Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My dad had a nice '03 sporterized once upon a time. Feeling nostalgic, I started hunting around for a a '03 to do a similar project. Holy smokes! When did Springfields become trendy? I guess I'm old enough to remember them as a dime a dozen so to speak.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
It happened around the time all us old farts realized we've rather a lot in our 401ks and not that much time to spend it. Fortunately for me one has lived at my house since they were $250 or so all day. Its a kitchen table custom that's almost finished.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Raise a chiller of fine bourbon to the late Michael Petrov! He generated a lot of interest. Then many of us have good taste!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I had an 03-A3 action with a custom trigger, 03 Milled bottom metal, and Wisner two-position safety installed watched on Gun Broker but decided I didn’t need another money pit custom and it sold for <$300. Kicking myself now!

This is one I built a few years ago with parts from all over. A member here (6mm Remington IIRC) sold me the action for an excellent price. I wanted something period-correct (a different kind of classic) and I really like how it turned out even tho it’s pretty dated and rather garish to some... 6.5-06:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sharp!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My first project while in high school. Herter's French walnut, later had a SS McGowen barrel fitted in that unmentionalbe caliber. Added a Jaeger safety and Timney trigger. Had a friend weld the new bolt handle.

Glassed and free floated, did the skip-a-line checkering (cool back then) and rosewood inlays. Not the slickest workmanship, but it shoots great. Just a tad heavy, but I was young...

I took a LOT of wood off the roll over cheek piece. Even back then, I thought it was a bit gauche.

The French walnut wasn't bad, some sap wood, but otherwise OK.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/29/20.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Millions of Springfields were made. Young dudes want black rifles. Where are all the Springfields now?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LIKE ⚫️

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by hatari
Millions of Springfields were made. Young dudes want black rifles. Where are all the Springfields now?

Being hoarded by old farts like us who know quality when we see it wink !?!?

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by efw
I had an 03-A3 action with a custom trigger, 03 Milled bottom metal, and Wisner two-position safety installed watched on Gun Broker but decided I didn’t need another money pit custom and it sold for <$300. Kicking myself now!

This is one I built a few years ago with parts from all over. A member here (6mm Remington IIRC) sold me the action for an excellent price. I wanted something period-correct (a different kind of classic) and I really like how it turned out even tho it’s pretty dated and rather garish to some... 6.5-06:

Sweet!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My first project while in high school. Herter's French walnut, later had a SS McGowen barrel fitted in that unmentionalbe caliber. Added a Jaeger safety and Timney trigger. Had a friend weld the new bolt handle.

Glassed and free floated, did the skip-a-line checkering (cool back then) and rosewood inlays. Not the slickest workmanship, but it shoots great. Just a tad heavy, but I was young...

I took a LOT of wood off the roll over cheek piece. Even back then, I thought it was a bit gauche.

The French walnut wasn't bad, some sap wood, but otherwise OK.

Sweet!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Elk

An old fart's, old fart rifle.

Good deer gun. Maybe a tad light for yo jackwabbits...

Probably have to hit'em a few times to stop one.

It's in that unmentionable .277 caliber. But, I was young.... blush

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't know ,I've only got 2 03's but 5 03A3's.not a stock one in the lot. They don't bring much modified, I think they are one hell of a gun for the money MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Rock Island 1903 250 Savage

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Rock Island 1903 250 Savage

Nice rifle!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My dad got one through the NRA in the early 60s. Believe it was $25. It’s still in the family .

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hatari

This. I see 8 ARs for every rifle at my range.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are 3 or 4 custom 03s for sale in my area, but they are priced way to high in my opinion. All still in 30-06 caliber

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This one has an original '42 Springfield barrel that looks near mint thru the Hawkeye, has vintage Fajen stock, Timney trigger . Got David Christman, Delhi, LA, to do the bolt handle and install the Dayton Traister Mark II safety I picked up on EBay for $14. Shoots near MOA with 130 gr. Horn SP over 59 gr. Big Game at around 3,100 fps. Lots of one shot DRT kills, WT's, hogs and 'yotes, last season.

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I just have one Springfield. It is a 30/06 Sedgley Sporter that somebody added a Whiteline recoil pad to and put a compass in the buttstock.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,739
Posts18,457,647
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.