-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, so nobody wants to survive off a few field mice or a handful of mussels for weeks. Obviously, all the contestants would love to score a deer, elk or moose if possible. But after they prepare it, then what? They don't have a freezer. The inside of their shelter needs to stay warm so they don't get hypothermia. They don't have a bunch of containers to stow it in. If it's freezing outside, they could wrap it in something and keep it out side the shelter, but then you have to worry about attracting predators into your area. The only thing I can think of is wrapping it and hoisting it up in a tree and hope birds don't peck away at it. You could smoke as much meat as possible. How long would that last? Would you keep smoked meat inside the shelter or would you worry about the shelter getting ransacked? If you could only keep a portion of the game, what would you personally choose to keep? Versus what you would use for trap bait etc. How would you guys manage such a challenge if you couldn't cut everything up, wrap it good, stow it in bigass igloo coolers until it gets home and in the butchers hand or in your freezer?

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
duckduck911 is the campfire “Alaska show” expert.

He’ll be along shortly.....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It’s fall in the Arctic. Get the hard protective layer on the meat and it’ll be fine till spring

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watch the season wear the dude killed a wolverine with his hatchet.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Consume as much as you can.....then hibernate, until they come for you! grin Actually, I think cut into several large quantities, freeze, and store as best you can with what you have to work with. Put these in several different locations, hoping that if predators get to it.....they won’t get it all! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’d think if it’s cold enough just leave it whole with the hide on it, hang it (high) and just let it freeze. Cut off what you want when you want it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder if you could slow dry/dehydrate it over a fire, grind it up and use any of the bone marrow to make pemmican.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I wouldn’t let it freeze with the hide on it—makes a mess when you try chunk it up later. I would keep the cache in one place—you won’t hide from a scavengers nose and he’ll just track you from cache to cache. I’d smoke and dry as much of it as I could.
You have to give some thought to how a high platform cache is constructed also—hard to make them bear and carcajou proof.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.