Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
The AAV isn't a "tank"

I worked with a Tanker officer for a while at Quantico. He was a good guy. liked guns and stuff. Anyways, he always referred to amtracs as 'tracked dumpsters'. It was kind of funny.

LOL

Yeah. LOL, fugger.

Whoops. I mean the other one. smile

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/01/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've rode in a few AAVs along the way. Going off the ramp of the well deck into the ocean always made me just a little uneasy. Always some water in the top, not much, but enough to make you think.

Makes my heart go out to those Marines who must have went to the bottom in 600 feet of water. What a nightmare.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bad deal. Prayers for the Marines and their families.

Those AAVs aren't just scary in the water: they're also built like beer cans (or were at least).
IEDs and mines ripped them in half, several times. I wanted nothing to do with them. I rode in the AGunner's hatch of one at 29 Palms one time though. It was a much smoother ride than I had expected.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
In An Nasiriyah we had a couple lit up by A-10 Warthogs. Really bad day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RIP for those lost in training to fight Our enemies...

Sadly, this...

The BRRRT is actually much worse than hollywierd portrays, and it's almost as if, (|{everytime hollywierd})| creates an image, concept, or retelling of an event, it's near always disproportionately inverted.

I still have unsolved questions about this and many other events in my recent lifetime...If I have seen FLIR video of muslims copulating livestock from an AH-64, how do we not have constant knowledge of where our Boots currently are, and beyond that...the same concept that faces us in ALL firearm aspects. To ID the target before launch of said projectile. Does the Army have better cameras than the Air Force..? Or does the Air Force really hate the Marines that much...if so, why? TIA

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The fog of war is a real thing and I am sure plays a part. POS reports need to be given religiously, but sometimes they're not relayed properly to the air officers, FSCC, etc.. All it takes is someone getting a grid off by one digit, either by fat fingering a keyboard/keypad or stuttering on the radio. The speed at which troops can move can make POS reports just a few minutes old completely invalid too. Pilots then see troops just a few hundred yards from where they think friendlies are, and the unthinkable happens. Add to that the incompetence of some people, even senior enlisted men and officers/company commanders, etc.

It shouldn't happen in the open desert, but does. I am sure it happened in Vietnam and the South Pacific even more often, due to the pilots not being able to see what they're firing at, and the lack of precise coordinates provided by today's GPS capabilities. Same with urban operations.

I've seen both GMLRS and 155mm artillery rounds go into the wrong places, due to all of the above. Luckily all the times I saw it happen the rounds landed in random areas and no friendlies got hurt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Its always a sad day when Marines lose their lives, especially in training accidents and the likes...
it happens.. I had to clean up a few after the fact training accidents in the Army... Worst had to be the guy who was ran over by an M60 Tank....the chopper crash wasn't very fun either...Huey went done killing one.. and turning another into a paraplegic for the rest of their life...

Prayers to their fellow Marines, who were their buddies... and prayers for the loved ones that are left behind, without their loved one no longer in their lives...

They kept their oath right up to their last tho....

Always Faithful...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Training deaths suck.
Seen a few.
Heard about alot of em.
Advoidable the vast majority of times.

Overlooked things or complacency cost lives needlessly.
The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
That old saying is a good one and paid attention too in many ways.

Sad stuff for all involved.

Last edited by renegade50; 08/02/20.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
RIP for those lost in training to fight Our enemies...

Sadly, this...

The BRRRT is actually much worse than hollywierd portrays, and it's almost as if, (|{everytime hollywierd})| creates an image, concept, or retelling of an event, it's near always disproportionately inverted.

I still have unsolved questions about this and many other events in my recent lifetime...If I have seen FLIR video of muslims copulating livestock from an AH-64, how do we not have constant knowledge of where our Boots currently are, and beyond that...the same concept that faces us in ALL firearm aspects. To ID the target before launch of said projectile. Does the Army have better cameras than the Air Force..? Or does the Air Force really hate the Marines that much...if so, why? TIA

USAF was cleared hot to engage enemy north of the Nasiriyah bridges. Marines were already up there, but the information in 2003 wasn't as good or fast as today. USAF pilots didn't visually recognize the USMC AAV as friendly, so they put the A-10s to work. I'm sure they believed they were engaging the enemy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.