Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I use one of those Primos can calls while making the 12' waterfall. It works.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Pee in a bottle if you are worried about the smell

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pissing in a scrape doesn't seem to bother a deer.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Ive never found that pissing out of any of my stands has ever caused any issues. I also piss in every scrape I find! Choke it down and let it fly!! LOL

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First, I'm not sure a deer can identify human urine as such, unless they've learned by some experience. Second, if a deer can smell your pee on the ground below your stand, it's likely they can smell your breath and b.o. as well.

It makes sense to minimize clues to your presence during the early season, but once the pumpkins hit the woods, their stink and noise are everywhere, and the deer have to cope with that or stay in a constant state of agitation. I doubt it matters much at that point where you pee, poop, fart, or belch, unless they see or hear you do it.

I've seen gum meant to keep your breath from scaring deer; wonder if there's something you can eat to make your pee smell good to them, maybe asparagus?🤢

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
down here the hogs don't like it .they will run if they smell it .i use a big plastic salsa bottle

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
right or wrong ? it might depend on where you hunt and the size of the deer your hunting. city deer probably don`t matter ? farmland deer no problem, deep woods bigger bucks in Canada,northern Minnesota,northern Wisconsin it might make a difference ? i take a empty gallon milk jug to use just in case it does make a difference ? if we could only talk to deer we would know the true answer ? my wife`s flowers i pee by alot and now the deer leave them alone finally.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Non-issue, you can actually pee in a spot to stop a deer in a shooting lane. If on the ground, I would be much more concerned about leaving scent where you stand or brushing tall grass or other vegetation.

Having hunting apple trees many times. Dropping apples will bring deer in if they are close enough to hear them thump the ground.

Will the sound of urine or water hitting the ground from a treestand attract deer? No idea.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS

Will the sound of urine or water hitting the ground from a treestand attract deer? No idea.

I can't tell you to use it as a tactic, per se. But YES..........it can and has.

Was in a double stand with my boy bowhunting when he was about 10. I couldn't hold it any longer and made a 20 foot waterfall into the frosty leaves. It was loud. The sound of my leak was hardly done when a young buck came quickly, STRAIGHT to the bottom of our tree.

The sound of taking a leak out of a tree is very similar to the sound of a doe letting loose.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PS. Many times I've taken a whizz on a scrape on my way out at night only to find the scrpe had been well worked when I was on my way back in the next morning.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B3

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by hanco
Hang a funnel with a piece of garden hose going to the ground

I did something similar in our ground blinds. SuperCore liked it so much I added one to the second floor of deer camp, so he wouldn't have to come downstairs in the middle of the night.

Deer Funnels

Genius I say! Well done sir.

Thank you! About the only trouble I had with this contraption-- it's been up for a decade now in 3 locations-- is that one year it attracted Junebugs in the off season. I went to use it and it was plugged with Junebug carcasses. It was weird too. There were intact carcasses on top, and ever-more-degraded ones going down the funnel until there were just dark plugs going into the hose. I brought out the air compressor and shot them out the window. Some of those carcasses must have flown 50 feet!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Hang a funnel with a piece of garden hose going to the ground

Same here, but didn't need the funnel or hose to reach the ground.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Is it wrong that I'd receive a greater sense of accomplishment from pissing on a B&C grade whitetail than from putting a bullet from its vitals?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Filaman
Just piss in a milk jug and put the lid on quick. It works. If you're really anal about it bring along a bottle of descenting spray. It's not Missile surgery. Deer have an uncanny strong sense of smell. But if you piss in a jug and put the top on it keeps that piss smell out of the wind.

Yup, only I use empty laundry detergent jugs.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently this thread is never going to die.

Many years ago I was one who ONLY peed in bottles on stand. Then read a well-done study from Texas (which is where most meaningful whitetail statistics originate), which found that during the rut bucks were not only attracted to the sound of urinating but the smell of male human hormones.

Which may be why my experience is bucks like piss, especially during the rut.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I can't tell that it's ever bothered any deer I've seen. I used to carry a pee bottle, but after seeing bucks tear up scrapes that have been pissed in, I gave that up.

If I gotta go, I go.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Breeding age bucks are extremely competitive during the rut. I went to a deer hunting seminar once when the speaker mentioned that one of the ways that he has gotten a nocturnal buck to show himself in the daylight was to gather up dirt from a scrape somewhere else and bring it to the scrape from the buck that you want to hunt. I’ve never watered a scrape with my own urine because I’ve read that being a meat eater, my urine might smell more like a predator.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I thought of this thread a few minutes ago when I stepped outside to mark territory.....while doing so I watched a doe about 50 yard away in the soybeans.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I thought of this thread a few minutes ago when I stepped outside to mark territory.....while doing so I watched a doe about 50 yard away in the soybeans.

As long as you didn't curl your lip and snort while you were watching her, it's OK.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Old news

Deer can’t tell piss from piss

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,562
Posts18,453,715
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.