-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i live on a creek off of the ICW came home one afternoon in the boat and seal was laying up on the bank sunning it's self. i was like what the fugg had to be at least 5/ 6 hundred miles south of were it should be

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After growing up in West Texas, living in NM for years, and generally being away from the coast, I remember seeing a dolphin was a pretty big deal.

Still pretty neat.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alligator about 12 miles off coast of Fourchon, LA.

Looking off the rig, thought it was a driftwood log... got close enough i could make out a gator.

He prolly didn’t make it back.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Today, sandhill crane, blue heron, osprey, three bald eagles. Cussed at three out of four.... wink.

Seen, and trapped quite a few otters over the years. Occupational hazard. Had a mink last year, the dogs got that one. It’s good to be reminded how “abnormal” our lives really are.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Today, sandhill crane, blue heron, osprey, three bald eagles. Cussed at three out of four.... wink.

Seen, and trapped quite a few otters over the years. Occupational hazard. Had a mink last year, the dogs got that one. It’s good to be reminded how “abnormal” our lives really are.

Your partridge dogs get that stinky minky?

Some are pretty good sized, I think all three of our whippets could take one, but in a 1 on 1 situation I'd bet on the mustelid.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Dutch

Your partridge dogs get that stinky minky?

Some are pretty good sized, I think all three of our whippets could take one, but in a 1 on 1 situation I'd bet on the mustelid.

One lab, one partridge dog..... the lab being young and dumb and full of...... got it first and there was a yip or two. The second dog shortened the game considerably. I was surprised how big it was, but we have a couple of mink farms around, so we get all manner of colors and sizes come by.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I always thought otters were cute...............until I started buying fish to stock our pond. They will clean out a pond in no time. There is a 160 acre lake about 2 miles from me and a couple of weeks ago one of the care takers told me they killed 4 in one day. Havent seen any since. Smart little fuggers..........if your lucky you can get one shot at them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Didnt know an otter was a mustelid.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Didnt know an otter was a mustelid.

+

Yep, they run all humpty up when on land like that wolverine you saw.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Otters used to be the bane of may existence, back when I ran a trout farm. Dogs actually cornered a yearling (on dry ground), and it was fascinating to see how they would feign, alternatively, and wear that big weasel out in a matter of minutes. Without intervention, it would not have ended well for the otter.

Otters typically travel in family groups on a 2 to 3 week circuit. So if you chase them off, they'll be back, like clockwork around two weeks or so later. If they get any kind of pressure, they go nocturnal, and then you never get another crack at them.

When I was at the farm, I had a native trapper (because of restrictions on take for round eyes), and the biggest one she pulled out of the farm was a 6'3" female. She was a trout fed mama that lived to her full potential!

But to just be able to watch them fooling around in the river was a joy. They are amazing animals.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah Dutch, they can be a pain.

Boss at one place I worked was worried they were working their way upriver. Some trapper he knew had caught a few downstream. Figured it was only a matter of time before they got to our place. He was seriously worried about the 7-10 year old lake trout broodstock, in the prime of their egg production. A 6' otter could easily manage one of them, and likely more for the family.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not as exotic as otters and bears, but this little character has been hanging around the farm the last several days. We have an island on our pond, and he walks across the bridge to the island. Once on the island he will lay down, and snooze for a good part of the day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by tikkanut

how about this cute little guy ?

Just don't pizz him off

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What is that?

Pop! Goes the weasel!

wink

Fiesty little ___________

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That prairie dog will make a few tasty meals for it! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Its been a while since I have seen a mink here, but in the spring they are everywhere. See at least one or two every day. Only seen one otter lately, had to chase it out of our raceway. He has a few more months until I'll take care of him, unless we get our nuisance permit renewed. Lots of bears around.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A doe, and her fawn just north of the road yesterday.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw the first bunny on the place on Saturday! Apparently rooming with the skunk under the tool shed..... first one I’ve seen since I started the farm in ‘99.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Needed some diesel for the tractor, so I took the wifey along, so she could get an ice cream sandwich. On the way back, we took the back roads and saw 3 deer in 3 different places. All this about 12:30 in the afternoon. Deer were out in the middle of the day.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did not see it, but from the sounds of it we had a bobcat in the yard the other night.
Sure did have the house cat looking for a better place to hide!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Today we had the trifecta. Elk, deer and turkeys in the meadow/orchard, all accompanied by this year's youngsters. We laugh when they get in the irrigation ditch (elk and deer) and splash around. They seem to have accepted our presence most of the time, then at others they quietly blend into the brush and are gone.

It's a wonderful life.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.