Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking for one that is not made in f ucking CHINA..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Stanley Sharptooth <$15

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wyoming saw. I’ve had one for 20 years.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Every 2-3years, I go down to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a miter box saw. I think they call them cross cut saws now. About $15. I use them every year on elk

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Take a look at Knapp on eBay. Best saw ever made!

Take them to your local saw shop every few years and have them sharpen it. I’ve had mine for about 20yrs.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 08/01/20.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by chesterwy

Yep 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9 inch pruning saw blade for your cordless sawzall.....

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22

+1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I've done that, and it sure does work if you're OK with the weight or hunting off horses. I saw a small chainsaw used one time too. Other than the bar oil getting on things, it worked pretty goodlaugh.

As far as a bone saw, the original Wyoming saw is what I have used for quite a while. I believe there are some knock offs out there....so make sure to get it through Wyoming Knife products. I've quit carrying it though, since I discovered using a good hatchet, and don't even use one of them anymore on critters since going completely gutless. All a guy needs is a knife and knowledge of the joints.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Wicked tree saw, with bone blade.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I've done that, and it sure does work if you're OK with the weight or hunting off horses. I saw a small chainsaw used one time too. Other than the bar oil getting on things, it worked pretty goodlaugh.

As far as a bone saw, the original Wyoming saw is what I have used for quite a while. I believe there are some knock offs out there....so make sure to get it through Wyoming Knife products. I've quit carrying it though, since I discovered using a good hatchet, and don't even use one of them anymore on critters since going completely gutless. All a guy needs is a knife and knowledge of the joints.

I haven't used bone saws for decades. Just a hatchet to split the brisket and the pelvis, then a sharp knife to cut into and through the joints.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have little personal experience with using saws on animals as I am a solo back pack hunter so everything gets broken down with a small kestrel (A+!!!) knife and packed out deboned. The times I’ve hunted with others that prefer to drag out animals whole or literally cut into quarters I have seen generators with recip’s, large bow saws, hatchets or just a heavy bladed knife with a nearby stick used to hammer it through sternum and pelvis, used.

A couple years ago as I was leaving a quick morning hunt I ran into an older fellow that I’d met a couple times over the previous days prior, headed into an area near where I’d been glassing from a bluff. He’d shot a decent bodied muley off a ridge and was circling in below as far as he could get with his truck. It dropped in an extremely rough area! As he didn’t have a pack and was headed in on foot with a small fluorescent toboggan, I offered to help knowing he was in for a rough morning ahead. He pulled out a “Japanese pocket saw” (folding keyhole saw) his son had bought him wearing a 12tpi blade and sliced through pelvis and sternum like butter. I have to say I was impressed even if it isn’t my style. It was a slog of a pull out and for my help he gave me that saw though I tried to tell him I didn’t need it and would most likely never use it (holds true).

For those that like to do things that way I do recommend that little pocket saw and at 6” and 4.4oz it’s not much effort to carry. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/saws/keyhole/63146-japanese-pocket-saws

Pitter Patter!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by chesterwy

Yep 👍

Yep for the third time. As a side note, I drilled holes in my end handle for a slight weight savings with no adverse issues.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Wyoming saw.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

We did that last year. For what we do, which is lopping legs off at the ankle and occasionally cutting moose ribs, I don't think it is worth it. You make the fastest part of the job slightly faster. So you turn 6 minutes of cutting with a handsaw into 2 minutes of cutting with a sawzall. Even fully mechanized, that isnt worth it to me. Now, if you are splitting ribcages down the spine, thats a different story. But we have avoided that so far, and I hope that luck holds.

My vote goes to the stanley sharptooth.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wyoming saw!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Vern, it looks like Stanley makes several versions with different teeth. Which do you prefer? Thanks.

Last edited by WMR; 08/04/20. Reason: typo
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
As others have stated.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR
Vern, it looks like Stanley makes several versions with different teeth. Which do you prefer? Thanks.

10" Smooth Cut

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used a Gerber Sliding Saw with a bone blade for years. Made in the USA and it has always worked well for me.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 72 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.