Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Get them horse dogs to pull you in a wagon.

Have a monkey ride shotgun.

And I like goat meat.

Is Catholicism a Ford religion?

I am MAGA.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get them horse dogs to pull you in a wagon.

Have a monkey ride shotgun.

And I like goat meat.

Is Catholicism a Ford religion?

Them dogs won't even fetch. Look at you like you're retarded. If i put them in traces they'd likely revolt and eat me.

Cabrito is supposed to be good? Dunno, but yeah definitely Ford. Like late 90's F150 with the lame front end. laugh But it'll still get you where you're going!

What do the Conrad's have for dogs?

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Nice!
Looks like there would be enough fur shedding in the spring to knit sweaters for the entire Gruff clan.

All joking aside, you really could. The birds around here love it when they get brushed. Looks like a dog exploded in the yard.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Check with waterrat here. He has a couple and lives remotely on Lake Iliamna where they have lots of brown bears. The dogs do some amazing things.

Bernese Mountain dogs were mentioned by someone... they are a very sad excuse for a breed. The incredible health issues and early deaths added to the cost of buying one make them about the most expensive dog to own... and least useful.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have a couple of English Shepherds.

Dad has one too.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
.. I'll stick with the sarplaninac/anatolian/ovcharka type.

That's a whole 'nother level of "dog"!

Makes KBD's look like Pomeranians.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's me hugging my male. Big sweethearts with people. Fubar's met them. I'll not be without any going forward. These guys are half anatolian half sarplaninac. When times comes to replace them it'll be the same or ovcharkas. Kissing cousins.

Thanks for the intel... looking at Anatolian info now.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing

That's me hugging my male. Big sweethearts with people. Fubar's met them. I'll not be without any going forward. These guys are half anatolian half sarplaninac. When times comes to replace them it'll be the same or ovcharkas. Kissing cousins.

Not bailing on KBD...

How nimble would a Anatolian be against a couple of 35-45 coyotes? Yes two or three against one kinda stuff.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
On the serious side, I'd check with Yukon 254 as he has a remote lodge with bear issues and he keeps
bear dogs.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
35 to 45 coyotes?

Do they have large talons?

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
35 to 45 coyotes?

Do they have large talons?

Pound...

Thanks on the spectacular catch.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love dog threads. Even those that go sideways. Working/sporting dogs fascinate me.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its what I do.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its what I do.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess the bears and yotes aren't quite so fierce up here every dog I've had except the one lap dog has had no trouble chasing either away and none got hurt. Have had about 10 different dogs they were all heinz 57s 70-100 lbs. Well actually Timber my wife's dog when I met her may have been a pure Blue Healer but he came from the SPCA so we don't know for sure. And right now I've got a pure Catahoula, jurries still out on her at 2.5 years old, she's done OK with the couple bears we've ran in to so far.

Anyways had to look up the Karelian dogs never heard of them. Cool looking dogs. Personally they sound a bit too keen on the job for my taste I don't want to have to find and pull a dog off a bear I want it to chase the thing a couple few hundred yards and come back or get it treed and come back when called. YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some dogs are yard protection and some are rangers.

When we were looking at getting sheep we were looking at dogs too Gruff.

Pyrenees for staying with the herd.....and Akbash for perimeter work.

There is no "plenty" amount of land for a running dog.

True enough.

I've never owned a Pyrenees but I've been around and seen quite few. More than one were roamers....... and they're popular with retards so a guy needs to be careful what breeder he goes with. But that's true of any kinda working dog. Just that the odds of getting a dink are less with the less popular breeds. I fenced my perimeter, so as long as they get nailed once by the hot wire they seem to stay put. But before I ran that low wire, they were 5 miles away last time I went after them. I pulled their collars off and said there is no next time fuggers.

There are a lot of sheep owners around here, and they all think they have to own a Pyrenees All I know, is they don't have any idea where they are most of the time and when you drive by their sheep and pasture you better not have your arm hanging out the window. You will lose it. We have lot's of coyotes and some wolves, and they might do their job then but I doubt it.
Again all dogs are as smart as their owner. I would trust a Border Collie before any just because they are smart and can be trained..I don't know what a Llama would do with a bear, but they sure work good on coyotes!

Last edited by kennymauser; 08/01/20. Reason: adding comment
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Nice!
Looks like there would be enough fur shedding in the spring to knit sweaters for the entire Gruff clan.

All joking aside, you really could. The birds around here love it when they get brushed. Looks like a dog exploded in the yard.

Our WSL is still shedding. She loses anymore and we'll have to start telling people she's a Western Russian Hairless.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Karliea is in Finland and Russia and in the Old Country they weren’t used much on Bear.
I hunted with the guy who imported one of the first ones in Canada—in 1972. It was semi-silent on track—wouldn’t bark until it saw the moose and then did its best to hold it. We killed a lot of moose in front of that dog but he wasn’t much of pet—a real working dog.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If your serious...get a Plott hound. powdr

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Not bailing on KBD...

How nimble would a Anatolian be against a couple of 35-45 coyotes? Yes two or three against one kinda stuff.

Not going to wade into the dog fighting aspect, but if you go with the guardian breeds get a pair. They work well together, and while it's more coin up front the dogs will thank you.

MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, two can work together and why we have always had two dogs together when living in the sticks.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 68 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,138
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.