Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
City folks just don't know what they're missing.

This morning it was in the upper 60's, and I was drinking my coffee while sitting on the porch, looking out across the back yard. Saw something move by a stump and out ran a otter. Crossed my back yard within 35' of me and ran on into the bushes. The nearest creek that keeps water year round is about a mile away, but he was headed in the other direction. There is a wet weather branch a 100 yds or so in the direction it was going.

Over the years, I've trapped several otters and this one was about 2/3's grown.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never seen an otter in the wild.

I did have an ermine come around the house for awhile though.

Saw an ocelot once while coon hunting.

I like seeing things your don't encounter often! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Barry, I've never seen an ermine or an ocelot, so you're 2 up on me. I hope, one of these days, I get to see a bear in the wild. We have a few in La. and once every few years, one is seen around this part of the country.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Barry,I have never seen ermine, in Texas, have seen them in the Rocky's, . 3 years ago a little kid in Rio Grande City tried to sell me a ocelot kitten, looked to be 2-3 months old, he wanted $200.00 for it. I have seen ocelot here on the ranch, mostly early morning in the dark taking hunters out, catch then in my head lights,

Randy, Never seen an otter here. most otter I have ever seen were in Calif. on the coast. Rio7

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A few weeks ago I stepped out of the cabin and heard a "woof". There not 20 yards away was a sow and a cub. She allowed me to head back in to grab my iPhone while the cub rocketed into the woods.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen a couple of otters here, and there is a season on them, but I didn't kill them. Have seen a few mink in the wild, and caught a large one in a trap after it had killed several chickens. I have seen bears in the Smokies, and in the Shenandoah Forrest. One was spotted in the county I live in a few years ago, and there are lots of them in Eastern Kentucky, on the other side of the state.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7

Barry,I have never seen ermine, in Texas, have seen them in the Rocky's, . 3 years ago a little kid in Rio Grande City tried to sell me a ocelot kitten, looked to be 2-3 months old, he wanted $200.00 for it. I have seen ocelot here on the ranch, mostly early morning in the dark taking hunters out, catch then in my head lights,

Randy, Never seen an otter here. most otter I have ever seen were in Calif. on the coast. Rio7

Blue, I should have been more clear.

The one I saw was in NM.

What was surprising was that it wasn't in the mountains, but in the desert flats. It was winter colored, too... White.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are in the southeast Arizona desert and elevation ranges from about 3,000 to 5,000 feet. Saw a bear one time along side a wash and what appeared to be a very dark brown or black mountain lion crossed a wash in front of me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've mentioned this before, but it is still great. A number of years ago, the DNR imported some otters to be released at the Chelsea Marsh. It was a big event, covered by local news. A cameraman knelt down in perfect position to film an otter as it was released form its cage. It came rocketing out, bit the cameraman, and headed into the marsh.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Worked stream surveys on the N coast of Cali in the 90's. One of the wildlife guys on that crew worked with fishers. I got to help him release a trapped one after working it up for his grad study.

Fast forward a few years, on my way to work in NW PA. Gravel road about 6 miles to get to work from the hiway. Something crosses the road in front of me, headed toward the river. Too small for river otter which aren't all that to fishers, too big for a mink. I say to self, that's a friggen fisher, but I don't think they have them here.

Fast fwd a few months, I'm at a conference with PA G&F, talk to the local guy. Told him I think I saw a fisher, and described my experience in Cali with them. He immediately gets very excited and asks just where did I see it. I gave him location. He said that's cool, we released some about 20 miles away a few years back to help control porcupine populations, we didn't know they'd spread so far.

Lotta porkies there, and a lot of woods for them to use. Food and habitat will do it every time.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, stopped at a rest area on the 2 lane road from coastal Cali to Grants Pass OR. Look over, see something moving. Say to self, is that a cat? it comes around the building for the restroom and it's a dang Pine Marten. First one of them I'd ever seen not on a TV screen.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
While out riding my mule in a secluded area. I came around a clump of trees and there was couple going at it buck naked. She was making enough noise they never heard me.Looked and sounded like they were getting close to finish,so I backed out of there without them seeing me or saying any thing.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'd rather have my balls pounded with a wooden hammer..........

than live in a bigger town than I do now......

Out my back door.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Saw a wolverine once.

Humpity humpity humping along.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That would make my day, week, month, maybe even year.

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

For years , I have had people ask me if we have bears, here on the ranch? my answer was there ain't no bears in Texas, then a few years ago I was in Big Bend, parked beside the road, my dog needed to go out so we walk up a path about 200 yards just looking around, came around a tree and there was a bear sitting on a rock about 30 yards away, we sat down on a rock beside the trail and looked at each other for awhile, then the bear wandered off. Talked to a park ranger he said they had about 30 bears in the park. I had been telling people wrong for years. Rio7

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have seen a few otter in the Red Water river in western South Dakota. We have a few mink around too, some are on our place and probably live in the marsh on the upper end of our irrigation reservoir. They are chocolate brown with a small white chest patch.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

how about this cute little guy ?

Just don't pizz him off

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Just don't pizz him off

What is that?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Just don't pizz him off

What is that?

Pop! Goes the weasel!

wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.