that you put on the comb to bring their eye to the level of the scope?

I assume most gun stocks aren't designed to angle away from the body in order to accommodate a woman's body like the camilla, but if anyone knows of a specific rifle designed for the female figure that I could consider that would be much appreciated.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Orion2000 - Definitely good luck to your grandson on his cow hunt.

I'm very glad that you responded and touched on this topic. My first interest was to buy my daughter a Ruger American LH in 6.5 creedmore because I was looking for a cartridge with reduced recoil. After doing some reading on the internet I was concerned that even with a heavier bullet selection the 6.5 might not be enough for Elk. Ideally, I'd like to buy my girls rifles that are capable on both deer and elk as those are primarily the game animals that we wish to pursue. As a result of the research I did, I chose a 7mm-08 for my eldest daughter.

I would love to hear your recommendation of a bullet weight for elk, and I would love to hear from anyone that has successfully used the 6.5 on elk. I understand that bullet placement is ultimately the most important factor in hunting with a rifle, but if many of you believe that the 6.5 can be more than capable on an elk I might reconsider my caliber choice for my youngest daughter's gun.

Thanks all.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How tall is your daughter? If she is under 5-7 most likely you will have to have the stock cut down and a new pad installed. I can't stress enough that stock fitment is way more important than the caliber.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many of you are mentioning rifles that are standard rifles and not rifles that are specifically designed for women -that's what I originally liked about the camilla.
Which is not made in a left-handed version which is why no one is recommending it for your intended use. In fact, there isn't ANY regular production left-handed rifle specifically designed for a female shooter.

Is the thinking process that it really isn't important to consider length of pull for a youth/woman.
What is it about "mass produced" you don't understand? Mass produced rifles are designed for, you know, the masses. Female shooters account for a small percentage of that. As stated previously, do the math.

I assume most gun stocks aren't designed to angle away from the body in order to accommodate a woman's body like the camilla, but if anyone knows of a specific rifle designed for the female figure that I could consider that would be much appreciated.
As stated previously, there is not a regular production left-handed rifle made to your specifications. NULA might be able to accommodate you and if you were prepared to spend the cash for a Weatherby Mark V Camilla -- WHICH IS NOT MADE IN LEFT-HANDED -- you may as well call Melvin at NULA and see what he can do for you.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My grand daughter is short statured with a full figure. I bought a standard Marlin XLS rifle in .270. And then put a short LOP Boyd's laminated stock on the rifle. LOP was good. And lack of "curve" in the butt stock did not seem to bother her. Heft of the laminated stock helps mitigate recoil. Kept the factory XLS stock in the unlikely case she wants to change it out in the future.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Best option in my opinion would be to find a LH Ruger American in 7-08 and buy a youth stock, then as she grows you could switch stocks. The LH 6.5 Creedmoor in the Ruger American has a heavier contour barrel.

The Ruger American LH may not be available? But they are out there on the used market.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my wife killed an average size cow elk at 125 yards with a 6.5 creedmoor and a 130 grain accubond. ran about 30 yards. I killed a very large cow elk at 350 yards with my 6.5 swede and 120 ttsx, ran about 30 yards. the swede and creed are the same.

as a fellow lefty i love my tikka t3 lite in 6.5 creed and im warming up to my lefty ruger american predator.

my wife shoots an a-bolt in 243 and a ruger american predator in 6.5 creed. She's a full figured 5'7" and all our rifles fit her and her a-bolt is our loaner for kids at the farm

FJB
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Blaser R8 (choose almost any caliber you want) is offered in a model specifically designed for the female anatomy. Called the Intuition, its designed for female and small statured shooters.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Summitsittin
Actually both my grandsons have AZ cow youth tags.
As I commented on earlier the 12 yr old will use his new Tikka with probably the 120 TTXS.
His younger brother, 10 years old, will use his mothers 7-08 with the 120 TTXS . It's a right hand Rem 700 youth model.

Everyone has their own preferences on bullet choice for elk. I watched my daughter place a 120 TTXS from her 7-08 thru both shoulder of a big 5X5 at over 200 yds.
The bullet exited and the bull dropped right there. I'm sure they will work in the 6.5 CM
I'm sold on Barnes and that's all we use in our 300 WSM, 300 Win, and 338.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
She is 5’7” and 135 lbs and very athletic. She has only been shooting my 22-250 single shot this summer and has no experience other than that. As I mentioned, she has small hands so I really want a narrow pistol grip and smaller length of pull.

Thanks again for the good info and continuing to give me options to consider..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.