-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.kten.com/story/42435389/city-of-tulsa-will-remove-black-lives-matter-street-sign grin

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — The city of Tulsa has decided to remove a massive “Black Lives Matter'' sign painted on a city street following a request from a group of local Republicans seeking permission to paint a “Back the Blue” sign.

Tulsa councilors decided to get rid of the sign during a Wednesday council meeting in which they discussed whether paintings on city streets are legal without permits.

The discussion kicked off last week after Bob Jack, chairman of the Tulsa Republican Party, asked his councilor about the procedure for painting a mural in support of law enforcement officers. Jack said it was a rhetorical question because he already knows the city does not have a process for street paintings.

Jack said he is not against the signs, but he doesn't think it should be on a city street.

Tulsa City attorney David O’Meilia said paintings on city streets are only allowed for safety reasons, like crosswalks or yield signs.

Councilor Connie Dodson said she is not against what the “Black Lives Matter” sign represents.

“But (as) this discussion has shown, it is kind of a slippery slope when it gets into that kind of activity,” Dodson said.

Dodson asked the City Attorney’s Office to draft an ordinance “that would prohibit this type of free speech on our sidewalks and streets so that it is clear and then we don’t have the ambiguity anymore.”

Without the city's approval, a group of activists and volunteers painted the sign just before the arrival of President Donald Trump for a campaign rally and Juneteenth, a state holiday commemorating the emancipation of Black slaves in America.

Briana Shea, who helped make the 250 foot (76.20 meters) long sign, said she thought it healed the community the days surrounding Trump’s visit.

“I am kind of disappointed that it was left up to a city vote, not a community vote, because it was all based around community and community (donated) dollars, not city dollars,” Shea said.

The Mayor’s Office said Wednesday that there is not a scheduled day or time to remove the “Black Lives Matter” sign.

City Traffic Engineer Kurt Kraft said he was told not to remove the street sign until the City Council could meet with the Mayor’s Office to discuss next steps.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I look forward to moving back to Oklahoma.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Connie needs removal from decision making. Probably too late for remedial education.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A few leaky 5 gallon buckets of red, white, and blue barn paint strapped to the tailgate of a pickup would improve the looks of that BLM sign immensely. Just drill a 1/4" hole in each bucket and drive back and forth over the sign.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Damn all I see when I go to Tulsa are Mescans.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Brazos

I’m just about halfway between Tulsa and OKC. Moved down here from up by KC 4 years ago to retire and get away from some very toxic family. The summers might be hot but I feel very free here. It’s a good feeling.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by papat

I’m just about halfway between Tulsa and OKC. Moved down here from up by KC 4 years ago to retire and get away from some very toxic family. The summers might be hot but I feel very free here. It’s a good feeling.

Yup,
Lived in Pryor/Adair area, Midwest City, and Lawton/Ft. Sill.

I claim to be Texan by heritage, but Tejas Del Norte sounds better all the time.

Regards,
Bob.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by papat

Where were you at by KC?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Lived in Lawson for 35 yrs. NE of KC

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Looks like they opened up a can of worms and now they are trying to get them back in the can.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Glad they are doing that!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by reivertom
Looks like they opened up a can of worms and now they are trying to get them back in the can.

It’s tough to get your virginity back.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Isn't Tulsa now an Indian reservation, controlled by the indian affairs office?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It should be publicly advertised as a bounty on the BLM and antifa heads that'll shut them up pretty damn fast in the midwest area

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Isn't Tulsa now an Indian reservation, controlled by the indian affairs office?

RedLivesMatter

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just to be fair to everyone involved it should be painted over in black with yellow or white stripes down the middle. Only idiots would paint such a sign and then claim it heals the community. Dumbest thing I’ve heard yet today but the day is still young.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AZmark
Just to be fair to everyone involved it should be painted over in black with yellow or white stripes down the middle. Only idiots would paint such a sign and then claim it heals the community. Dumbest thing I’ve heard yet today but the day is still young.

I’ll second that. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by doubletap

It’s tough to get your virginity back.

My first wife tried her best to do that.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,197 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.